Gibson Brands Forums

This I HAVE to SHARE! Enjoy the guitars ...

DeVeeWee

Great vid, thanks for posting.

One of the archtop design questions that come up frequently is the differences between a laminated top and a carved top, or a maple top and a spruce top. Of course, the question is usually asked to find out why an ES-175 MSRP's for $5000, and an L-5 MSRP's for $14,000, but that's a long technical design/build answer. The only thing most people are going to really understand is the differences in sound.

This video pretty much says it all, listen to the sonic differences between the ES-175 (heat-pressed laminated maple top) and the LeGrande (handcarved spruce top), Of course there are other variables working here such as the 175 has top mounted humbuckers and the LeGrande has a pickguard mounted floating pickup, and we don't know the amps or settings.... but in a nutshell this a very good representation of the difference in sound.

Great vid' date=' thanks for posting.

One of the archtop design questions that come up frequently is the differences between a laminated top and a carved top, or a maple top and a spruce top. Of course, the question is usually asked to find out why an ES-175 MSRP's for $5000, and an L-5 MSRP's for $14,000, but that's a long technical design/build answer. The only thing most people are going to really understand is the differences in sound.

This video pretty much says it all, listen to the sonic differences between the ES-175 (heat-pressed laminated maple top) and the LeGrande (handcarved spruce top), Of course there are other variables working here such as the 175 has top mounted humbuckers and the LeGrande has a pickguard mounted floating pickup, and we don't know the amps or settings.... but in a nutshell this a very good representation of the difference in sound.

[/quote']

Spot on Larry, thanks for these insights. I know for Philip Catherine there are a couple of variables that play as well (he uses a pedalboard) but being an ES-175 player myself, I confirm that this ES-175 sound is what you can expect from the laminated top.

Archived