Gibson Brands Forums

Johnny Winter

Shnate McDuanus

Wow!

I saw him tonight in Manhattan. Boy, time may have been a little hard on his body, but can he ever play! Sixty-six years old and still very awesome.

What got to me especially was how good his singing still was--one of the things I always loved about him was his gruff, growling, shouting singing voice, and he was in good form tonight (a little slow at first, but he eased into the gig nicely.) His playing, of course, was a little less than what I had come to expect, but hey, he was still way better than I think I'll ever be. His hands are pretty nimble, given what he's been through, and his phrasing is as strong as it's ever been.

The weak point of the night was the venue's sound system. Everything sounded very cluttered and muddy, and I'm pretty sure it's the venue's problem because I've had the same experiences with other acts at the same place. Oh, and of course, the place was packed. Johnny draws quite a crowd.

There was also a pretty good opening act: Andy Aledort and the Groove Kings, they were called, and they also put on one hell of a show. The guitarist was having some problems with his gear, but he was a solid player and the rest of the band was great. I highly recommend them.

Well, that's about all I have to say. Johnny was good. [cool]

When I first started playing, a guy who was a big Winter fan turned me on to him. I turned into a big fan also. I've seen him twice and was awed both times. (even when he played that awful headstockless thing) I like the relationship with him, his brother, Derringer, and Montrose. All playing on each others albums. Seeing him play Highway 61 was one of the most memorable live moments I have.

When I first started playing' date=' a guy who was a big Winter fan turned me on to him. I turned into a big fan also. I've seen him twice and was awed both times. ([b']even when he played that awful headstockless thing[/b]) I like the relationship with him, his brother, Derringer, and Montrose. All playing on each others albums. Seeing him play Highway 61 was one of the most memorable live moments I have.

Oh, right, that reminded me of another point I was going to make.

At the beginning of the set he played his Erlewine Lazer, that silly headless travel guitar. It sounded alright. For the encore (with three songs, including "Highway 61 Revisited") he brought out his Firebird. I didn't think I'd be able to say it with firm conviction, but it's true: the Firebird sounded much better. It cut through the mix much better, sounded smoother, and was just generally more pleasing to listen to. The Lazer sounded thin, shrill and cheesy compared to the Firebird. I ain't just saying that, and I'm not the only one who noticed, either.

I love Johnny Winter, the guy certainly can play the HELL outta some blues !! NO doubt !! I know he's had some health issues and I recall seeing a few videos on youtube that were actually pretty sad, seemed as though he lost his fire, no fault of his but because of his health, glad he's still out there and seemingly doing well,, he's one of the greats no doubt !!!

Archived