Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting Conversation with Gibson at Guitar Show

bkharmony

I went to the Dallas Guitar Show today and spent some time in the Gibson trailer, of course. I was checking out their J-200, when a fella (Don Ruffalo) came by and said hi. I asked him some questions about the guitar and he asked me if I played Gibsons. I told I had three, etc., etc., and then I asked him if they were ever going to do a run of CF-100s. He told me I could always order one from the Custom Shop.

And that's where it got interesting. I told him I'd been interested in a custom-built guitar, but I'd decided to go with a Build-to-Order Taylor instead, partially because it was so difficult to get any information on Gibson's policies and capabilities. He told me I just had to talk to a dealer (which is the same thing folks here said), and he asked where I shopped. I told him the only Gibson dealer in DFW is Guitar Center, and I wasn't comfortable doing such a thing with them.

That's when he told me that Murphy's Music in Irving was back as an official Gibson Dealer. I think that's great news for Dallas-Fort Worth. He also said basically,"if you have any questions, call me directly. We would love to build you a guitar." I thought that was great; not necessarily because I'll need to call him, but just that he had a desire to make things work.

For me, it's often been hard to get the straight dope from Gibson. They are not a very customer-centric company. But it seems they still have folks who want to step up and get it right.

I'm no fan of their business practices' date=' but darn Gibson builds the coolest guitars

There's a local place, Sevier Music Outlet, that has amazing custom stuff --- Flamed Koa / Adi SJ-200, Adi topped Dove, Birdseye Maple AJ, etc

[/quote']

Dove Histronic......how much is that SJ-200 you mentioned over there? Thanks

I told him the only Gibson dealer in DFW is Guitar Center' date=' and I wasn't comfortable doing such a thing with them.

That's when he told me that Murphy's Music in Irving was back as an official Gibson Dealer. I think that's great news for Dallas-Fort Worth.[/quote']

Good news indeed. I hope this is a trend that continues.

All the best,

Guth

"I'd decided to go with a Build-to-Order Taylor instead, partially because it was so difficult to get any information on Gibson's policies and capabilities. He told me I just had to talk to a dealer (which is the same thing folks here said).."

I understand the reluctance to call a dealer you don't know to order a guitar from a company that you don't trust. (completely) That was the vibe I got from your post about "HOW do I order a Gibson guitar?"...(which is a 'duh' to those of us who have been to Montana, seen the plant and met the people who build these guitars. It's not a mysterious process (ordering a custom),. but it does require faith that you'll get the guitar you really want.

Gibson has a lot of people who want to step up and get it right. (I had never intended to order a custom until I met the Gibson crew and saw what they were doing!! )

It's not a mysterious process (ordering a custom)' date='. but it does require faith that you'll get the guitar you really want.[/quote']

And that was kind of my point. There is a lot of faith necessary, and to be frank - it's a lot of money to spend, not knowing what you're going to get. Taylor does a great job of taking that "leap of faith" feeling out of the process. Gibson, IMHO, needs to work on that if they want to be in the custom guitar business (if they don't, well that's another thing entirely).

I don't mean to harp on this point, it's just that this is what I do for a living. My job is to always be thinking of ways to make customers click that "purchase" button. And applying that thinking to the Gibson way, well, as we say at my office, there's an "area of opportunity."

Dove Histronic......how much is that SJ-200 you mentioned over there? Thanks

Are you gonna make me drive 30 miles just to check for you ?

OK, I'll try and get up there again this week, oh the sacrifices I make --- wonder if I can sneak cell phone pics

I have no affiliation etc., but know they ship a lot of Martins, Taylors and Gibbys out of state to avoid Tenn sales tax

Lots of tourist traffic since they are at the foot of the Smokey Mountains...

Archived