Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a Gibson ?

Squeezle

Sorry if this is the wrong place or not proper as a new guy but I don't know a lot

about Gibson's except a lot of really cool guitarist play them.

So a friend of mine says this is an sg. It plays good but is kind of busted up looking.

It has been painted and there is no serial number.

He says I can get it for about $475 but I have seen a lot of other new guitars that are

perfect looking, although this one seems to play real good.

Guitaretc063.jpg

Guitaretc064.jpg

I'm guessing it's a modified Epiphone G-400, based on the not-quite-right headstock and un-bound fretboard. The smaller pickguard (like the early SGs) is also standard on the G-400, while a Gibson SG Standard has the later, bigger, pickguard.

It looks like a late 70's but has the wrong inlays.CW

The inlays would be fine if it's a Type 1 SG and the neck may be bound - it's hard to tell!

Some stuff looks OK and others are certainly wrong but that might just be because it's been 'improved' over the years.

I would love to get my hands on it to give it a good going-over.

...um ......shhh quite on this thread....that be the bicuit guitar I am tryin to sell to squeezle or should I

say have him knock my rent down a bit..............tell him it is a good gee-tarr.

I vote that it's real and from the mid to late 60s. Headstock width, pickguard, neck joint, horn sculpting, no volute... sorry, guys, if it's a fake it's got me fooled. It may have been 3/4 destroyed over the years but I say it's the Real Deal.

I vote that it's real and from the mid to late 60s. Headstock width' date=' pickguard, neck joint, horn sculpting, no volute... sorry, guys, if it's a fake it's got me fooled. It may have been 3/4 destroyed over the years but I say it's the Real Deal.[/quote']

I'm with you except I'd not rule out the early '60s either!.

Hey! If it's from 1961 those may be a set of PAF's...

[biggrin]

I'm with you except I'd not rule out the early '60s either!.

Agreed. I misspoke-mistyped. I guess when I think of early 60s I think of them all having that big overgrown sideways vibrola, which isn't tue of course, but it clouded my vision.

"How Dumb I am Confession Dept": In 1984 an SG showed up in a local music store on consignment. I can't recall specifics but thinking back it may have been a Special from the 60s routed for humbuckers. It had been refinished horribly with stain and varnish. I looked at the horns and thought, geez, it looks like the treble horn had been chipped off and reshaped.... Gawd, how would I fix THAT?

I didn't realize the horns on an SG were asymmetrical. There was nothing wrong with the horns.

The price? $125. It lasted one day.

"How Dumb I am Confession Dept":

I did something very similar in '84 or '85 with a so-called 'Stratocaster'. At the time I had three or four real ones so 'knew' what to look for.

The peghead and Fender decal were obviously 'wrong'. It was only $200 so I smelled a very large rat and walked out.

Three weeks later I learned about Fender's 'transition period' instruments...

[biggrin]

It can work in the other direction too. There was a used junk shop, big building, with... well, you name it. Standard fare of Hondo LP copies and Audition solid bodies from Christmas of '69. Mother's Day 1984 my girlfriend and I walked in there and saw a butt-ugly hollow body electric that someone had painted red with gold glitter. I saw the big backwards F on the tailpiece, flipped it over and saw the big backwards F on the neck plate. A couple months earlier I had coughed up the $30 for a hard cover edition of Tom Wheeler's American Guitars and from that, recognized the junker as being a Fender Coronado II. Turned out to be a 1967.

$49.95 later I walked out the door with it.

I was able to wet sand the red paint off the headstock, revealing the logo. Wasn't pretty but it was there. I refinished the body blonde. I miss that guitar. It may have been horrid looking but it just begged to be played. Loud.

Archived