Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Lucille?

Jazzrtc

Hi

I'm new here so please forgive any ignorance but just been checking out a Gibson Lucille on Ebay and suddenly became confused. While saying it was a Lucille (and having it on the headstock along with 'Gibson') I noticed it doesn't have a Varitone switch or the stereo jacks.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260617371846&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

Has there ever been a cheaper (BBKing standard?) guitar ever made?

Warning signs are ringing and want to verify before I make any mistakes...

Not sure about whether there were any lower end models, but my 2penneth.....

The pick guard looks too big, as well as colour. Looks more like a LP pickguard.

The tail piece is wrong.

Tuners should be gold Klusons not Grovers.

I thought Lucilles all had varitone and were stereo as well.

Not OHSC.

Not sure if it is just a reflection, but on one of the photos, it almost looks like one of the F holes has been filled in and the top refinished.

I'm no Lucille expert so hopefully someone else will chime in here too.

Might be worth a visit as it's not too far from you.

Chinese fake.

There you have it. The Modfather has spoken and if you haven't come across ksdaddy before, he is THE man on the Gibson Forums.

Also, the left to me by my uncle story and zero feedback score, also smell bad.

I can't imagine the f hole refinishing is that bad so I guess it's just the photo. The other photo does not show this up. I also thought it might have been an Epi with a Gibson headstock but all the pics of Epi's also have the different tail piece and varitone knob.

What is that pickguard all about?

You in the market for a Lucille then? (Not that I have one!)

Yeah' date=' I was wondering whether an F hole was filled in or it was the flash. The bridge looks completely different too...[/quote']

Just for a little additional info; the 'Lucille' model these days doesn't have any 'f'-holes on the body at all.

They have changed greatly in spec over the years - as, indeed, has the guitar BB himself chooses to play - so it's worth checking out the various models which have been offered for sale.

Most have ebony fingerboards, for example, and the fine-tune TP-6 tailpiece is on the recent examples. Peg-head inlays have changed several times, too.

As the old chestnut goes; Forewarned is Forearmed. There is a wealth of info on the web if you search for it.

Good luck hunting.

Thanks guys

The price didn't really hit any warning signs because I've seen a few up on ebay with no starting bid. However, thank you very much for verifying my doubts.

I had an Epiphone Lucille about 4 years ago (until it got stolen) and am just realising that I really miss it and wanted a proper Gibson (not too keen on the Epi headstock)

Actually, this Gobson fake spurred me to check out the history of the Lucille and I was surprised to see Lucille with silver hardware (the standard). I'm guessing that Gibson don't actually make these anymore but will keep my eyes out for one.

Again, thank you.

I noticed that the serial number seemed to be in white rather than just imprinted in the headstock as normal.

No Varitone, jack on the front of the guitar, not the side like the other Lucille's you see, no micro adjustment bridge. If this was a Lucille "standard" then it have chrome hardware, from what I have read. Also the standard was only produced up until 1985 which is contradicted by the serial number dating.

I have also asked for the serial number, 02005572, that should make it the 200th day of 2005 but since Gibson changed to a 9 digit number in July it seems another mistake.

The guy also has no more pictures to send, again suspicious.

I also see the "uncle" story as a way of pleading ignorance

Unfortunately I am the highest bidder at the moment but needless to say I won't be going through with the purchase, however this will then mean a black mark against me after building up very good feedback over the years.

Oh well you live and learn - but a least I won't be loosing my hard earned cash !

I noticed that the serial number seemed to be in white rather than just imprinted in the headstock as normal.

No Varitone' date=' jack on the front of the guitar, not the side like the other Lucille's you see, no micro adjustment bridge. If this was a Lucille "standard" then it have chrome hardware, from what I have read. Also the standard was only produced up until 1985 which is contradicted by the serial number dating.

I have also asked for the serial number, 02005572, that should make it the 200th day of 2005 but since Gibson changed to a 9 digit number in July it seems another mistake.

The guy also has no more pictures to send, again suspicious.

I also see the "uncle" story as a way of pleading ignorance

Unfortunately I am the highest bidder at the moment but needless to say I won't be going through with the purchase, however this will then mean a black mark against me after building up very good feedback over the years.

Oh well you live and learn - but a least I won't be loosing my hard earned cash ![/quote']

Bad luck Andy.

I suspect that is you take up the matter with ebay, you have any -ve feedback deleted. After all, you are in the right by not completing the transaction.

Archived