Gibson Brands Forums

Merle Haggard

grampa

Merle is a staple when camping.always has been! In fact the 30 plus children

take Merle with them camping and their children listen also.

Especially, "Mama Tried" their favorite camping lyric

I turned 21 in prison tried to "WIPE without a roll"[biggrin]

Long Live MERLE

There are two kinds of country music: the great stuff done before 1965 and the mostly crap done after 1965. Old-timers like Merle, Hank, George Jones, Buck Owens, and the great '40's guys before them (not to mention the great western swing guys) made some truly memorable art. Most of the garbage since then is nothing more than tripe trying to make $$.

Don't think anyone's dissin anyone here. I'm sure Merle's awesome' date=' just never heard his music before.[/quote']

What?! I don't know about your alternate universe but I wouldn't want to be in one in which Merle hasn't been heard.

What?! I don't know about your alternate universe but I wouldn't want to be in one in which Merle hasn't been heard.

I'm in a tiny town in southern Sweden and even I've heard of him because they play him on the local 50s - 70s radio station, which happens to be the only station I can stand having on all day while I work. I can't say he's doing my kind of music, but - and this is the great thing about that radio station - even though I don't really like it it doesn't make me want to go change the station either. It's not my thing, but it is still good music, if that makes any sense.

Archived