Gibson Brands Forums

Craigslist experiences?

jimmiJAMM

I've sold three guitars, a sitar, light box, gravity boots, some albums, and bought a five guitars, desktop speakers, compact stereo system, camera, television, laptop, and cellphone, HDMI cable and probably a few things I forgot about.

Anyway, there's a lot of weirdos out there but you really need to weed 'em out through emails before actually meeting up somewhere. Kind of a risky way of doing business if you think about it. These could be serial killers we're dealing with. You go to some one's residence or they come to your yours and there you are. Complete strangers exchanging money for goods. Fortunately I've had mostly positive experiences and bought & sold some great stuff.

Not much luck. It would be better if I lived in a more densely populated area I suppose. I put something for sale and usually get the standard non-specific emails from people trying to harvest email addresses. I think they just send out emails saying "I'm interested in your item, do you still have it?". I foolishly responded to some. Ditto for buying stuff. There may be something interesting at the other end of the state (the "ayuh" part of Maine) but people aren't always willing to ship and I'm not usually willing to drive.

I have meet some "different" people out there on CL. Some people who are very nice and we talk and chat for awhile others I have to make sure I have a get away plan if they are Ax murderer.

Sold Bass Amps, Cabinets, Guitars, Model Trains, on there.

I've sold 4 guitars on CL. I got the price I wanted every time and made money on the 2 used Fenders I had.

Good clear pictures will really help sell your item and be honest in your description. If you bought it IT IS NOT NEW! And if it has some dings and scratches IT IS NOT MINT!

Meeting in public's a good idea but where do you plug in the guitar? Players wanna hear the thing before they buy it. I know I would. Starbucks aint gonna work, McDonald's either. Barnes & Noble? Too quiet. Haha. I suppose meeting at a music shop could work. Bring the guitar in and make like you're amp shopping.

I've had really good luck, too. I've only ever met one guy that really creeped me out, and luckily we were in downtown Indianapolis. I'm a pretty big guy and don't get intimidated easily. I prefer to meet in a public place if possible, it's just safer that way. Hard to do if you want to play electrics, though. My biggest problem here in the Indy area is the sheer amount of crap gear most people have; good stuff only comes up every once in awhile, and sometimes I have to check out the Chicago and Cincy areas for anything worthwhile.

Never had a problem with craigslist. You do have to know what your looking at though. Besides the multiple spam emails you get pretty straight forward. Seems it is a great place for many to try pawning off Chinese Les Paul's as legit as well...

Archived