Gibson Brands Forums

Help me gig acoustically.

Nick Beach

I've been recording some acoustic tracks, and I've played a couple basements with my acoustic. I think late this summer I'm going to try and do an acoustic tour. I'm not new to touring but I'm new to doing acoustic shows. I've only played acoustic live on tour once and that was just running direct into front of house. But I know a lot of guys bring amps, I would like to get one just to ease my worries of venues not having the right gear. But I don't know where to start with getting one. I've even heard some guys use effects?

So what's a good amp to start with? Any good advice to give?

All help is much appreciated.

Hi Shred,

I have an AER Domino and it is a really excellent acoustic amp. First off if I was buying another I would go for the AER compact 60. While the Domino is great and has a really excellent range of features and effects you don't need most of them and the compact 60 is a bit smaller and easier to travel with.

That said I rarely (if ever these days) use it for gigs. I usually DI my guitar into the PA, so you might want to think about whether you really need an amplifier. Of course as you say it depends very much what gear the venue has. If you need to go down the amplifier route you won't be disappointed with an AER acoustic amplifier.

Another usueful thing is a feedback buster. Depending on what system you use to amplify your acoustic(s). On a couple of guitars I have L R Baggs M1 active pickups. With them feedback is not a problem. With other guitars I have one with a headway transducer which sounds very good but has a tendency to feedback, so I use the backbuster on that one. They don't cost much and it's well worth keeping one in your guitar case.

Hope that helps.

Two of the best acoustic amps I have tried would be either the Genz Benz Shenendoah series or UltraSound amps. Both are superior amps that reprouduce true acoustic tone from your guitar without coloring it at all. Both also have dedicated mic inputs and some seriously good onboard effects.

Fishman SA220 its everything needed and its only 25lbs. w/ 200 watts and Phantom power.

Comes with a carrying case with wheels and can be run to the front of the house OR it is a very good stand alone Amp/PA with 2 channels and a super anti-feedback function lots of great functions for the acoustic solo musician.......jmho

I don't know if this will help at all...

But the bigger - as in outdoor - venues I've been around have tended to use either, for me or others, an EA and running it through the sound board along with the vocal mikes.

In "small outdoor" venues I've seen some of the big powered speaker outfits used as a combination sound board and guitar amplification device with EA guitars.

If you're talking about miking an amp, it's a different game entirely, as far as I'm concerned.

My inexpensive Kustom acoustic is ok for a small saloon for about anything. It also has the anti-feedback dial. It would be no problem to plug the "line out" directly into a board so you'd have a bit of a "monitor" built in if you did something like get a big active speaker and mixer combo. That'd also allow you personally some greater control over the sound.

In the old days I used a Deluxe Reverb with a mike in one side and the guitar (soundhole pickup) through the other so I had separate volume controls in a relatively small acoustic venue. My big old tube amp has the same setup which is largely why I bought it 35 years ago. In effect, it works like a mixer, too, but it doesn't have a line out.

There are effects. Never used any on acoustic, either nylon or steel for my 1970s Ovation EAs.

I just looked up the Fishman and read a coupla reviews. Looks fine for smaller venues for a solo. Ditto the Bose I've seen used around here.

m

Hiya -- just started solo acoustic gigging again after a lo-o-ong hiatus... locals I respect loaned me a Crate CA30DG to try out -- quite pleased with the results -- standalone at a 30-seat venue two weekends ago to favourable reviews. Plus this coming weekend I'm playing a 400-seat hall and had the chance to run a fairly lengthy soundcheck there a few days ago with the Crate run line-out to PA. Seemed to work nicely. There will be some good ears at the gig, and if you like I'll report back afterwards with their feedback.

Hope this helps.

There is no shortage of great acoustic amps to choose from. You just have to try out a few and choose the one you like best. I have a Marshall AS50 which is a great little amp and use it for the odd small gig.

For what I think you are looking at doing, have try on it's big brother AS100.

As Milod points out, the choice can also be influenced by whether you want to mic up or just use it as back line/ monitor.

Got to thinkin' a bit more on this, too...

I think some decisions, too, should be made with options in mind if you're talking about an SUV to haul you, equipment and clothes to solo gigs.

What options do you have if a key piece of equipment drops dead when you're days from home, many hours from a music store that the gig venue has nothing there to reenforce your sound?

That's one reason I've kinda feared the Fishman and Bose "totem pole" rigs. Unless you carry a spare rig...

If I were to head out into that world with just what I have now, it'd be both amps, three mikes, probably cheat and just take one boom mike stand... a guitar and backup guitar, extra guitar cords, etc...

I figure if I weren't in a wreck that'd likely wreck me as much as equipment, that should cover most contingencies.

For another $500 or so, one of those big powered speaker jobbies designed for the job isn't too big to swap for my big tube amp in the Jeep and would make plenty of noise with or without the acoustic amp and effects box.

Starting from scratch may not be, in ways, so much a matter of "what's best," but rather, "what tools are most practical for making a living?"

Yeah, it may take some of the "romance" out of it, but... so does the need to use the pottie between sets.

m

Hay Milod those 'totem poles' are quite tough and you can get parts fed-exd overnight now-a-days IF they let'ya down.

I got the Fishman because it was much less $$ then the Bose and after hearing it I was sold its a great AMP OR PA and its also a monitor when you plug it to the front of the house PA...and its only 25 lbs and the case has wheels!...that a big plus for an old guy

but to me its the modern way to go for the SOLO act in medium to small venues....JMHO your mileage may vary.

I always use the in-house PA when I can, but I also travel with a lesser known, inexpensive, small but GREAT soundsystem.

It's a Laney AH200 Audiohub amp...it's essentially a six-channel powered mixer built into a ported kickback cabinet loaded with a 15" driver and moving coil

horn. Two XLR inputs, one Hi-Z jack input and three line-level inputs, great EQ options, a superb range of onboard digital effects and a SUPERB live sound for, in my case, vocals, acoustic and wooden stomp-box for percussion.

It's a 160w rig which is more than powerful enough for any live show up to 200-250 capacity, after which you can DI it into the house rig if you wish.

The Audiohub was conceived as an all-round amplification solution, but has since been marketed as a keyboard amp-don't let this fool you though, it's a very transparent sounding rig and perfect for what I use it for.

The best bit is that I bought it secondhand from a friend...for £130!! It's already done 300 live shows, and was completely paid for after one, so it's earned it's

keep in a big way...if it ever lets me down, I'll buy another in a heartbeat.

Hey, I'm not knocking the telephone pole. <grin>

But my point was more along the lines of considerations of where one might be playing.

Don't forget that I can travel about 400 miles in any given direction and a town of 100,000 is at the far reaches. Yup, a circle of an 800 mile diameter. There are areas where we're talking over 70 miles between gas stations. Federal Express? With all due respect to their claims, they and UPS both get here when they feel like it. FedX overnight on stuff ordered here on Monday can frequently be a matter of Wednesday or Thursday.

That's kinda why I get cowardly on some stuff.

I'll agree that the Fishman looks about an ideal combination of weight, sound and power. I've heard some "wishes" that it had a subwoofer, etc., but happiness for the phantom power. I've just never seen one. I've seen a couple of Bose rigs that - yeah, I think they cost too much too, but they're also nice for a solo gig if you're not getting to far out and away.

I was thinking of roading based where I live now. To me that means backups.

Yeah, I think at this point I might, just might, swap my big old tube amp for one of these things 'cuz as you mentioned, 80-90 lbs. isn't really fun for an old guy. My concept would be to use the little machine I've put on wheels. I'm even thinking of adding some sort of bracket to hold a netbook for info, song lists, joke lists... <grin> Then in a bigger place add the two. If either goes down... still good.

Also, I'm talkin' about making do with what I've already got.

m

Thanks for all the replies guys. I went to a couple of places today and all they had was straight amps. I played a 30 watt Fender that I really liked and it had a Mic input but I didn't try that out.

I do plan to mic the amp from time to time. I've got a box of everything I take to electric Gigs that I was going to take out with this project. It's got a bunch of cables ranging in length from 10 feet to 40 feet. I keep a shure sm 57 in it, and a small mic stand perfect size for micing cabs in it. But I think I'd run direct as much as possible.

I'm trying to find a local place that stocks the 'telephone poles' to try those out before I get something. I like the idea of being able to plug a mic in and a guitar. But I'm not sure.

Shred...

Not counting the totem poles <grin>, I've discovered there is a lot of personal taste involved in acoustic amps, although they all seem to be set up for a mike and EA guitar.

I like my Kustom with it's 10" speaker at 30 watts. Didn't care as much regardless of price for Fender and a cupla others I messed with a bit.

OTOH, a guy who was a real "regular" here and a reeeeeeally good picker claimed another brand was far superior and I thought it sounded "tinny."

I can see a lot of good reasons to use the "pole" type rig if you're starting from scratch, especially if you're gonna be in more populated areas than where I live. It's a little pricier, but seems to have a lot of advantages that may make it a better buy in the long run.

Bottom line is try some stuff, think about advantages and disadvantages and whether you just plain like or don't like something regardless of price tag or "brand name." Then get practical and dump the ones that don't trip your trigger and figure what you both like and can afford and that will do what you need to do.

m

Well Millod us old guys have got to take care of what we are left with (after the 60's:-# ) ....have you ever thought that the Fishman with its light weight AND reasonable price allows for 2 to be Hauled around.......and as an added bonus you can mount one on the back of a Hoveround and tow the spare!!![crying]#-o[biggrin][crying]

What I really like about the SA200 is it has a great bass response and IMO doesn't need a Sub-Woofer...They can be found on the net for 1/2 what a Bose sells for. I paid $760 NIB for mine from a E-bay store. W/ free shipping.

Hey, I'm not badmouthing the Fishman... and that price tag looks good.

But some of the supposed "acoustic" guitar amps don't trip my trigger at all.

Sounds as if you got a great price on yours, too.

I remember some of the horrid stuff we managed to get by with in "the olden days." Babying a tube PA with really lousy speakers that didn't look as good as what I had in my '30s radio as a kid... etc.

I just think of venues around here for acoustic stuff... some indoors, more in "band shells" and stuff...

Were I in a more "city" situation I think I'd be a lot more serious about the Fishman. As I said, I know of at least one guy around my age who has the Bose and mostly is indoors with it, and it's fine. Not going to blast anybody out with '60s rock sounds but great for a solo. Your Fishman sounds like more for less - and as you said, 25 pounds sounds wonderful.

But I also remember a lotta gear false starts with gear even with what was available in "the olden days." I definitely think there's so much more available today that the first job in shopping for gear is figuring where and what one's going to most likely be playing, then looking at gear that is most likely to fit, then figuring what's in a price range that works and will be reliable, expandable and replaceable in "emergencies."

m

But I also remember a lotta gear false starts with gear even with what was available in "the olden days." I definitely think there's so much more available today that the first job in shopping for gear is figuring where and what one's going to most likely be playing, then looking at gear that is most likely to fit, then figuring what's in a price range that works and will be reliable, expandable and replaceable in "emergencies."

Spot on Milod, it takes thoughtful research to find what works for your situation.

Like you said there is plenty to choose from in todays market ,

Not like years ago when you took what the local shop had on the floor.

Archived