Gibson Brands Forums

Jimmy Vaughan

DAS44

Got one of those essential albums the other day.

Great stuff. He stands in the shadow of Stevie but damn I love Jimmy's stuff a lot too.

51I2jqPWhgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I don't like how he's holding that guitar tho.... seems unsafe.

Jimmie is one of the greats. I always felt his stuff was more lyrical than Stevies. His Phrasing and Tone are so raw and up front, more of the Classic Bluesman, Stevie had a very Modern Edge.

He was also Stevies Biggest Influence. Whenever it seemed SRV was "Just Showing Off", he was, but not for the audience. He was showing off to his Big Brother.

It's just a Strat. What's the worst that could happen?

Only the most influential guitar in the history of the solid body electric. While the Les Paul is iconic, and the SG important, more recognizable and culturally important music has, and continues to be played on the Fender Strat. Just sayin... :)

But strong enough to use as a Jack Stand, or do like this to......

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Jump ahead to 3:50 if you don't want to watch the wole Great Performance from the Must Have DVD "Live at the El Macombo"

It's just a Strat. What's the worst that could happen?

[cool]

Haha I love strats tho :)

FM, yep Jimmy always was Stevie's favorite guitarist. They are similar in their own way but I agree that Jimmy's music was more lyrically based. Also the solos are less complex than Stevie's in my opinion. That doenst mean they're any less awesome.

I've missed Jimmy Vaughan 'live' by an inch...he just had left The Fabulous Thunderbirds and was replaced by Duke Robillard(still a great concert back in 1992), but hey I've got every FT record and he's an outstanding guitarist. Love also both albums:

JimmieVaughan-StrangePleasure.jpg[biggrin]

FamilyStyle.jpg[blink]

Ive seen him twice at the House Of Blues in Orlando,, puts on GREAT shows !! as stated, he's very RAW and in your face and certainly a different style than his brother,, I have one of his signature strats and LOVE it !! Its right up there with my Mayer strat which costs 3 times as much !! I love a strat/Marshall combo man !! its that old Hendrix, SRV influences that hit me every now and then !! Of course I love my Buckers too !!

Archived