Gibson Brands Forums

A LP Custom for $1660

alans056

Hello

I would like to know if there is any chance I could find (and buy) a Gibson Les Paul Custom for around $1660 (second hand of course).

Because at the moment I have an Epiphone LP C, but I got to realise that even though it's a quite good guitar, it's not a Gibson-quality.

There is a permanent fretbuzz (and I went to the store twice to get it set up, they said no matter what they do there will always be a little buz, because the quality isn't like Gibson).

So, yeah. I want a really cool-looking guitar with NO FRET BUZZ (god that drives me insane) and a top-quality.

Unfortunately, I can't find that with Epiphone, so I am willing to spend the money.

Thank you!

Alan.

... There is a permanent fretbuzz (and I went to the store twice to get it set up' date=' they said no matter what they do there will always be a little buz, because the quality isn't like Gibson). ...[/quote']

Welcome.

A decent luthier coulf fix that buzz, but the cost of the fix compared to the cost of the guitar might not make the fix worth the expense.

As far as a LP Custom - you could get lucky on ebay or Craig's List. I've seen them bid below $1700. You could definitely get a nice used Standard for that money.

Welcome.

A decent luthier coulf fix that buzz' date=' but the cost of the fix compared to the cost of the guitar might not make the fix worth the expense.

As far as a LP Custom - you could get lucky on ebay or Craig's List. I've seen them bid below $1700. You could definitely get a nice used Standard for that money.

[/quote']

Thank you for your answer!

But no, I am not looking for a Standard, but a Custom.

And no luthier where I live...

You need a fret dressing' date=' that should solve the buzz problem. 1660 is on the low end of LPC, if you don't mind cosmetic blemishes. [/quote']

I don't mind scratches at all (as long as it's not HUGE you know) in fact I find it interesting, it gives the feeling that the guitar went through a lot (concerts etc) it's nice.

But yeah, you don't seem very optimistic so... [biggrin]

about 3 years ago I bought my 1999 custom (all original with case in excellent condition) for $1500.. But that was a steal... You would be fortunate to find an all orig. custom for below $2000 let alone $1600... I guess if you find one with a headstock repair, you could buy it for about $1600 ...

Gibson Les Paul Custom for around $1660 (second hand of course).

As others said' date=' it's possible.

Keep searching Ebay.

For that price (here in the USA) you would have to live with some cosmetic flaws or modifications.

Buying from France, I don't know what that does to your purchasing power.

Good job standing your ground on a [i']Gibson[/i] Les Paul Custom.

You'll know the difference once you play both of them extensively, and you'll never regret it.

Good luck.

If I was you, I'd go ahead and convert my euros to USD now because EUR/USD parity (and beyond) is a comming. The only thing worse than how our (US) govenment is selling us down the river is how your Eurozone govs are doing it. Good luck, I love my Custom, you will too!

I see. But it drives me NUTS that the only music store in my town can't do anything more than just "minimizing" de fret buzz.

And besides, they told me that when you buy a $2000 guitar you pay for an excellent manufacturing quality. Perfectly strait frets etc...

Those perfect, straight frets rest on a neck made of wood and wood can shift.

And besides, they were wrong. I've seen plenty of $2,000+ Gibson guitars with bad frets.

One LPC I even almost bought even had a bad neck.

It doesn't matter what name is on the headstock...wood is wood.

It's possible but it will take patience and luck.

Like Are Nine said, even the custom shop puts out duds. Guitars vary quite a bit even in the same model. I want to try before I buy but plenty of people on here buy sight unseen and couldn't be happier.

Why don't you like the standard? I understand that you're looking for a specific model but it's a little unlikely that you will get one for that price from France.

about 3 years ago I bought my 1999 custom (all original with case in excellent condition) for $1500.. But that was a steal... You would be fortunate to find an all orig. custom for below $2000 let alone $1600... I guess if you find one with a headstock repair' date=' you could buy it for about $1600 ... [/quote']

i bought my '76 deluxe for $1500...just look around, theres absolute STEALS out there everywhere.

Alan' date=' theres a custom on ebay thats at 1100 and probably would be close to what your lookin for--it says 1980 custom--ck it out and have some of the real gurus here look to see if its the real deal--[/quote']

I think you are referring to this :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1980-Les-Paul-Gibson-Custom-/110529778318?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item19bc16928e

That price will not last.. I predict this one will sell for about $1800 It will probably need new frets... Add another $350...

I see. But it drives me NUTS that the only music store in my town can't do anything more than just "minimizing" de fret buzz.

And besides' date=' they told me that when you buy a $2000 guitar you pay for an excellent manufacturing quality. Perfectly strait frets etc...[/quote']

This something you'll have to get over with when buying a Gibson. $2000 does not guarantee perfection. Everyone brand new Les Paul I've purchased in the last five years has had uneven frets. Including my newer pleked Traditional Pro.

But once the frets are leveled and the guitar is properly set you'll be happy for a lifetime.

Archived