Gibson Brands Forums

Elvis Costello @ Jazz Fest with Gibson...

passthej45

While we are on the subject....what about Ric Ocasek(from the Cars) and that hot Paulina Poritzkova(sic) and don't forget Lyle Lovett and what's her name ? I on the other hand would never be so shallow as to use my musical talents to work my way into the arms of a beautiful woman ! right :-

There is a myth that guitar players pull birds. When Bridget Bardot was married to Sasha Distel the jazz guitarist she was asked to list what she liked most about him. Of his many atributes guitar playing was not one of them

Some years ago I was at a party and got talking to this very beautiful girl, It was going well enough and she told me that she had been married to a guitar player who's band currently had a hit in the US and UK chards. This was my moment, "I play guitar" says I. She looked at me and without a word walked away.

Gotta chime in here. I saw EC last week in Atlanta at the Tabernacle. Was a fantastic show, with EC and the band playing with fire. I will try to get some of my cell pics up, time always being the issue. What was particularly impressive was his ability to revisit older material with new arrangements that didn't lose anything in the offering. Really does highlight his stellar song writing abilities.

After the show EC was more than willing to spend time with us geeky want to get my picture taken crowd. He signed autos and posed for pictures for all those waiting. Quite graciously I might add. Softspoken, warm smiles and not at all rushed.

Years ago I lived in Japan. Getting backstage was not hard for Americans. During my high school years I met quite a few bands including Thin Lizzy, Journey and the Cars. ( came close to meeting Clapton but we got nabbed as we were crossing the threshold to the room the band was meeting in before the show! ah, so close but yet so far... )

The guys in Lizzy including Phil Lynott were most welcoming and treated us star struck teenagers like friends and were appreciative of our enthusiasm. In fact we spent several hours with them. The guys in the Cars, (excepting the drummer Robinson) were just obnoxious, esp Rick. The descriptive rhymes with his name for that matter. BTW Journey were polite and even put us on the guest list for the next night, but you could tell their heart's weren't in any after the show antics or conversation and were probably thinking of getting a good nights sleep. I guess in retrospect, their willing to say hello was all the more generous.

Any of you dissing EC for any reason can just silence yourself now. Seriously.

You ain't kiddin'. He may be an aquired taste, but he's a hell of a talent.

Of course I named my first son Declan after the man so I might be a tad biased. ;-)

Very "harmonious" BK!

My comment reads much harsher than I heard it in my head.

But nonetheless, Elvis Costello is clearly in the race for greatest songwriter since Dylan. He may not be to everyone's taste, but he's earned his place.

P.S. The "Harmony" in my name is not about peace and love. It refers to the guitar brand.

Around 1980, Costello was in a bar after a gig with Steven Stills and Bonnie Bramlett and belligerently announced that James Brown was a "jive *** N----r", Ray Charles was a "blind, ignorant N----r", and Clapton was a "wannabe N----r". Bramlett punched Costello in the nose and the next day, made a point of telling the press what she thought of him. Costello quickly called a press conference to say he was drunk and just wanted to piss off Clapton and Bramlett. He had the opportunity to apologize to Ray Charles personally and chickened out. Ray forgave him anyway. That's why I'd take Ray Charles over Elvis Costello any day.

Around 1980' date=' Costello was in a bar after a gig with Steven Stills and Bonnie Bramlett and belligerently announced that James Brown was a "jive *** N----r", Ray Charles was a "blind, ignorant N----r", and Clapton was a "wannabe N----r". Bramlett punched Costello in the nose and the next day, made a point of telling the press what she thought of him. Costello quickly called a press conference to say he was drunk and just wanted to piss off Clapton and Bramlett. He had the opportunity to apologize to Ray Charles personally and chickened out. Ray forgave him anyway. That's why I'd take Ray Charles over Elvis Costello any day.[/quote']

Oh, that. Yeah, he was quite the prick.

No matter how drunk, that's pretty unforgivable. But all the artists we love have 'artistic' temperaments whether it's Ray Charles (mean-spirited junkie in his day) Neil Young (narcissistic a**hole) or Bob Dylan (all of the above). In my record collection there's room for all of them-including lots of Elvis Costello, too.

Archived