Gibson Brands Forums

The Edge's Rig and Sound Sculpting

Californiaman

I was talking with Terry Lawless, U2's unofficial fourth member about the Edge's rig. He told me that Edge likes to use the exact guitars and amplifiers he used during the recording process when he tours. You can hardly imagine the amount of guitars he must take on tour with him.

Terry also told me that on the Line album, Edge used two 1959 Les Pauls and an old Fender Harvard amplifier to record with.

Then he told me that the Edge uses mostly Vox AC30s with treble boost, a Marshall and has started taking an couple old Fender Harvards out on tour. I know he also uses 57 Fender Deluxes as well.

I'm intrigued to say the least.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un2KA_zAaIY[/YOUTUBE]

I remember seeing something in a guitar magazine a few years ago that his amplification was under the stage.

Mostly tiny amps, one of them was a Fender Blues Jr.

They were mic'd and fed to the board, into the beginning of an unbelievably complex electronics chain.

It's a long way from my ideal world of a couple splitters ---> 4 or 5 different tube amps.

So you were just hanging out with Terry Lawless?

I'm trying to think of something clever to say, but... man. You're either a "real" musician, or live near much better bars.

Good for you. [biggrin]

So you were just hanging out with Terry Lawless?

I'm trying to think of something clever to say' date=' but... man. You're either a "real" musician, or live near much better bars.

Good for you. [cool

Terry's son plays on my baseball team.

Love talking sports and music with him.

He keeps a great scorebook too.

I was talking with Terry Lawless' date=' U2's unofficial fourth member about the Edge's rig. He told me...[/quote']

Now that is a coincidence!!!

Just the other day I was talking to Anna, my unofficial cleaning lady. She told me she prefers to use a Swiffer.

I guess you and I both lead pretty exciting lives...

[cool]

Now that is a coincidence!!!

Just the other day I was talking to Anna' date=' my unofficial cleaning lady. She told me she prefers to use a Swiffer.

I guess you and I both lead pretty exciting lives...

[biggrin

[lol] yeah, that's more my luck, too. :)

Hey, Cali, anything more you can learn that isn't all over the interweb would be cool... for instance, ask Terry what happened with the goof and re-start of "One" early on the "No Line" tour. I enjoyed seeing a big act make a human goof... but I've been curious to know how it happened. - and also maybe why Edge isn't playing his white Les Paul studio, or the cream custom this tour.

:-& yeah' date=' that's more my luck, too. :P

Hey, Cali, anything more you can learn that isn't all over the interweb would be cool... for instance, ask Terry what happened with the goof and re-start of "One" early on the "No Line" tour. I enjoyed seeing a big act make a human goof... but I've been curious to know how it happened. - and also maybe why Edge isn't playing his white Les Paul studio, or the cream custom this tour. [/quote']

Now I want to know what happened too.

I'll ask him about it tomorrow.

I wish I would have seen this earlier, cause I would have asked him tonight at our game.

We won. 8-7.

But I'll for sure call him tomorrow and ask.

He's at band practice with Unfinished Business a local band he plays with.

The problem I have with The Edge, is that he uses SO MUCH technology, it is hard to find out how good a guitarist he actually is.

Before you Edge fans jump down my throat, I am not saying he is not a good guitarist. I just cant tell.

In "It Might Get Loud", he demonstrates this by playing a piece and then stripping the effects off it - at which point you realise a 10 yr old could play it.

The problem I have with The Edge' date=' is that he uses SO MUCH technology, it is hard to find out how good a guitarist he actually is.

Before you Edge fans jump down my throat, I am not saying he is not a good guitarist. I just cant tell.

In "It Might Get Loud", he demonstrates this by playing a piece and then stripping the effects off it - at which point you realise a 10 yr old could play it.[/quote']

No, you have a valid point. But I actually like this about his style because it is creative - but a different kind of creativity. I like believing that we don't all have to be talented in the same ways in order to make good music.

But let me link here to a song which has some of my all-time favorite Les Paul tone. (I put this up a week ago in another thread.) What he plays is simple, but it is the playing that makes it good, not just the effect:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

or the cream custom this tour.

Didn't he donated that guitar to be auctioned to help the New Orleans musicians affected by Katrina?

He said he would donate a guitar that meant something to him and not just a guitar.

Cali that was a cool link with those movies and I actually watched the entire series of youtube flicks they did with Edge. There are like 6 total in the series' date=' any who a few of those actually talk about effects and guitars he uses on songs. A few times his roady runs out there and corrects (or attempts to correct) Edge. They get to a point on a Line6 Acoustic guitar where they are both lost as to what settings or tuning. After what appears to be 60 seconds of fumbling it appears that Edge was right and his roady incorrect. Either way I love Edges style and how he has used effects over his use of the guitar. I would hate to be his roady, way too much to remember and all those racks to haul around; wow. [/quote']

I haven't watched all of them yet, but I intend to Jocko.

I'm just grateful for my new friend. Terry's a solid guy and the fact that he's the guy who helps fill out the bands sound with his keyboard playing and saxophone ability is cudos to his musicianship.

Archived