Gibson Brands Forums

New Pickups for LP Studio

jrsdws

We're considering new pickups for my son's LP Studio Silverburst...or at least one new pickup. We really like the stock 490R in the neck...but don't really care for the 498T in the bridge. Contrary to it's product description, we find the 498T very dark and not pleasing. The 490R seems to have a lot better mids and highs...and tons more bite and crunch when turned up.

Ok so we're all new to the electronics part of electric guitars...sooo I'm hoping to make some sense here.

The 498T is supposedly wound 12.3 to 14.4k. The 490R is 7.2 to 7.8k.

So what might be a better compliment to the 490R in the neck?

I'm thinking maybe a Burstbucker 3 or perhaps a Fralin Unbucker wound to about 9.0 to 9.5k.

I'm thinking maybe a Burstbucker 3 or perhaps a Fralin Unbucker wound to about 9.0 to 9.5k.

Yeah, jeez, there's so many choices and it's all subjective.

Axe tells ya to lower it first, that's a good cheap easy experiment.

Nothing wrong with the Burstbucker 3 or anything by Fralin.

My standard reply is a 57 Classic, I'm really biased toward them myself.

Maybe find a 490T to match the 490R you have in the neck?

Pole spacing is the only difference as far as I know.

Might be able to score a used one cheap on Ebay.

Looks like you're on the right track comparing the outputs.

CORRECTION: It's the neck pickup (rhythm) 490R that is dark and deep...far far different from the bridge (treble). Sorry!!!

So perhaps we after trying height adjustments, we should consider the "hotter" pickup for the neck position?

It's the neck pickup (rhythm) 490R that is dark and deep...

Hmmmmm....

Now you go and change the game.

[blink]

How familiar are you with Les Pauls?

The reason I ask - most of them are just too dark on the neck pickup anyway - for my tastes.

I rarely use them, and don't even like the way they sound on many solos.

Honestly, I got nothin' for advice up there by the neck.

Some of these blazing lead players might offer more.

Not very familiar with them...or any other really as it is my 15yr old son that is the player...so we're learning together.

I raised the neck pickup and it increased volume and brightened it up a little.....very little. I may try lowering the bridge pickup just to experiment and see how it works. They can always be put back I reckon.

He rarely uses the neck pickup either. Only when he's playing some chords and wants to thicken and darken them up some. So perhaps this isn't really uncommon...

At least it's a good learning experience...knowing which ones are which and sound best to us.

I don't know what year they changed but you most likely have a 300K volume pot. A diagram I have is from 1995.If you change it to a 500 that will open it/brighten up some. I have a '06 Studio and think about trying it myself sometime.

Another thing is if you use the vol pot, turning it down will darken the pups too. Try to use the amp volume or do the 50's wiring mod ! Check it out, it's cheaper than pickups

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2009/Jul/Gibson_50s_wiring_on_a_Stratocaster.aspx

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1981554

wiring50sInd.jpg

Yeah I wondered about the pots as I've read somewhere they can have an effect also. It is a 2009 Studio.

I raised that neck pickup considerably and it helps some. There is probably room to go more before it starts causing problems so we'll keep playing with it.

The wiring mod is interesting...probably worth a try also...thank you.

All pickups at the neck will be smoother and I guess as you say "darker". It's because of how the string vibrates at a greater distance (higher amplitude, I guess?) the closer to the middle of the string, and from where you are picking the string. But I have liked my 57 classic in the neck position. If you want it to be a bit hotter, try raising it.

-Sam

I'm going to put a set of Lindy Fralin PAF's in her...9k in the bridge...8k in the neck....new 500k Bourns pots...and a new Switchcraft switch (original is a little scratchy when switching). The gentleman who just made my son's amp is going to do the complete replacement with NOS Gibson cloth covered wire with braided shielding at his cost for parts (a little cheaper than shopping the net) but just $40 labor.

The stock pickups just don't do the new amp justice. The amp he made my son is a custom handwired JTM45 clone with a footswitchble drive and overdrive. The "drive" pushes it into a JCM800 clone...and the "more drive" replicates a hot rodded JCM800.

The current "hot" bridge pickup makes for beautiful grind in the "clean" JTM45...but there really isn't much "clean" to it.

We're figuring the PAF's and new pots will allow for nice vintage cleans...and give a nice responsive crunch when you get on it.

Ohhh the quest for "perfection"....

Mmmmmmmm....PAF's!!!!! All I can say is WOW to the Fralin PAF's. Got the LP back today and it's amazing with the new pups. I'm sure there are tons of great pickups on the market today....I would give these Fralin PAF's an A++ and recommend to anybody to try them.

Not very familiar with them...or any other really as it is my 15yr old son that is the player...so we're learning together.

I raised the neck pickup and it increased volume and brightened it up a little.....very little. I may try lowering the bridge pickup just to experiment and see how it works. They can always be put back I reckon.

He rarely uses the neck pickup either. Only when he's playing some chords and wants to thicken and darken them up some. So perhaps this isn't really uncommon...

At least it's a good learning experience...knowing which ones are which and sound best to us.

Yeah, the neck PUs are supposed to be bassy and a little less crisp. Most people only use them for like milky leads or punchy Jazz chords. Most rock players don't really use the neck PU, unless it's for like I said Solos or leads. I would leave em intact, maybe try messing with the middle position with the PU selector and rolling back the neck so the bridge outshines it, but to still get a little bit of that bottom end.

Just about any PU you get is gonna sound like that because of the position of it in relation to the bridge, that's just how the strings resonate there. Unless you buy some kind of special PU and rewire it and get some different pots. I"d suggest you just leave it alone. Gibsons are made so nice that when you buy one and leave it stock it still outperforms other guitars that have been hot rodded.

Although these are lower output pups...they seem louder than the stock pickups. Either a testament to Fralin's quality....or Gibson's lack there of in the stock pups.....Or maybe Lindy truly has a way of getting more out of less? Either way...[cool]

Although these are lower output pups...they seem louder than the stock pickups. Either a testament to Fralin's quality....or Gibson's lack there of in the stock pups.....Or maybe Lindy truly has a way of getting more out of less? Either way...[cool]

Well, if they're not distorting on the clean like the Gibs were then they're probably quieter. Or maybe they're wound less?

Well' date=' if they're not distorting on the clean like the Gibs were then they're probably quieter. Or maybe they're wound less?[/quote']

Gibs: Bridge 14.4k Neck 7.9k

Fralin: Bridge 8.65K Neck 7.73k

These are the readings I get with a multimeter. I'm pretty much electronics stupid so it's always great to hear you more experienced guys' responses. I'm most curious as to why the stock pickups are so far different...from 14.4k to 7.9k....and I'm suspect that this is why the were unappealling together.

The Gibson bridge pickup was "hot"...distorted very quickly and was very loud...it actually sounded great as it really growled nicely...just was very tough to play decent cleans at any volume with it. It just was too much too soon.

The Gibson neck pickup was just dark and muddy...it sounded better after I raised it but still not pleasing in any way shape or form.

The Fralin bridge pickup just starts to show it's teeth a little with volume pot around 7...still not full on distorted when dimed...but teeth fully beared and getting mad....comparable highs and mids to the Gibson....

The Fralin neck pickup is much cleaner...clearer...and way louder than the Gibson neck pup....it sounds great on it's own and adds nice warm, rich mids and lows when played along with the bridge.

Chords with both pickups are awesome....bridge alone is crisp and edgy and bright....neck alone warm and clear.

Those are my best descriptions...phew. That makes it about as clear as mud!!!

Archived