Gibson Brands Forums

Though it's been asked many times, many ways...

bloom59

Which one should I get!?

Seriously though. I am looking to purchase an amp sometime this summer with a few particulars to consider. I am 100% sure I want tubes, but need to keep it relatively small as I don't need it for gigs or anything outside the house. But I also don't want to have to crank it to 11 to get a little breakup. Money is an issue, range of about $500-700. And I am looking for something that will help me create a clean blues to a dirty blues tone( no metal or anything like that). I currently play a 137 Classic and an Epi LP with Gibson PUPs.

Did some research and began to narrow my search to the 5 below just to get started. I have been able to noodle a bit on the first 3(they all sounded good to me, the Reissue is pretty freakin loud), but I have not been able to find the other 2 yet. Just looking for some feedback from folks that have experience with any of these, good or bad. And I am not super familiar with the amp market, so if there are other ideas of nice amps that would fall into this category please share. 'Preciate the knowledge folks. [biggrin]

Fender Blues Jr.

Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue

Peavey Classic 30

Peavey Delta Blues

Epiphone Blues Custom

The guys' ayes have it...

You've named good stuff.

Your guitar(s) will make the diff.

Here's an idea, too... tip the amp... turn the amp so it's pointed different directions. Play in front of it, behind it, on the sides...

m

Blues Junior is a good one if a bit on the bright sounding side; sounds great clean and moderately overdriven. If you go for one of those, scout out one on the used market; a good price would be $300-$350. I've heard good stuff about those models of Peavey amps but never tried them in particular; I have an old Peavey rack rig that's a good sounding system.

Yeah, the opening question was a poor attempt at humor. I won't buy anything I don't have a chance to play first, I guess I was looking for personal experiences. I figure just about every amp ever made has been played by someone here. There is only so much I can figure out in the shop regarding durability, range/versatility, etc. It is my decision obviously when I buy, but I looked at this like part of the research process. I think getting opinions, reviews, what to look for/look out for from others with more experience than myself can only help.

So maybe this is more of a vague, open-ended poll. Hopefully that is viewed as different than just 'what should I buy.' The more opinions I can get, the more amp hunting I get to do.

Well then I would go to Harmony Central where they have reviews. You

can look up each of those amps and if you find something you have questions

about on a certain amp then ask them here to see if someone can answer your

questions.

CW

I have been scouring youtube, and thanks for the HC tip, forgot about them. I think a 15 watt is all I need, which is one of the things that has drawn me to the Blues Jr. I definately dug the sound, and it has the same tube configuration as the Peavey's. Well, the Peavey's have 4 EL84 and the Blues Jr. has 2 according to specs.

A local shop that does almost exclusively rentals told me a little while ago on the phone they were expecting a Delta Blues to be returned this weekend. As long as I put down a hefty deposit, I can rent for a weekend for next to nothing. That's easier than lugging either guitars around shop to shop. I may start dealing with them more. I would love to get a shot at the Epi Blues Custom.

I am 100% sure I want tubes' date=' but need to keep it relatively small as I don't need it for gigs or anything outside the house. But I also don't want to have to crank it to 11 to get a little breakup. Money is an issue, range of about $500-700. And I am looking for something that will help me create a clean blues to a dirty blues tone( no metal or anything like that). I currently play a 137 Classic and an Epi LP with Gibson PUPs.

Did some research and began to narrow my search to the 5 below just to get started. I have been able to noodle a bit on the first 3(they all sounded good to me, the Reissue is pretty freakin loud), but I have not been able to find the other 2 yet. Just looking for some feedback from folks that have experience with any of these, good or bad. And I am not super familiar with the amp market, so if there are other ideas of nice amps that would fall into this category please share. 'Preciate the knowledge folks. [cool

Fender Blues Jr.

Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue

Peavey Classic 30

Peavey Delta Blues

Epiphone Blues Custom

IMHO

You're on the right track in that you are 100% sure on wanting a tube amp!

I have no experience with the Peavey's or Epiphone. However, both of the fenders are decent amps. The thing I love about fenders is first they have a great clean sound which I like at times. I also really love their reverb. I also love their sound when the tubes compress and break up - to me it seems to have that classic rock sound which I prefer as compared to a high gain amp such as a Mesa (I like Mesa's for different reasons).

Of those two I prefer the deluxe but you said it is pretty loud for you. It will give you room to grow should you get to the point of playing out. An alternative is to get an Ibanez Tube Screamer. This will increase the guitar signal going into the amp causing it to break up sooner. Visit your local music store and ask if they have a tube screamer and try it out with any/all of the amps and see how it works/hear how it sounds. Don't confuse this with a distortion pedal as they are a little different.

Having said this keep in mind that I don't own either one but I've only played them. I play something similar but different.

Hope this helps.

RE: Epi Blues Custom

Played one a few months ago...nice amp!

It is tube-rectified, so you will get that "bluesy" sag.

It has an A/AB switch-15 watts Class A or 30 watts AB. Only played it at 15 watts.

Channel 1 is pretty clean & a little hard to break up w/single coils, but breaks up nicely with humbuckers.

(I played my '54 BB RI, the owner had a '57 RI-so both were LPs)

The "overdrive" channel is moderate (in a GOOD way).

Won't do metal without a pedal....it's creamy sounding, not harsh at all.

Doesn't have an effects loop or a headphone jack.

A really good amp for the price.

Certainly would do blues & classic rock...BUT

It weighs as much as my Bluesbreaker, at least 70 lbs maybe more.

And even 15 watts of tube power is still really loud.

You can really get great cleans and some tube breakup, depending on the size of the amp in the Fender Hot Rod Series. Get you a ts-808 or Blues driver and you are set. They are really a great clean base tone to paint your musical picture on...that sounds kind of like a stoner..lol I think the Jr. would be a great fit for you, but alas it is your choice!

J

Archived