Gibson Brands Forums

Backup/flyaway guitar choices...

Jinder

So, as I mentioned before, I need a cheaper backup guitar that I can also use for flyaway live shows overseas.

I've tried a few and have a shortlist, but I'd love any suggestions or opinions.

Here is my shortlist. Anything without a pickup will have a Baggs M1 or Fishman UST system fitted:

Epiphone IB '64 Texan

Epiphone EL-00

Epiphone Dove

Takamine G406S 'New Yorker'

I've tried a few others, Yairi make brilliant instruments but are out of my price range, and I liked the Epi Masterbilts I played, but have heard nightmarish stories about lifting bridges, bellying tops and general problems. Ditto for the Guild GAD range-I've owned three of them, all sounded brilliant but two of the three had severe bellying issues which led to warranty claims etc.

Do let me know your thoughts/opinions...my budget is £400 max.

I now have eight Ovations so you might guess as to my response.

Jinder is not interested in your personal problems' date=' ksd. [bored

Jinder, those Epiphone Texans recently got a lot of love around here. I also have to concur with davenumber2 as far as at least checking out the Recording King and Blueridge offerings. And of course, low-end Yamahas are, IMO, great guitars for the money. (Most of them I've played also tend to be shallower, which might help with your shoulder pain)

EDIT: Also, what about Silver Creek? A nice T-160?

What BK said --

I would put more emphasis on the Recording Kings as good options. (I don't much care for the Blueridge sound; the ones I've played have seemed harsh and 'cheap'.) But I played a RK that had my head spinning! If you can find a good sounding old Yamaha- that doesn't need a neck set- you'll also have something. But if I had to get something tomorrow, it would be a Recording King.

The only Masterbilt I've read about having bridge issues was the 12 fret model (which had a different bridge than the others, too). There were a batch of those with that problem, but I don't think it is widespread to the others. I cerainly don't know for sure, somaybe others could share their experiences. I've had great luck with them (but as members of a fair size colection, they don't get played for any great length of time...)

Red 333

Thanks for the input guys!!

Drath, how did you find that EJ160E?

With regard to the Blueridges, I really like the tone but the necks are too narrow for me :-(

Recording Kings sound interesting...I've read a lot of positive press. What models should I try out? OM size would be good but I'm open minded.

Silver Creek guitars are very scarce-possible not distributed-in the UK. I've never seen one anywhere, instore, onstage or online.

Yamahas are great, I'm a big fan and I have a mate who's an endorsee and who helped design and develop their latest top-sensor pickup system...that could be a route worth taking.

What is everyone's opinion on Epi acoustics? The IB'64 Texan is a firm contender, but I also like the EL-00 (although neck skinniness could be an issue) and the Dove. I've heard Epi Doves that with a bone saddle'n'nut upgrade and a set of Mediums fitted that sound excellent.

I guess I'm attracted to Epi through the Gibson connection...Red, I think the Cedar-top 12 fretter that you mentioned was the main bridge culprit for the Masterbilts, but I've heard their light build can sometimes go against their favour in terms of durability, plus I like a gloss top for a gigging guitar to help prevent dings and general wear. All of that is unfortunate as an EF500R or RA would be absolutely perfect in terms of nut width, scale length and tone.

What is everyone's opinion on Epi acoustics? The IB'64 Texan is a firm contender' date=' but I also like the EL-00 (although neck skinniness could be an issue) and the Dove. I've heard Epi Doves that with a bone saddle'n'nut upgrade and a set of Mediums fitted that sound excellent.[/quote']

Dude, the Masterbilts are AWESOME. I almost took one home a few weeks ago, and believe me, the last thing I need right now is another guitar - especially a dread. I literally have nowhere else to store another. But I just couldn't resist. It sounded amazing. Played amazing. Amazing price. Seriously, check one out. (Though IIRC, the nut was fairly narrow - might not work for you)

Other Epis are hit and miss. I had an EJ-200 for awhile last year. It played really well, and sounded pretty good once I upgraded the saddle/nut/pins. But the 3" of polyurethane finish really bugged me.

I've seen nothing but good reviews for Recording Kings. The couple I've tried have been impressive guitars. Can't recall what they were, though.

That said, I think everyone knows I'm a fan of Epiphone's new IB'64 Texan. The one I've got is a fine instrument. Very dependable, so far. Good sound unplugged and plugged.

BK, I will give the Masterbilts a fair crack of the whip-I am intrigued. It's hard to track one down to play over here, but I will have a scout around and see what comes forth.

David, how did you find the neck width and profile on the IB'64 after playing your Early J45 (fantastic guitars aren't they? I owned one for a couple of years but had to part with it in times of financial strife) previously?

I am very keen on the IB and loved the two I played a fortnight ago. Great tone, to my ears, as I've said before. However, my only reservation is over the 1 11/16th nut width, after being used to the 1.725" Gibson necks for so long. I'd be intrigued to know your thoughts.

David' date=' how did you find the neck width and profile on the IB'64 after playing your Early J45 (fantastic guitars aren't they? I owned one for a couple of years but had to part with it in times of financial strife) previously?

I am very keen on the IB and loved the two I played a fortnight ago. Great tone, to my ears, as I've said before. However, my only reservation is over the 1 11/16th nut width, after being used to the 1.725" Gibson necks for so long. I'd be intrigued to know your thoughts.[/quote']

I haven't had any trouble playing the Texan. It is quite easy to play. The string spacing is comfortable, as is the neck. I can't say enough good things about its playability. While I like the tone/sound that the short scale of the J-45 provides, I also like the longer neck of the Texan.

The big thing for me -- other than the fact it is a Texan -- is the dependability factor. If I have to fuss with a guitar or worry about whether it is going to stay in tune or provide good plugged-in sound, then that guitar isn't for me. My experience with the Texan so far has been great. I've used it at six gigs to date and haven't found anything to complain about. The Shadow Nanoflex seems very dependable and problem-free. Plug it in and go.

At one of the gigs -- a six-hour performance for all the classes in my old grade school -- I played acoustically and the guitar projected very well and sounded great unplugged. It wasn't a bluegrass cannon, but then it isn't designed to be. But it was plenty loud enough. Definitely not thin. (And I know because I've had plenty of guitars in my youth whose sound defined "thin." Plywood-topped Takamine, anyone?)

And, at the end of the day, it is a Texan, one of the coolest guitars ever made.

Thanks for the input guys!!

Drath' date=' how did you find that EJ160E?

[/quote']

Jinder,

I found it broken on eBay and repaired it. Oh, I know, you mean, how did I find its sound and playability. Well... plugged in it sounds nothing like a Gibson J160e and unplugged it sounds like a typical laminated acoustic; rather uninteresting. Playability was ok but not great. I put a Baggs Element in it and disconnected the P90 which sounded like crap (the P90 I mean). I actually gave it to my son and he took it to school and let someone borrow it and it disappeared.

I guess it is an ok guitar for a laminated, plastic coated cheapo guitar but that's the kicker... they aren't cheap! Saw one on the wall at Long & McQuade a few weeks ago for about $550 Cdn. Sheesh. I guess you put a decal with Lennon's autograph on it and you can mark it up 50%. And BTW... it is NOTHING even close to Lennon's J160e.

Archived