Gibson Brands Forums

Vox Valvetronix

Jantha

I'm seriously considering picking one of these things up. I've seen a few opinions from searching, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations either way on these things? I'm going to go play one tonight to get a feel for them.

I'm trying to find something that gets me closest to a nice tube sound, but no more than $200. I also NEED a headphone jack too since my situation doesn't lend well to playing out loud 95% of the time. The headphone requirement pretty much voids the others I was looking at (Vibro Champ XD, VOX AC4TV.. etc). I know I can always get an Amplug too.. but I'm trying to get something a little nicer sounding.

I also thought about a Tonelab ST. I can play with my headphones on, and possibly record... then use it with my existing amp when I can.

Just curious what you guys thought..

I'm seriously considering picking one of these things up. I've seen a few opinions from searching' date=' but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations either way on these things? I'm going to go play one tonight to get a feel for them.

I'm trying to find something that gets me closest to a nice tube sound, but no more than $200. I also NEED a headphone jack too since my situation doesn't lend well to playing out loud 95% of the time. The headphone requirement pretty much voids the others I was looking at (Vibro Champ XD, VOX AC4TV.. etc). I know I can always get an Amplug too.. but I'm trying to get something a little nicer sounding.

I also thought about a Tonelab ST. I can play with my headphones on, and possibly record... then use it with my existing amp when I can.

Just curious what you guys thought..[/quote']

I think their 'tube sound' is pretty good.

Why not a pod XT Live' date=' you can get one for right at 200.00 and if you have heard any of my material you have heard the XT Live (except for the last two demo's which was the X3 same tones more options).[/quote']

I'll see if I can play around with one. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have the VT50 and its a pretty cool little amp. It models the Fender cleans pretty well. Of course you can get the classic Vox tones and a number of settings get fairly close to the Marshall crunch.

Best feature for me though is the wattage knob on the back that allows you to take it down to a 5 watt amp and not lose your overdrive and sustain. Its a great feature for small rooms or when the kids are asleep.

It also has a pretty good array of effects built in so I don't have to drag out all my pedals every time I want to practice.

Hope that helps.

Thanks guys, that helps quite a bit.

This sounds dumb, but do they turn on every time? LOL

Right now I have a Vypyr (ugh I know) that I want to replace. It's made me a bit skeptical regarding modeling amps. Half the time I use it, it doesn't power up properly. I'll have to power it on and off a few times. Also, some times it will just "lock up". That's what I get for buying an amp with a computer in it I guess :)

I remember when you got that thing' date=' isn't this a warranty repair? Its sad when these companies send out their products to China, Vietnam, or other cheaper cost effective places they throw quality right out the window. The only amp lines still made in the US by Peavey is the JSX, 6505 and their cabs; the rest love eating chinese food.[/quote']

Yea.. Unfortunately the warranty is passed. There may be a firmware upgrade for it tho.. I haven't looked in several months. Seems kinda weird to flash an amp hehe.

I own both the 30 and the 50 watt valvetronix amps from the previous series (black knobs, they now have creme knobs) and love them. I use them for class and the students love them too, the OD and Dist tones are nice, not what a real tube tone monster will give you but they are nice indeed, and very usable, I recorded a couple of songs with the 50W and they sound "real" (that's what that band said[biggrin]).

The POD guitarest recomended is a good option too, as is the tonelab, but owning a pedalboard and not an amp is a problem if you have to play out, jam with a band or just want to get loud.

By the way, valvetronix amps come with a built in atenuator that lets you take it from 1W to the whole thing (at least my 50W one comes with it, haven't checked the 30W but some members of the forum own it too and will probably make that call)

I really like my VT30. The only knock on it would be' date=' that I can't seem to find a great clean mode.

I am open to suggestions if anyone has some.[/quote']

Lower your guitar's volume in a OD setting... see what that does to the sound.

[crying]

Sounds "real" hehe [cool]

By the way' date=' valvetronix amps come with a built in atenuator that lets you take it from 1W to the whole thing (at least my 50W one comes with it, haven't checked the 30W but some members of the forum own it too and will probably make that call)[/quote']

I did see that on their site... That's definitely a plus for me. It does look like it's available on the 30W [crying]

By the way' date=' valvetronix amps come with a built in atenuator that lets you take it from 1W to the whole thing (at least my 50W one comes with it, haven't checked the 30W but some members of the forum own it too and will probably make that call)[/quote']

I have the VT30, you are correct, it has the attenuator too. It's my understanding that the 15w has it also.

Archived