Gibson Brands Forums

I know, I know.....a NEWBY question....about slope vrs. square shoulder Dreads

onewilyfool

Yep, Wiley. Big one. Generally, the bigger the box, the more the sound rumbles around inside instead of pushing it out out. Less note separation. More dominant bass vs treble. This can be offset by woods, bracing etc. For ex, the average Collings D2H is clearer than a Martin D28 , which rumbles like a train (both RW dreads, but Collings accents the treble end), but neither of those cuts through like a D18 (hog dread).

Anyway, your typical hog slope is going to be punchier, have more definition, and clearer trebles but less bass and overall presence than a 'Bird or a D18. Whether you like that or not is a matter of taste.

Usually there are significant other differences... I have 1 of each, both hog but the slope is a 12 fret and the square is 14. They are very very different. The slope has more bass and separation, the aquare seems a little brighter.

I've owned several J45s and two Hummingbirds, and my conclusion (in Hog terms) is thus:

Square-more bottom and top, less mids

Slope-noticeably less top, very slightly less bottom, lots more mids (mid-to-lower-mids to be precise).

It's all down to what floats your boat...I've never felt it profligate to own a J45 AND a Hummingbird, despite them both being Hog Dreads, as they sound, respond and look very different to one another.

I love J45s. Of all the guitars I regret selling, every one is a J45! I've never owned a bad one. Both of mine were stellar, one of which now belongs to my producer Steve and is one of his studio's residential guitars, so it gets played day in day out and cam be heard on many of the records Steve has produced. I sold it to him 18 months go or so, and it has opened up amazingly-it sounds spine chillingly good now.

Another was a jaw-dropping 1997 'Early' J45 which went to a Forum member, Sitric. I could play absolutely anything on that guitar-it was the greatest all-rounder I could name. It sounded unbelievable.

Still, leading the peripatetic life of a travelling musician is not without it's financial troubles at times, and both J45s went on the block when times were tight...I wish I still owned them. I still hear that '97 in my sleep, on certain quiet Summer nights...

Profligate? strident? C'mon, guys, those can't be more than .25 centers. Oh, and back to the topic: Jinder, I feels your pain re the Early J45. Was on my short list, but now thinking its got to be adi. Anyway, agree re the base response on squares, which makes 'em a good strummer but so so picker. Cheers.

Hate to generalize as builders differ substantialy in their approach to slopes. I acquired a SCGC adi/hog slope that recently went up against a '56 D-18 and gave up nothing in volume and has a richer broader tone spectrum than the D-18. The mids and trebles were sweeter and the bass deeper. Both great geets but contradicts generally accepted perceptions. Play many and from different builders till you find what your lookin for.

"builders differ substantialy in their approach to slopes" sure.

"SCGC adi/hog slope vd '56 D-18 The mids and trebles were sweeter and the bass deeper." Not a contradiction really, mids are about what you expect and the bass on the longer scale D18 will have more bark/twang to it, so the SCGC will feel deeper.

profligate?

Ain't that a hooker who stands outside the baseball stadium?

LOL

The word's origins are attributed to Professor Lawrence Ignacious Gate. Reknown for his violent and excessive drinking and womanising in the late 1800s. So much so "doing a Prof L I Gate" became part of slang in the East End of London to describe an act outside the realms of accepted normality.

It's true. I got this from Wikipedia I think.

Or was it Shakespeare?

Sorry!

LOL

The word's origins are attributed to Professor Lawrence Ignacious Gate. Reknown for his violent and excessive drinking and womanising in the late 1800s. So much so "doing a Prof L I Gate" became part of slang in the East End of London to describe an act outside the realms of accepted normality.

It's true. I got this from Wikipedia I think.

Or was it Shakespeare?

Sorry!

Either that, or simply attribute it to Mark Twain.

VERY funny, BTW!

Archived