Gibson Brands Forums

AGF Vs Gibsons

Hoss

As most of us, I've observed the Gibson bashing threads that seem to pop up now and then on the AGF. It's easy to dismiss the negative comments, as anyone who has actually played a Gibson realizes most of those people have not.

So I thought it would be interesting to drop in on an AGF gathering that was happening in the area a few weeks back. I figured it would be a good chance to hear and play some fancy guitars. (or at least remember why I can't stand Taylors. :- ) And I also figured my contribution - a J45-would get some ribbing. But I was curious about these guys with the fancy guitars, so I hitched up my big-boy pants and showed up.

There were a few expensive guitars- for sure. But guess what? Not one Taylor. And almost half the guys brought a Gibson as their preferred guitar. :-k

To top it off, they were all real nice folks!

I went to a local AGF gathering a few months ago here in Minneapolis/St. Paul. It not only was a lot of fun, but I think I had the only Taylor there but I also brought both Gibsons. The LG1 turned out to be a favorite of the group. We are having another gathering but this time at Guitar Rodeo which is a huge internet Taylor dealers shop here in town. Sorry Hoss, but there MAY be a few Taylors there this time, which is also fine for me! :-k

FWIW, Yes, there are the Gibson bashers over there (It always seems to be the same "vocal" members who have little nice to say about any guitar other than their own Luthier built, Tasmanian Blackwood backed, Angle hair Aderondak topped guitar with fanned frets that was harvested by pygmies imported from Austrilia and hand built by God himself..... but there are also fairly vocal contingents of Taylor bashers, Martin bashers and (probably more than the Gibson bashers) Ovation bashers.......

But nobody... and I mean.... NOBODY get's bashed on over there more than the two biggest evils in the world................... (and rightly so in my book!)

Guitar Center

&

ESTABAN!!! :-

Taylor Player

You won't be laughing when Esteban-The Great Masked One-may turn up as the next

owner of Gibson. If this doesn't happen, rumor has it that he has been signed on as a consultant

to the Custom Shop to even out their production problems. It is easy to bash someone but

hard to admit that he can probably outplay the wanabees on any given day.

Moose

Yes there are Gibby bashers on the AGF, but there are also the ones with the expensive hanbuilts that look down on anything factory built. To me it should be all about the music and playing guitars regardless of where the guitars came from.

"Sorry Hoss, but there MAY be a few Taylors there this time, which is also fine for me! Shhh "

I was actually looking forward to playing some Taylors. It's been a long time, and even though I can say that the Taylor sound doesn't do much for me, I certainly respect the brand.

But as I said, they were a congenial bunch. The guys who had expensive guitars were pretty casual about them. Everything got passed around and it was a good time.

...Esteban - The Great Masked One - may turn up as the next owner of Gibson. If this doesn't happen' date=' rumor has it that he has been signed on as a consultant to the Custom Shop to even out their production problems. ...[/quote']

Aaaarrrrrrrgggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [angry]

Nnnnoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [lol]

You're killin' me Moose. :-&

I went to this year's Healdsburg Guitar Festival. Some of the BIGGEST (_!_)'s over there at the AGF own Manzer guitars, Olson guitars, and Kevin Ryan Guitars. Some of them have three or more of the same luthier. So I thought I would go and check out those booths to see what everyone was talking about. These guitars were in the $20,000-30,000 range. (although I was there on Saturday, and the price might have been discounted by end of festival on Sunday...lol) I must say that each of these guitars were FLAWLESSLY built, but the sound on the ones I tried, were mediocre at most. ESPECIALLY the $30K model which shall remain nameless. Name and prestige are one thing.....but really, I have a Martin and a Gibson that sound MUCH better in my opinion. For $30K just think how many mint vintage Gibson's I could get????? I mean the biggest bashers over there have a lot of cash tied up in these babies of theirs, of course they have to put other guitars down, how else can they sleep at night? How would you feel if you paid $30K for a guitar that sounded "just as good as a Martin"??? Or 5% better.....I mean REALLY> Someday, someone will say, "The Emperor has no clothes!!!" and the illusional bubble will burst. I've watched their "buy and sell" section at AGF, and believe me, the luthier built guitars take a long time to sell, and are heavily discounted by the time the listing ends. I would much rather have a Martin or Gibson to sell than any luthier built guitar. I don't know what they are all quacking about.

I went to this year's Healdsburg Guitar Festival. Some of the BIGGEST (_!_)'s over there at the AGF own Manzer guitars' date=' Olson guitars, and Kevin Ryan Guitars. Some of them have three or more of the same luthier. So I thought I would go and check out those booths to see what everyone was talking about. These guitars were in the $20,000-30,000 range. (although I was there on Saturday, and the price might have been discounted by end of festival on Sunday...lol) I must say that each of these guitars were FLAWLESSLY built, but the sound on the ones I tried, were mediocre at most. ESPECIALLY the $30K model which shall remain nameless. Name and prestige are one thing.....but really, I have a Martin and a Gibson that sound MUCH better in my opinion. For $30K just think how many mint vintage Gibson's I could get????? I mean the biggest bashers over there have a lot of cash tied up in these babies of theirs, of course they have to put other guitars down, how else can they sleep at night? How would you feel if you paid $30K for a guitar that sounded "just as good as a Martin"??? Or 5% better.....I mean REALLY> Someday, someone will say, "The Emperor has no clothes!!!" and the illusional bubble will burst. I've watched their "buy and sell" section at AGF, and believe me, the luthier built guitars take a long time to sell, and are heavily discounted by the time the listing ends. I would much rather have a Martin or Gibson to sell than any luthier built guitar. I don't know what they are all quacking about. [/quote']

As my long ago former boss Stan Silver once said Wiley

"Never Pay Retail"

"Never" :-s

Taylor Player

You won't be laughing when Esteban-The Great Masked One-may turn up as the next

owner of Gibson. If this doesn't happen' date=' rumor has it that he has been signed on as a consultant

to the Custom Shop to even out their production problems. It is easy to bash someone but

hard to admit that he can probably outplay the wanabees on any given day.

Moose

[/quote']

Thats it

Moose we at the PPAOAGP must defend his majesticness.

Verily I say that I owe mr prosperity to Esteban's Complete Guitar Course for Beginners) available again on Amazon $26.99)

Paul it is NOT correct to mock The Great Masked One!

He told me (in a dream) that he would never own Gibson he's backing Bill Mendello for that gig.

Archived