Gibson Brands Forums

demo of my amp..then it dies

saturn

I was trying to capture some of the tones from my new Carvin Legacy and also catch an example of this phantom sound that's been coming out of it. It sounds like a strong wind. I called Carvin and they said it's probablt pre amp tubes and sent me a few extras to swap out.

Well the sound was still there and then the amp just died. What a shame because I was really starting to dig the tones the more I played it. I guess I will have to ship it back to Carvin now [blink]

At least I have the proof on video. Feel free to fast forward to the end. I was just noodling around trying to play stuff to accent certain tones. I'll eventually edit it down.

th_CarvinLegacyVL212demo003.jpg

The last preamp tube before the power tubes should be the phase inverter.

I would change ALL of them just for kicks before I shipped it back.

There might be a fuse somewhere too.

Carvin has a Forum......

:-s

In your other thread about choosing an amp I had mentioned the same thing that happened to my V3 head.

It had a bad power tube in it. Most likely damaged in shipping.

You should try reseating all of the tubes pre and power to see if it fixes it. If not, Carvin will send you an RMA ans schedule the amp to be returned then send you another. That's what they did for me.

Odd as it would have been cheaper to ship me replacement tubes but whatever.

Edit: I just watched your video, that's the same sound my V3 amp made - it's loose or bad tubes. Call Carvin and they'll square you away. I wish they shipped the tubes seperate, it would stop this kind of stuff. Then again, I guess some folks don't know how to install tubes.

In your other thread about choosing an amp I had mentioned the same thing that happened to my V3 head.

It had a bad power tube in it. Most likely damaged in shipping.

You should try reseating all of the tubes pre and power to see if it fixes it. If not' date=' Carvin will send you an RMA ans schedule the amp to be returned then send you another. That's what they did for me.

Odd as it would have been cheaper to ship me replacement tubes but whatever.

Edit: I just watched your video, that's the same sound my V3 amp made - it's loose or bad tubes. Call Carvin and they'll square you away. I wish they shipped the tubes seperate, it would stop this kind of stuff. Then again, I guess some folks don't know how to install tubes.[/quote']

I remember your earlier post about Carvin not just sending tubes. They did send me 3 12AX7s and I had other from my B52 also. I swapped out V1,2,3 and 5. Apparently V4 is the Reverb, so I didn't bother with that. I also notice that there's a power tube rattling. But it's an outer tube and when the amp is set for 50 watts, it only uses the two inside tubes. The "noise" would occur whether the amp was on 50 or 100 watts and Clean or Lead channels. :-k I guess if it's a bad power tube it would be one of the "inner" EL34s

Another thing I noticed today before it died was that I hooked my Boss ME50 into the effets Loop, but if I tried using the Lead Channel like this, there was about a 1 second delay from when I would play a note or chord until the sound came out. I didn't think much of it, because i don't use the Loop much anyway. I went back to running the ME50 straight into the input and it was fine. When I started to record, I just wanted pure amp and nothing else.

I also notice that there's a power tube rattling. But it's an outer tube and when the amp is set for 50 watts' date=' it only uses the two inside tubes. [/quote']

The tube could still rattle, even if it's not being used.

My Boogie has a GZ34 rectifier tube, and a year or so ago it started to rattle, but only on an "A" note. Started out barely noticable, and got worse.

Didn't matter what octave.

Or what volume.

OR IF THE SOB WAS EVEN TURNED OFF AND SOMEBODY ELSE PLAYED AN A NOTE!

It nearly drove me nuts before I found it.

Good luck, the Legacy is a great amp.

Archived