Gibson Brands Forums

I love my J-45 TV so much I want another one. Is that wrong?

Oedipus

I've owned my J-45 TV for just about three months now. She's temperamental, but she's the only guitar that's ever, EVER sounded like a "guitar" to me. Sweet, woody, just like home.

J-45 TVs are either hard to find in my neck of the woods (Toronto), or prohibitively expensive.

So what do you think...? Think I should play with some fire and order me a couple more TVs from the states or elsewhere just so I can compare them?

On the one hand, I feel like it's sacrilege turning my back on the baby I love. On the other hand, this is the only True Vintage I've ever played and I figure if it can get even slightly better than this I'd be in heaven.

I'm happy to push you over the precipice -- "Of COURSE you should get another one! You OWE it to yourself! You DESERVE it! Think of your Tax Refund: you'll need to spend it on SOMEthing!"

One of the nicest guitars that was on hand at the Dallas Guitar festival last weekend in the Gibson Acoustics trailer was in fact a brand spankin' new J-45TV -- lots of folks commented on hos nice it was.

Fred

This post made me laugh so much.....I have to repost this list:

How do you know you have GAS?

If you enthusiastically talk to non-playing friends about guitars all the time (regardless of their yawns and eye-rolls) You probably have GAS.

If you get excited when you see a guitar positioned in the corner of a movie scene . You probably have GAS.

If you sit close to the TV when a band is playing trying to work out what make and model they are playing, you probably have GAS.

If you have more guitars than your can physically play......you've got GAS

If you have some guitars that you haven't played in over six months....You've got GAS

IF you don't know the exact number of guitars you have, You've got GAS

If you get excited about when someone else buys a guitar in the forum...you've probably got GAS.

IF you spend more time scouring forums, Ebay, Craig's List, than you do PLAYING your guitars.....You've probably got GAS.

If you are sneaking Guitars into the house so that your wife doesn't see them, .....You've probably got GAS.

If you are thinking like this, " You know, I don't have a guitar with (fill in the blank) (Koa, Walnut, Blackwood)......tonewoods on the back and sides yet.....You've got GAS

If you already have a hand built custom designed guitar by a world reknowned Luthier, AND you are still looking for another custom designed guitar, You've got GAS

If you have some guitars under the bed, in the closet, in the attic AND your music room is full already AND you are still looking for another guitar.....You've got GAS

If you explain away all your guitars by saying."I am holding on to these as investments", You've got GAS

If the spouse is saying, "honey, please come to bed" and you'd rather sit up and pore over eBay lisitngs.....You probably have GAS.

If you find yourself short of breath every time you see a UPS truck.....You probably have GAS.

If you've ever caught yourself thinking, "boy, if I wasn't married..."...You probably have GAS.

If you have more than one guitar shop on speed-dial...

If you're offered an early retirement buyout and don't take it because you haven't got all the guitars you want yet...You probably have GAS.

if you haven't got time to play guitar because you're working a second job to pay for guitars...You probably have GAS.

if you read any of these and thought, "THAT'S just normal"....You probably have GAS.

If you are looking at a wooden table top and you are thinking, "Man, that would make a great back and sides to a guitar"......You probably have GAS.

If you have to build an extra wing on your house to accomodate guitar cases.....you probably have Gas

If you can't have house guests, because your guest room is filled with guitars......most likely you have GAS.

If you own TWO identical guitars, so that you can use a different sets of strings on the same guitars to hear the difference.....you definitely have GAS.

If you only buy guitars that all look alike (for example, only ever buying black guitars), so that your wife won't be able to distinguish one from another, missing any new additions......you probably have GAS

If the company makes two guitars exactly the same, except with different tone woods on the back and sides, and you want to buy both of them so you can hear the difference between the tone woods, you most likely have GAS.

If you have a guitar that is more expensive than your car, you've got GAS!

If you had to raise the coverage of your renter's insurance 3 times in the past year because of guitars, you've got GAS!

OWF:

Guilty as charged. Funny as hell, though. Most of the above apply. Some I didn't even realize. Like the number of guitar shops I have on speed dial!

When I read the title to Oedipus' post, I first thought:

1) "Man, that's sad."

then:

2) I've done worse than that, buying several of the same make, model, you know, for "comparison purposes". I'll sell the runner-ups. That was months ago. Probably will turn into years.

3) I relate to his situation. This could get expensive.

Maybe you should spread out your TVness and order or find a J-185TV, J-200TV or a Southern Jumbo TV. Then you could have the best of both worlds. Two J-45TVs would be awesome but a little redundant. I would find a J-185TV if it were me.

You can't have just one! At one point I had an AJ, an SJ and a J-45 at the same time - all more-or-less the same guitar and I didn't think it was too excessive. I've reduced my stockpile somewhat over the past few months though to fund two Legends... That still leaves me with three Gibson acoustics and an ES-339. I think my GAS is satisfied (for now).

Pic

I'm not in favor. You get two identical guitars, well as close to identical as things made of natural wood can be, and they compete with each other. They do not compliment each other, offer no real contrasts, and after a while you pick a winner and sell the loser.

Get something else.

By the way I love my J-185 TV, and I am getting a J-45 like mate for it from Redline.

That way I have on maple body, one mahogany. Different tones, different uses, no real direct comparison.

Hanging out on guitar forums such as this one makes it hard to ignore such urges (I believe most GAS can be directly attributed to hanging out with other gearheads online).

That said, if you really enjoy your J-45 TV and and don't already have a way to record yourself, why not look into investing in some recording gear instead? I've been having a good time with my Sony digital flash-based recorder, using it to record my J-45 TV (check it out here).

Trying to find the guitar that sounds even just "slightly better" than the one you already have is heading down a slippery slope. Most of the time we would be better served by spending our time improving our skills rather than spending our money on another guitar. Now if you're truly unhappy with your guitar, or you're looking for a guitar with a different tone to compliment what you already have, then that's a different story. But you sound like you're pretty happy with your J-45.

Good luck with your decision,

Guth

MMmmmmmmm. J-185 TV...now that's an idea!

I don't think I'm a GAS-head. As of now I own two acoustics (one's an old beater Yamaha), two electrics and an old Pro Reverb.

I just loooove nice sounding guitars!!!

@ Nevada: how you liking those Legends? Man I wish I could buy one. Or an old banner '45....I think that's my dream guitar.

I also think you should go for something else to complement the J45. You could end up ordering 10 more J-45 TVs and not be able to decide which one sounds best, and keep 5 of them because "they each have their own slightly unique tone".

I think if you're happy with what you've got, stick with it - the grass isn't always greener!

Of course!

I have a J-45 Historic Collection, J-45 Legend, J-45 Vine, a 1946 J-45, a J-45 Braz/Adi Custom and a Guthrie Southern Jumbo. While all of the above share a certain beloved shape and appearance they each have their own unique voice and feel. Each one would be great as my only guitar, but I'm so glad I don't have to make that choice.

I love J-45 style Guitars so much that I'm thinking of adding a Hiatt J-45 to the collection as well.

I have wondered the same thing. I have a J-45 that has replaced the playing time of al my other guitars, due to the fact that the J-45 is simply better in my opinion. While I have several other nice guitars, I simply choose to always play the J-45, I love the sound and the feel. I would consider an additional J-45 for a back up, but know I don't really need it. Is this what happens when you become a one guitar kinda guy?

Of course!

I have a J-45 Historic Collection' date=' J-45 Legend, J-45 Vine, a 1946 J-45, a J-45 Braz/Adi Custom and a Guthrie Southern Jumbo. While all of the above share a certain beloved shape and appearance they each have their own unique voice and feel. Each one would be great as my only guitar, but I'm so glad I don't have to make that choice. [/quote']

A man after my own heart.

I've got some catching up to do, though.

J45 TV w/Red Spruce, FVG J35 w/Red Spruce, J45 Rosewood Vine, Short-scale Maple Advanced Jumbo

J160E Standard, J160E Peace

Advanced Jumbo

Lone dissenter: J185 Vine

Red 333

Hey I love my wife but I don't want another just like her.

I'm fairly surprised at the J-45 collector syndrome, but differetn strokes for different folks so beit.

I need different ways to say/play things- that's why I play fiddle, mandolin, guitar and banjo and I swap around all the time. Going from one guitar to another just doesn't do it for me. I do like having two of them, and I want the to sound different.

I know, you say your J-45s all sound different, but compared to what? If they are really that different than all bets are off because the model is so inconsistent its silly.

So what do you think...?

The best reason to have two of a guitar model you love is so that you'll have a backup when playing out. This is not all that uncommon among touring guitarists (although having something different that will still work as a backup is more common).

-- Bob

Archived