Gibson Brands Forums

Which model should I get?

rachelharrington

I am a professional musician and am on the market for a new (used) guitar. I'm a Gibson girl through and through, and I know I want another Gibson, but I'm having a heck of time finding solid information about the various models and the real differences between them.

I probably won't buy a brand new guitar, just because I am loathe to enter American Music or Best Buy or Guitar Center - feels like walking into a used car lot with sales people that are nice but aren't actually helpful, and I also don't trust them to take proper care of an instrument while in their custody. I sure wish Gibson made their guitars available to small, locally owned, reputable dealers.

Anyhow - here's what I want: 1 11/16 nut width, good access to 14 frets (without a cutaway though), and I want the shorter scale I think (24 odd inches). Probably want maple or mahogany; rosewood doesn't usually have the spark I want in fingerpicking. I also don't want a blonde; anything -burst will do. Vintage or similar appointments; at least nothing gold. And I use the Martin Thinline pickup so the saddle has got be able to accommodate that.

Right now, my daily driver in an old Epi Texan but I'm kinda thinking about getting something with a smaller body, although don't want to sacrifice low end for it. I confess, I've been playing my boyfriend's Taylor (barf) backpacker a lot lately and been really intrigued by the fingerpicking tone. Once you let the strings get good and dead, you could mistake for a small, vintage Gibby.

Anyhow - help me out - what models should I be looking at? Ideally under $3000 - nothing too precious - I tour a lot, lots of flights, and don't want to be unduly worried about her.

Thanks in advance!

Rachel

www.rachelharrington.net

and 11/16 nut- hard to come by on a Gibson- they are usually at tad wider- enough that some people notice, some don't. Standard Gibson 1 and 23/32 works fine for me but I prefer the bridge end at 2 and 1/8" like a D18- Gibson is more like 2 1/4"

fine if you like it.

J-185 would be great- according to what you want to do- keep the strong bass but looking for a smaller body. The J-185 isn't smaller, but the narrow waist makes it sit low on your knee and it plays smaller, sounds big. It is "short" scale- 24 3/4" 1 and 23/32 nut, sunburst usually although right now they only show the blond one on the webpage.

I have one, you should try one.

Hi Rachel,

It appears that there is a 5-star Gibson Acoustic dealer in Burlington, WA (not sure how close/far that is from you). Judging by the photos on their website, it looks like they stock a pretty decent selection of Gibson acoustics. I'd recommend that you pay a visit to this store so that you can try as many different models for yourself as possible.

Here is their website.

Hope this helps and good luck with the search.

All the best,

Guth

I'll put a vote in for the J-45 (TV). That said, i haven't played a J185 but i have a SJ-200 and the J45 stands up to it in the low-end department, the burst's on the J-45 TVs are dark and beautiful and it would also come in under your price. Overall it's a fantastic guitar.

And regardless of which guitar you end up with could look into putting either a narrower nut on it, or having a full-size one cut with the string spacing a little tighter. I don't know if the string spacing is the concern or the overall size of the neck as my suggestion wouldn't address the latter but that may be an option.

I've played a few different late '60s gibsons with narrow necks. The one i remember the most was a '68 SJ-200 with a narrow neck. I only remember it because it sounded so good i kept trying to convince myself that it was the right guitar for me even though my giant ape hands we hardly able to play it

Find yourself a nice LG2 from the late 40's thru early 50's. If the larger slope shoulder body isn't comfortable for you and you love Gibsons, the LG body is just what the doctor ordered. Good examples of these can be found within your price range.

How about a nice J-185? A little smaller than your Texan' date=' but not by too much. Comes in 'burst and used, will stay below your price point. Ce[/quote']

Two thumbs up on the J-185. Might just be the most underrated acoustic on the planet. Try one out before you buy something else. I might just father a child so I can give up my first-born for one. [cool]

Love your music, by the way. I grew up in the hill country of Appalachia, and you'd be warmly welcomed there anytime! [cool]

Rachel, if you want to pursue on the LG2 as an option, there are 2 listed on Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum's buy and sell page right now, one reissue, one vintage, both under 2k. Here's a clip to give you a ballpark idea of what they sound like. J

Archived