Gibson Brands Forums

Cure for a low nut slot...

Jinder

The top E nut slot on my Blues King was cut rather low at the factory, and as a result, after a month of gigging the little beast hard, the top E started to buzz on the first fret.

I was offered a free setup after a month by the shop I bought it from, but I have declined for two reasons-firstly, I LOVE the way this guitar plays and sounds. I don't want to change a thing. Secondly, the shop's workshop facility isn't much more than a carpeted workbench behind the sales counter.

So, to remedy my low nut slot, I put in a fillet of CA (superglue) and shaved in a good dose of bone dust from a blank I had kicking around.

I let this cure for three days, then filed the slot out to the perfect depth, shaved in some graphite dust and restrung...

Seems perfect so far! One gig and loads of home playing since, and it's holding up very well.

Did I do the right thing?

I've found if the super glue/dust mix sticks well initially, you're good for a while. A while could be several years, who knows? I've had trouble in the past with the mix sticking in the first place but I've got the patience of a mosquito with ADD.

At some point you will stumble across someone who can make you a nice nut from scratch and I would encourage you to treat yourself to a new nut. As long as this one is holding up then it's not an issue, but a new one will remove any "how long will this last" angst.

The top E nut slot on my Blues King was cut rather low at the factory' date=' and as a result, after a month of gigging the little beast hard, the top E started to buzz on the first fret.

I was offered a free setup after a month by the shop I bought it from, but I have declined for two reasons-firstly, I LOVE the way this guitar plays and sounds. I don't want to change a thing. Secondly, the shop's workshop facility isn't much more than a carpeted workbench behind the sales counter.

So, to remedy my low nut slot, I put in a fillet of CA (superglue) and shaved in a good dose of bone dust from a blank I had kicking around.

I let this cure for three days, then filed the slot out to the perfect depth, shaved in some graphite dust and restrung...

Seems perfect so far! One gig and loads of home playing since, and it's holding up very well.

Did I do the right thing?[/quote']

Jinder, that's how the pros do it....by the way, how is your shoulder?????

The top E nut slot on my Blues King was cut rather low at the factory' date=' and as a result, after a month of gigging the little beast hard, the top E started to buzz on the first fret.

Did I do the right thing?[/quote']

It is what the pro's do! [biggrin] Good work!

I had a low nut slot once' date=' hot baths, wearing an athletic supporter, stop drinking coffee and booze, and celebacy cured it right up.....good luck !!![/quote']

I've heard that celibacy only works for priests and Sarah Palin's family.... wait... ~Gilda Radner voice~ Never mind!

I've found if the super glue/dust mix sticks well initially' date=' you're good for a while. A while could be several years, who knows? I've had trouble in the past with the mix sticking in the first place but I've got the patience of a mosquito with ADD.

At some point you will stumble across someone who can make you a nice nut from scratch and I would encourage you to treat yourself to a new nut. As long as this one is holding up then it's not an issue, but a new one will remove any "how long will this last" angst.

[/quote']

absolutely 100%. perfect answer.

you fixed it the right way. that's the way i always do it in a pinch. the new nut is of course the best answer, but i have fixed many guitars this way and it's not a problem. just make sure you smooth everything out so it looks like there never was a slot before you cut the new one.

Thanks for the input, guys.

I know a new nut is the ultimate solution, but it will have to wait for a wee while until I have some free cash (new baby and September wedding are breaking the bank at the mo!).

For now, the repair seems to be holding up well...such a wonderful sounding guitar, too-it gets better every time I pick it up!

Way back when, we used to stick some folded paper in the nut.

A while back I had to rebuilt the outside side of the low E part of nut on an old Harmony Stella which had broken off. Used superglue and some sawdust and it worked fine.

Actually' date=' if you follow some good instructions, I think making your own nut is pretty easy. You just need a few basic tools and a small vice.

How to make a nut

the science and math part is pretty easy with the right tools. this is sculpting though. it's an art as much as a science. this is why many guitars show up from factories around the world with a bad nut. practice several before putting one in your prized guitar.

Archived