Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage 1976 Explorer!!!

NeoConMan

Got myself a vintage 1976 Explorer, pretty clean with some minor mods like tuners, pickups and a coil tap.

Scored this little jewel through some gear swapping.

Sadly, I was forced to part with my old Peavey T-40 and T-60, as well as my Guild Starfire III.

I think I'll be okay....

Got me a "road-worn" Fender Quad Reverb as well - 4x12 combo with a hunnerd watts.

Pics to come.

Aw man, no pics yet?

There was a '76 Explorer at the local GC for a while, nice guitar, frankly I did not think it felt all that different from my 2008, obviously pickups and tuners are quite different.

Here's a pic.

4744096157_5e0e055f64.jpg

Korina would be cool, but I have no idea what the wood is for sure.

I'm leaning toward Mahogany.

I don't know if I could tell Korina from Mahogany to be honest.

The Korina guitars I've looked at over the years have tighter, more uniform grain.

This one is not really that way, 3 body pieces have different figuring - grain doesn't match that well.

Thanks!

It's not stock at all.

Not butchered, but it's had the finish touched up and minor mods like tuners, pickups and a coil tap.

Never gonna be worth HUGE money, but it's a cool player with a nice slim neck - almost as slim as a '60 neck.

Coil tap makes it very versatile, single coil sound is pretty cool - if nothing like a Strat or Tele.

The humbucker is pretty mean, so it would work for most any hard rock and a lot of metal.

Cool, I just wasn't sure what they were using for pups in the 70's and I thought the white coils looked different. My older guitars are pretty cheap ones (still have my first "real" guitar). Wasn't until I landed a decent job myself that I could buy nice ones (my family wasn't rich) but I'm kind of glad, I wouldn't have appreciated them enough if they were just given to me as a teenager.

Right on.

After nearly fifty guitars (I lost count), I can proudly say I paid CASH for every single one of them.

Only way to go in my book.

I can't remember who had a pic on here of a guitar with the old "Gibson" embossed pickup covers.

A set of those would be cooler 'n hell!

I doubt I'll swap them out, I can't see paying a bunch of money for "correct" pickups.

The guitar works great as it is...

Yeah, I just haven't taken the time to call 'em.

Spotty on guitars that old, sometimes you hit paydirt and sometimes they tell ya "Yep, it's a Gibson..."

It's a Double Zero serial number, 1976 for sure.

And yes, I'm thinking Mahogany.

Korina is African mahogany. That guitar is not Korina. Very nice axe though.

I have the embossed covers on my 2005 Explorer, they are not cheap. I sold the extra set I had a few months ago, they went for $200.

05exp02.jpg

I can tell you forumites that this is a smoking Explorer, played it myself! Didn't buy it because I picked up a vintage 82 "supposed" Korina Explorer earlier this year. Mine has a fat neck. Neo, how does this thing play for you? I played it at Patruno's and it was awesome! Congrats on the amp as well....

Archived