Gibson Brands Forums

OOPS......I did a Keef!

Johnt

You guessed it, restringing the J45, too enthusiastic with the string winder, slipped and the B string goes straight into my finger!

Why does this happen nearly every time I re-string?

I mean I only string em every so often but usually "get in the mood" and re-string all six.

Today I only managed one!

Is it impending finger failure or increasing stupidity?

Oh as yes, when I had the strings off the J45 I forgot to change the battery whilst I was there.

Any one else as stupid??

a96856_a528_4-keith-richard.jpg

Yes.

I'm quite cautious when restringing one already in my inventory but the problem usually comes when restringing a new acquisition or someone's repair. People often tie the string at the post or wind it in such a way that I have to unthread an unwound string from the post. Of course I'm too freakin' lazy to reach into my pocket for my Leatherman Squirt (the third one, thanks to their generous warranty) and I think I can pluck the string away from the post with my fingers. I'm usually wrong.

I then poke a fingertip and utter, "Fudge! I must be more careful."

I've got five acoustics, so I try to keep the restrings on a schedule (flexible schedule [love]). When doing the chore, I try to be very careful, but on a rare occasion, as I put the end of a string through a peg hole, the string end digs into the headstock finish, leaving a small, shallow, surface scratch in the nitro or poly. Damn it. I hate that. I'd rather take a sharp poke in the finger than have that happen.

Yes.

I'm quite cautious when restringing one already in my inventory but the problem usually comes when restringing a new acquisition or someone's repair. People often tie the string at the post or wind it in such a way that I have to unthread an unwound string from the post. Of course I'm too freakin' lazy to reach into my pocket for my Leatherman Squirt (the third one' date=' thanks to their generous warranty) and I think I can pluck the string away from the post with my fingers. I'm usually wrong.

I then poke a fingertip and utter, "Fudge! I must be more careful." [/quote']

I would never admit to reaching into my pocket to grab my "squirt".

Johnt, what's worse is sticking your finger then finding you started winding the string too short.

When I had the strings off the J45 I forgot to change the battery whilst I was there.

You can still change it without removing the strings. Just loosed the bottom 2 or 3 strings (depending on how big your hand is) and you'll be able to reach the battery ok.

Archived