Gibson Brands Forums

Jotul.....

Murph

I've got 30+ acres of woods (free fuel) and a 100 plus year old 3 story house. Even if cap and tax doesn't get forced down our throats this year, I don't see electricity or natural gas getting cheaper.........

I'd prefer a fireplace but the idiot before me ripped both chimneys out of this house all the way to the ground meaning I'd have to have a very tall exterior brick/block/rock chimney built and it would be a huge project....

The Jotul would just require the steel chimney.

Thoughts?

Actually you'll probably get more heat from a steel or iron stove with a stovepipe. Even the old cook stoves can pretty well keep a small house going. Fireplaces aren't that efficient which is why old Ben Franklin came up with his metal stove in the first place. A well-designed double-walled stove pipe with a damper and a decent cap has a number of advantages.

Some stoves are built to handle pellets, cobs, pretty much everything except maybe coal that can run pretty hot. A lotta old houses around here went to either the wood stoves or to a hot water system with a wood or coal fired boiler.

m

I don't know what kind of heat you have now, Murph, but they have those wood furnaces that you add to your existing system. Like Milod mentioned.

A buddy of mine had a wood furnace that he added onto his existing system. I don't know if it was a hot water or hot air system, but he used it for at least fifteen years and it worked well.

I heated the house for a couple of years with a wood stove. There is always a little bit of a smoke/soot issue with a stove. After a few years, your house will be a little sooty. I remember wondering if the soot was bothering the kids.

Good luck with your project. You might be better off not having to use an old chimney anyway.

It's not about getting more heat' date=' it's about the magic of sitting before a fireplace in the middle of winter. I say go for it, I have one even though we don't use it that much.[/quote']

Actually, in the middle of winter it's All About Heat. Nothing works better than a good Wood Burning Stove. Inserts, Swiss Fireplaces, Traditional Hearths, and all that just let the heat go out of the chimney.

A good stove (we call them Earth Stoves in this part of the country :P ) allows you to set the flu and draft so you get maximum BTU output from every log. Saves money and is still Romantic Enough for a Bear Skin Rug.

Im not saying he can't have a woodburning stove also, I have a woodburning stove too. It's just a magical experience to have a fireplace in the middle of winter. Im not saying he should heat his house his way, I was trying to say how nice they are and that it's a good idea.

Archived