Gibson Brands Forums

White SG Special??

jfb_72

Hello everyone,

I have aquired what I believe to be an SG special or a special faded. The confusion lies in the fact that the Guitar is white.

The finish is very basic which leads me torwards the special faded but I can't find any information anywhere on white versions of these 2 models.

The serial number search states the guitar was made in Nashville in April 2009 but no extra info. Has anyone seen one of these before or could point me in the right direction on finding more info.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hello JFB.........It might be a dealer exclusive version of the SG Special. If you would either email the serial number and any questions you have to service@gibson.com, we would be glad to research it for you. You can also call Gibson Customer Service at 1-800-444-2766 (24-7). Thanks.

It also has a black fretboard which I assume is ebony. I bought it on Ebay and started to panic that it might be a fake. The tuning heads are identical to my 17 year old Les Paul Standard, the truss rod cover has just the 2 screws and all the electronics are marked with Gibson USA.

Is there anything else I can look for in the meantime?

Cheers!

!Bt8)QS!EGk~$(KGrHqYOKkQEvOw)j(vHBL-RUY4P+Q~~_12.JPG!Bt8)Vq!CWk~$(KGrHqYOKkQEvOw)j(vHBL-RU2omUQ~~_12.JPG

There is absolutely nothing about that guitar that would lead me to believe it is fake.

I've never seen a SG Special with that finish. It looks very cool! I can't really tell whether the finish is glossy or satin from those pictures but it looks like a white faded special with an ebony board. Pretty cool!

The stamping on the back of the headstock all looks right.

If I saw one of these for sale at a reasonable price I would probably buy it.

How do you like it?

Thanks for all the positive comments!

I have asked the previous owner about modifications but haven't heard anything yet.

It's a kind of satin finish but not smooth at all. If it was modified it must have been done by a professional.

I like it and it plays pretty well. Still waiting to hear back from Gibson but will post all the info fake or no fake!

Cheers again!

• 2 weeks later...

jfb...if you search my threads you will see I have the same guitar ( I think)...cant remember the nameof the member but he summed it up for me really well, if there is anything you still don't know...of course they could be different anyway! Whats up with the guy who is so positive this is fake, whats your basis for that comment??

Thanks for that backyardburial, had a look at your thread and it sounds exactly the same. I sent pics etc to Gibson customer service and they eventually confirmed that it was a dealer edition. Regardless of Gibson's confirmation it plays too well to be a fake, I'm actually preferring it to my Les Paul Standard and PRS CE22 which as you probably know are twice the cost! There is just something raw about it and no matter how hard you play it stays in tune!

Archived