Gibson Brands Forums

Under Great White Northern Lights

Silenced Fred

I really liked it. For those that don't know, its the documentary about the White Stripes and it follows their tour around Canada. You get to see a lot of stuff that goes on between them, and how they interact with each other, as well as some cool live material. The White Stripes was really an indulgence for Jack, but not as much as I had thought before.

Highly recommended if you like the White Stripes, or even if you don't.

I'm a huge Jack White fan, I am to Jack White as Joshlay is to Gary Moore and Steve Vai COMBINED

Ive been a White Stripes fan since I was a little kid. (shows how young I am)

I like Dead Weather and Racontuers too. I was gonna go to this free Dead Weather show at the Glass House in Pomona but I ended up not being able to make it. I was gonna take this girl I really liked too. It was a double whammy.

I didn't care much for the most recent White Stripes music.

I just watched It Might Get Loud. It was pretty cool. I enjoyed it.

Ive been a White Stripes fan since I was a little kid. (shows how young I am)

I like Dead Weather and Racontuers too. I was gonna go to this free Dead Weather show at the Glass House in Pomona but I ended up not being able to make it. I was gonna take this girl I really liked too. It was a double whammy.

I didn't care much for the most recent White Stripes music.

I just watched It Might Get Loud. It was pretty cool. I enjoyed it.

Jack White is probably my biggest influence for guitar. I love em' date=' the music isn't the "greatest" but who determines how good music is? I like it, how it sounds, the emotion, the feel, so if someone says he sucks, I don't care. They really are a good band though, and one thing you learn about it is that Meg wasn't dragged into this kicking and screaming. Listening to most of their music, it seems that she plays a very very minor role, but she does her thing.

The Raconteurs are great, they have a lot of different sounding songs, and White and the other guitarist (his name eludes me [biggrin ) complement each other nicely. The Dead Weather takes a little while to get into.

It Might Get Loud was a great movie IMO, I learned alot. I love documentaries though.

And here I thought this was about the real northern lights. Oh well; I miss them from when I lived in Upper Mich' date=' and Alaska[/quote']

Nah, I'm a huge Jack White fan. I can start posting videos like no other, then you guys will think every post I do will be about him [biggrin]

and White and the other guitarist (his name eludes me [biggrin] )

Brendan Benson is the name you're looking for.

And I thought Under Great White Northern Lights was fantastic' date=' as well as the Nova Scotian Lights album which features some cool rarely played songs (the version of I Fought Pihranas is fantastic).

I'm a huge Jack White fan overall, and would say that The White Stripes and The Dead Weather perpetually fight for the #1 JW-band spot, depending on which mood I'm in (I've had a real Dead Weather-kick the last couple of days because of the new single), and the Raconteurs is just slightly behind. They're great, but both WS and TDW have a better [i']great songs:number of songs-ratio.[/i]

Brendan Benson is the name you're looking for.

And I thought Under Great White Northern Lights was fantastic' date=' as well as the Nova Scotian Lights album which features some cool rarely played songs (the version of I Fought Pihranas is fantastic).

I'm a huge Jack White fan overall, and would say that The White Stripes and The Dead Weather perpetually fight for the #1 JW-band spot, depending on which mood I'm in (I've had a real Dead Weather-kick the last couple of days because of the new single), and the Raconteurs is just slightly behind. They're great, but both WS and TDW have a better [i']great songs:number of songs-ratio.[/i]

For me, I can listen to both Raconteurs albums through and not skip a song. White is so eclectic in his playing, its amazing.

What songs would you recommend by TDW? I have just started to listen to them a little while ago.

For me' date=' I can listen to both Raconteurs albums through and not skip a song. White is so eclectic in his playing, its amazing.

What songs would you recommend by TDW? I have just started to listen to them a little while ago.[/quote']

Honestly, I think that their whole first album, Horehound, is A-grade stuff. The song "3 birds" doesn't really do it for me, but the rest is great. Check these out specificially:

And this great cover (don't know the original band though):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M06jXgHioyE&playnext_from=TL&videos=Pfq7jRxxn0I

Does White just do drums? Because that is what I thought' date=' but I have seen some pictures of him with the singer and hes playing guitar [biggrin

It is a good band though, I like em

Fred Approved [biggrin] not that they need it

He does some backup vocals from behind the drumkit, but also in "Will There Be Enough Water" he sings co-lead with Allison and plays guitar. I've heard he plays a fair bit of guitar and sings more on the new album, Sea of Cowards. Looking forward to getting it on vinyl as soon as it drops [biggrin]

So I LOVE the Raconteurs.....not really into the White Stripes and not into The Dead Weather at all....all sound very different...

Consolers of the Lonely was my album of 2008...and i'm a metalhead! Killer album...every song!

Consolers of the Lonely and Salute Your Solution are great tracks, but I haven't listened to the others quite enough to really have an opinion, guess I should listen through the whole album and see what it's like. Their first album was okay, but some songs didn't do it for me (that's why I haven't really delved deeper into their latest)

Thats it Kiwi...i wasn't a huge fan of their first album either but man, Consolers of the Lonely just spoke to me right away! All my friends thought I was weird because of how into that album I got....i'm usually listening to Gwar, High on Fire, Kyuss, Early Man etc.

This peaked my interest. I kind of ignored the release of Under Great White Northern Lights because I already have the Black Pool Lights concert DVD, which is f'ing ace! The on stage chemistry between Jack and Meg is electrifying. Now that I know the DVD is more back stage footage, I'll have to pick it up.

Archived