Gibson Brands Forums

Critter Attack, advice please

Hall

It ate Deacon (no spell check) pellets and washed them down with anti-freese 3 days ago. Did not phase it. But' date=' I thank you.[/quote']

That would be D-Con. Actually, YOU have to eat a fair bunch of it. It contains Warfarin, used for those of us with thick blood, It takes a bit of time to work. Maybe load up a shifter of 100/0 unmix of Prestone to chase it down with. I prefer Prestone as it has a beautiful bouquet, bold flavor and a nutty after taste. Cheers!

D-Con takes time to be effective. Unlike strychnine or arsenic, the target critter won't just drop over after a few bites. Trouble is you don't know when or more importantly WHERE it will succumb. And a beast the size of a momma 'coon will bloat up rather odoriferous-ly. Also, make sure there is a good supply of water near by. D-Con creates a lot of 'thirst' and the consumed water helps with the efficacy of the active ingredient. (read the label)

All kidding aside, don't use the antifreeze. If a dog or cat gets at it, only a few tablespoons will put them out of their misery.

I'm all for some deadly poison.

Perhaps Thunder God can go out in the forest where he lives and find you a poison dart frog and either send you the frog or he can extract the poison and send it to you. Then you wait for the critter to come out to eat and pow - hit her with the poison dart.

I was researching a similar problem twenty years ago - before the internet for you kiddies.

Talked to my vet about it, he gave me the best guidance.

Sounded an awful lot like Tommy....

:)

First thing he told me?

"All the GOOD stuff is off the market, so let's see here....."

Digging through his books, he wrote down two ingredients to look for.

Sent me to the Feed & Tack store down the road for rat poison.

Said find whatever you can with one of these ingredients - with four considerations.

Actual strength/content, in percentage.

Composition of the "vehicle" to deliver it - pellets, wax/wafer bar, etc.

What to mix it with to get 'em to actually consume it - pregnant moms may not eat at all.

Controlling access to it for any pets or unintended victims.

As a parting word of wisdom, he mentioned ensuring that they don't die where you can't get to 'em....

When they start feeling really bad, they will do their best to hide from predators.

I had a family of possums living in my attic when I lived in Australia. I like possums. I just left them to it. They were beautiful creatures. I like racoon's too. I was wondering if there is like an animal protection society you can call that will come and catch that coon for you and take it to a new home somewhere. I know there was something like that in Austrailia' date=' there must be something similar over there? [/quote']

Yes, I agree. Live and let live and try to understand that the animals are just being animals. Baby racoons are so sweet. My grandpa used to have raccoons as pets. They are very mischievious and very very smart. But they have wonderful little personalities. I would appeal to the various organizations around you to see if they can help get the little furry family out HUMANELY.

The best way to get rid of raccoons is with ammonia. They associate it with predators' urine and they will not stay in there. Splash some ammonia around in there - or shoot it up there with a sprayer or a squirt gun or something. Or put that gallon up there and uncap it. Good idea.

Or man up and go up there and shoo it out of there and fix the soffit. [biggrin]

Archived