Gibson Brands Forums

Road Rage

Californiaman

In California where I used to live there were tons of places where 2 lanes merge into one. It used to chap my a*s when people would go as far as they could in less traveled lane to get to the front of the line in time to cut someone off. Until I did it once and this ancient man wouldn't let me in and he and his ancient wife both flipped me off. Ate some humble pie that day and now I just drive and if somebody wants in, I let them in. Figure I'd save my heart that way from the stress.

Going to someone's house in a road rage event is just plain dumb I think.

Anyone experienced road rage from a car whilst on a bicycle? Now that's frightening.

Bicyclists are by and large productive and active members of society, but as always there's exceptions to every rule.

I've considered very strongly bringing a bill to the city to force anyone on a bicycle over the age of sixteen to register their vehicle, insure it, and own an operating license for it, which would make them illegal to have on side walks.

If you want to be a vehicle and have the benefits of it on the road then you must abide by the same rules as all other motorists. If your gears scratch the hell out of my car, or you roll through an intersection at a red light, or four way stop and cause an accident then you are liable, and must have insurance to pay for the damages.

Bicyclists are by and large productive and active members of society' date=' but as always there's exceptions to every rule.

I've considered very strongly bringing a bill to the city to force anyone on a bicycle over the age of sixteen to register their vehicle, insure it, and own an operating license for it, which would make them illegal to have on side walks.

If you want to be a vehicle and have the benefits of it on the road then you must abide by the same rules as all other motorists. If your gears scratch the hell out of my car, or you roll through an intersection at a red light, or four way stop and cause an accident then you are liable, and must have insurance to pay for the damages.

[/quote']

I agree. Chicago tries to be a bicycle friendly city and I am always looking out for bikes when in my car, but cyclists have to meet us half way.

1. You must obey the same traffic rules as the other vehicles. That means stopping at four way stops.

2. You are suicidal if you bike on major, four lane streets that do not have bike lanes. It is also dangerous to cars trying to go around you. Ashland or Western? Stupid. Why not try Damen or Ravenswood.

3. This is the biggest one and seems to be a huge problem in my neighborhood: DO NOT BIKE ON THE SIDEWALK. I am on foot and cannot get out of your way fast enough. Did not feel bad when you had to crash your bike into that wrought iron fence because my wife could not get out of your way. She was bent down untangling the puppy's leash. Should have kicked you while you were down, jerk face.

Aren't humans just so civilized? Sheesh, it sucks how angry some people get over such small things.

Honestly, to shoot a guy cause he did something wrong while driving?

I'm with the others, I want to hear how this turns out.

Speaking of Road Rage against Bicyclists:

(06-04) 19:03 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco police arrested an Albany man Friday on suspicion of carrying out a six-minute rampage in an SUV in which he mowed down four bicyclists before smashing his vehicle into a light pole and running away.

Police have not released the suspect's name because he is being "medically evaluated" for psychological and other problems and has not been booked, Police Chief George Gascón said at a news conference.

The man, who is in his 40s, was arrested at about 1 p.m. after he went to the Albany Police Department and fabricated a story about his car being carjacked in San Francisco, police said.

Investigators had said that the 2008 blue Nissan Rogue crossover sport utility vehicle used in Wednesday's attacks in the Mission District and Potrero Hill was registered to a Berkeley address, but they kept a tight lid on clues until after the arrest.

Police said Friday that after the driver - who, it turns out, owned the Rogue - crashed his car, he left behind his wallet, keys and a cell phone. Investigators went to the Berkeley address, "but he had moved and we could not contact him," said Sgt. Jon Kasper.

Inspectors then "conducted surveillance with the Albany Police Department," and moved in when he surfaced at the department with his carjacking tale, Kasper said.

The suspect was arrested on four counts each of attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon and felony hit and run.

Gascón said he hoped to release the name and photo of the suspect over the weekend. "We feel very strongly we have the suspect," he said.

The attacks began at 9:43 p.m. Wednesday on a quiet stretch of Harrison Street, near 23rd Street in the Mission District.

Witnesses said the SUV came speeding south on the street, hit the first bicyclist head on, and then hit the second less than a block away at 24th Street.

The driver roared east about a mile to the corner of 23rd and Pennsylvania streets, where he hit the third cyclist. Then he sped several blocks north to Potrero Hill, where he hit his last victim at the corner of Missouri and 17th streets and slammed to a stop against a light pole.

The driver ran away, witnesses said, leaving shattered pieces of his vehicle and a parked Jeep that he also hit.

The Pennsylvania Street victim, 39-year-old Rory Madden of San Francisco, was treated at the scene for scrapes and bruises, then sent home.

The other three victims - all men, ranging in age from their 20s to their 40s - were more seriously injured but are expected to survive, said San Francisco General Hospital spokeswoman Rachael Kagan. Their names have not been released.

"They're all looking better today, but they still don't want to talk to anyone," Kagan said.

One man was upgraded Friday to serious condition from critical. Another victim was also in serious condition, and the third was in fair condition.

Chronicle staff writer Erin Allday contributed to this report. E-mail Kevin Fagan at kfagan@sfchronicle.com.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/06/04/BAHH1DQ6Q4.DTL#ixzz0qIWTssFt

Bicycle riders are a different breed in some ways I live in a bicycle friendly community that has ton's of trails and bike lanes but we still end up with bicycle riders on sidewalk and on major streets that are adamant that they have the same rights as cars so they get run over a lot. I'm somewhat sympathetic but if your on a bicycle doing 15-20 mph and riding in the traffic lane on a arterial street and the speed limit is 45 your pretty much asking to be a hood ornament. when they can accelerate and maintain speed with traffic then cool if not than stay in a bicycle lane or on a bike trail.

Getting so pissed off while driving is such a waste of time and energy. I'm a polite driver but I still get cut off and deal with other jerky moves from fellow motorists but what are you going to do? I figure I have two choices: either get all pissed off' date=' tailgate the guy or cut him off in return or, instead just move on with my life. I choose the latter; it wasn't the first time I got cut off and it won't be the last and I'm a much happier camper if I blow it off.[/quote']

Good attitude. Some things just aren't worth the BS. I try to follow the same wisdom

Dave

Yeah, you gotta use all your windows and mirrors in traffic like that. You can usually see them coming 2 blocks back. Changing lanes quickly, then accelerating to pass you and get into the 'buffer' zone between you and the car ahead, which is, usually, 2 car lengths. Just goose it a bit and slam the door. In the big city, you have to drive like you are on the Indy 500 oval. Watch ten cars ahead and behind and dont' give the nimrods and inch of slack.

I try to keep 2 lengths ahead of me at a stop light until at least two cars are queued up behind me, then I roll forward to about a half length. That way if I get tagged in the rear, I'm less likely to tag the guy head of me, I have some roll-out room.

This is why I HATE driving in the big city and avoid it like the plague. Everything I want or need is right 'chere. No need to feather Daley's nest.

One time, I wouldn't let a guy into my lane because he was trying to cut in from the other lane so as not to wait as long as the rest of us. He flipped me off. Then...

naturally, we ended up at the next stop light. He got OUT of his car, WALKED around his car to mine, and spit a huge lugie all over my driver's side window. My only comfort in this whole situation is this: What kind of life must this guy lead in order to do something that ignorant and moronic?

In most places in North America it's a crime to abandon a vehicle while in an active roadway. That was one of those times you WISH a cop was sitting off to the side watching the whole thing unfold.

I had some punk who just got his drivers license try to pass me on the right hand side on the highway in his KIA, from about 1998 (This was last year). Sad he just looked so damn cool and fast with his huge aviators and popped collar trying to get his KIA up to speed [biggrin]

In most places in North America it's a crime to abandon a vehicle while in an active roadway. That was one of those times you WISH a cop was sitting off to the side watching the whole thing unfold.

I had some punk who just got his drivers license try to pass me on the right hand side on the highway in his KIA' date=' from about 1998 (This was last year). Sad he just looked so damn cool and fast with his huge aviators and popped collar trying to get his KIA up to speed [cursing

I memorized the license plate and found a pay phone (this was about 13 years ago; no cell phone). When they ran the plate, it came back to a 1979 Chevy Impala and was expired. The car it was on was a Toyota. So, I guess he got away with it. Living well is the best revenge, I guess! [confused]

Archived