Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage 1976 Explorer!!!

NeoConMan

Neo' date=' how does this thing play for you? I played it at Patruno's and it was awesome![/quote']

It's very cool in my opinion!

I like the slimmer neck, not too far from my preferred 60 Slim Taper on all my other Gibsons.

Pickups may be DiMarzio Dual Sounds for all I know.

I know jack about aftermarket pickups.

Mike said he figured it was a Super Distortion in the bridge, with a coil tap.

He was inside the guitar, so I don't know what he knows or simply assumes.

Nice guitar !

Who cares if it is not " original "...aren't guitars all individuals anyway ?

It's 34 years old, those years and the changes along the way are what made it what it is Today. The assembly line was just the beginning of the journey.

It's hard to tell from that picture but it looks like a DiMarzio. If your guy said it looks like a Super Distortion with coil taps I'm betting that it's a Dual Sound. From what I understand, the Dual Sound is essentially a 4-conductor Super Distortion made for coil tapping. I've never tried one but apparently, untapped, it's identical to the Super Distortion. I've heard only good things about them.

If you ask me, the Super D is a sweet pickup. :( Especially an old one.

I bet that thing rocks through your Marshall. Total 70s rock machine.

Yeah I didn't actually care if it was original or not. I was just curious as, like I tried to imply, I wasn't collecting guitars back then and I just like to know things. ;) Just nosey, I guess.

It does look like a killer guitar (C'mon, it's an explorer, you CAN'T go wrong).

And Neo, from what I've seen here and there you have a fantastic collection.

...aren't guitars all individuals anyway ?

It's 34 years old' date=' those years and the changes along the way are what made it what it is Today. The assembly line was just the beginning of the journey.[/quote']

+1. Dang straight.

And (even though I may be guilty of asking the "whazzit" question myself) the brand of pickups should only really matter to the owner and then only when the tone goes bad and needs fixing. ;-)

And Neo' date=' from what I've seen here and there you have a fantastic collection.[/quote']

Thankee Hydra, that's sharp Explorer you got there yerself.

Flying V's and Explorers were always on my short list, they just never made the cut.

I can think of a dozen examples I'd love to own...

Archived