Gibson Brands Forums

Taking a guitar on a airplane?

dem00n

Ive been there three times, ive done alot of things there already.

We have to go the same place as always since we have "family" there.

Also alot of the shops and places closed since its hell over there.

Most of the beaches in Greece are topless and full of beautiful young women why are you worried about a guitar?

1. Take guitar to beach.

2. Find women.

3. Play guitar in front of women.

4. ?????

5. PROFIT!!!

On a more serious note' date=' a travel guitar might not be a bad idea. Erlewine Lazers are nice. I saw Johnny Winter play one last night and it sounded [i']good[/i].

heres what you do....

you call the airline you are taking, and you pose as a manager from a rather large agency representing a rather large world renowned artist who is doing a special show in greece and will need carrying on his special one of a kind guitar that may require special treatment because said artist will not allow this guitar to be out of his sight, be very polite and if the airline thinks they are taking care of some big star they may be likely to make special accomadations for you! hahaha

no but i would just call the airline and see what they can offer for traveling musicians!

Just came back from Germany last Sunday and took my Strat. Took my LP 2 months ago to Europe. My experience:

Use a gig bag or form fitting hard shell and carry it on.

I was never refused at any time and each trip was 3 legs including a regional jet (CRJ700)

Regional: gate checked but I pleaded with the people that took it to be careful. No problems at all in fact they were really nice and took special care.

Large jet: No problems. Overhead.

Box shaped hard shell: I tried to take my strat back in February and the airlines would not let me carry on. The loading person physically threw it onto the conveyor belt. My heart stopped momentarily. Luckily, nothing happened.

Just came back from Germany last Sunday and took my Strat. Took my LP 2 months ago to Europe. My experience:

Use a gig bag or form fitting hard shell and carry it on.

I was never refused at any time and each trip was 3 legs including a regional jet (CRJ700)

Regional: gate checked but I pleaded with the people that took it to be careful. No problems at all in fact they were really nice and took special care.

Large jet: No problems. Overhead.

Box shaped hard shell: I tried to take my strat back in February and the airlines would not let me carry on. The loading person physically threw it onto the conveyor belt. My heart stopped momentarily. Luckily' date=' nothing happened.[/quote']

Yeah thats why im taking a nice padded gig bag.

Yeah thats why im taking a nice padded gig bag.

Should be no problems. I was also warned that I should loosen all of the strings. I read on Carvin's web site that you shouldn't do that because it might screw up the intonation. I left the strings tuned as normal. Again no problems.

The only problem I encountered was back pain from lugging it around waiting for the next flight. Traveling with it was actually fun, the European TSA people all wanted me to take it out so they could see it. Finally, a momentary star.

Archived