Gibson Brands Forums

Gulf Coast Oil Spill

jimmiJAMM

Looks like this is turning out to be an environmental disaster of epic proportions. Really sad. In edition to the marine and wildlife that will suffer, fisherman and related businesses will be hit hard because few have oil spill insurance. This was an accident and these things happen but my heart goes out to the people of New orleans especially because they've been through so much already and it could be heading their way.

Let's hope ongoing plans to avert a catastrophe are successful.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_louisiana_oil_rig_explosion

Listening to my hero Rush Limbaugh;

He just mentioned a bit of data I found interesting - quoted from a source I didn't catch.

5,000 barrels a day seep into the Gulf Of Mexico from various natural fissures in the sea floor.

Of course, this is spread over a vast area - unlike the 5,000 barrels a day coming from a single rig site.

Being an Oil Biz kid, I knew there was petroleum oozing and blowing from the earth on every corner of the globe.

But I didn't realize that much entered the Gulf.

Interesting...

True, NeoCon. I heard that this am on NPR but the guy talking about it said that natural oozing's so spread out that it dissipates and the environmental effects are barely noticeable. This situation is different. We're talking about a massive continuous flow from a single source seventy-five miles from land. It's like if someone craps in a lake, or your swimming pool. Which is gonna cause more of a stink?

The Blob is coming to a shoreline near you...

The%20Blob%201958%20Steve%20McQueen%20Criterion%20DVD%20Review%20PDVD_007001.jpg

I heard earlier that swat teams were in route to ispect other off shore riggs..........say what now..........no other news on that.........

But ............the people that train for rig scenario's are SEAL teams..........

It is much worse.............they say it is pumping out 210.000 barrels a day now !

"Come listen to a story 'bout a man named Jed.

Poor mountaineer barely kept his fam'ly fed.

And then one day he was shootin' at some food.........

And up through the ground come a bubblin' crude.

"Oil that is." "Black Gold." "Texas Tea."

:-

QUICK! EVERYBODY IN THE MISSISSIPPI WATERSHED.

FLUSH!

TWICE!

Maybe we can force a reverse storm surge and push it on out to the Atlantic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![blink]

That would be funnier if this wasn't such a serious f**kin' disaster.

The entire eco-system's screwed along with everyone along the coastline who makes a living in fishing industry which will in turn effect a vast number of the US population. It aint Armageddon but it's definitely no joking matter.

nAW they just gone light it on fire......yeah that will be good for the beach.......short term ....but when the chemical poisons released from combustion are released into the water and air that is even worse than the oil.............hey I am not giving up my gas powered truck today........but we as a Nation have

to phase out the need for oil based products...........it will be the only way we can really hurt the forces it funds in there mission to attack us.

Just an FYI, only about 45% of a barrel of oil goes to motor fuels. The rest is feedstock for the chemical industry - even if we stopped using oil as fuel, production would only drop by about 30% and right now the best new sources are offshore. If you want secure oil supplies for the US, then offshore drilling is the only realistic possibility (unless you want to mine the Rocky Mountains to a depth of about 4000 feet from central Colorado to northern Canada). While the spill is a problem it can be cleaned up and the Gulf Coast is not Alaska - conditions are completely different.

Listening to my hero Rush Limbaugh;

He just mentioned a bit of data I found interesting - quoted from a source I didn't catch.

5' date='000 barrels a day seep into the Gulf Of Mexico from various natural fissures in the sea floor.

Of course, this is spread over a vast area - unlike the 5,000 barrels a day coming from a single rig site.

Being an Oil Biz kid, I knew there was petroleum oozing and blowing from the earth on every corner of the globe.

But I didn't realize that much entered the Gulf.

Interesting...[/quote']

Oh good, it can't be that bad then. I mean, if Mother Nature is doing it, why should British Petroleum care? Thank GOD for Limbaugh's "special" insight. [blink]

By the same Logic, methane in Coal Mines shouldn't be an issue. After all, Coal Miners Fart.

All of us will be dead by the time of mans missuse of the planet has the worst effects............but a good dose of foresight is never a bad thing.

I have yet to see any miricals or magic in my life.........no true god..........so reap what you f-ckin sow ....a human wrote that........and only a human.

^ I'm not sure I disagree (heck, I've already admitted that I don't try very hard on a google search), but I do have a hard time telling the difference between his incisive insight, and what might just well be an Oxycodone-induced hallucination.

I guess I just don't possess the secret decoder ring...

...I do have a hard time telling the difference between his incisive insight' date='

and what might just well be an Oxycodone-induced hallucination. [/quote']

Hmmmm....

The Double Standard lives.

There was an impassioned post in another thread (Go Green!!! Yes, even you Fat Cats...) by our

friend First Measure, on page 2, cautioning us on the hazards of the Liberal angle being established

and any Conservative who wants to make a comment must take a defensive attitude before

anyone can form an opinion.

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=32587&p=2

Something like that anyhow, I'm going from memory.

Point remains the same though, eh?

(This oughta be fxcking hilarious!) :-)

The thread has strayed from its original point - Liberal Hate rears its ugly head again.

Oil spill becomes a Conservative beat-down gang-bang.

Seems some people can only make a point the same way they have sex - lotsa help.

[biggrin]/

...........Hey .........hold on there Neo........let me just axe you dis .........if all was right and good with neocon repuglican policy why were we not

as aCountry in the best shape ever after 8 years of your conservative administration...........where was the Country at the close of Mr Bush ?

Hey Blackie, did you know that there's fxcking oil spreading all over the Gulf of Mexico?

Been on the news non-stop.

There's even a thread on it at the Gibson forum.

Check it out - http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=32606

The Mod Squad gets pissy when threads stray - especially when they turn political.

I know, that the definition of "political" only covers Liberals getting pissed, but let's not chance it, eh?

Archived