Gibson Brands Forums

1968 SG

Steve E.

[biggrin] I just picked up a what I believe is a 1968 SG with black pickups and a vibrato tail that looks like a bigsby but says Gibson on it . Serial number is 396816 , I will post pictures asap , it is red . Condition is good + no weather checking has a few dings in the back . Any ideas on what it is worth ? Thanks Steve E.

Nothing, in Guitar Dater Project (Gibson), comes up, with that serial number.

And...Vintage Guitar Collector site, indicates that 390998 is '67, and 400001 is '66.

Since your number falls inbetween those, it could be either '66 or '67...Maybe?!

Most '68 serial numbers, are in the 406667, and/or between 409670 and 999999,

depending on model.

Photo's would definitely help! Front, back, beveling, neck joint, head stock, etc. Also, is the

serial number inked, or stamped into the back of the headstock, and is there a "made in USA,"

either across the top of the back of the headstock, or stacked (words) under the serial

number? Certain characteristics might give more of an indication, as to a more accurate,

or narrowed time frame, in which it was made. It sounds like a "Special," with 2 P-90 (black)

soap-bar pickups, and a short vibrola? Not sure, without photos. They did have some, that

had the solid-body Bigsby, on them, as well. Is the fingerboard bound or unbound? And,

does it have a larger "Batwing" pickguard, or a smaller 1/2 sized, pickguard. Does the

beveling, on the bottom upper bout, in the horn area, between the tip of the horn, and

the neck...is that beveling deep enough, that it touches or almost touches the pickguard?

OR, is there 1/4 to 1/2 inch of space, between the pickguard edge where the bevel stops?

(later '68's, ON...had less deep beveling in between horns and neck. Very early '68, were some-

what deeper, and 61-66 (especially) were wider and deeper beveled...more like the current

"VOS" re-issues.

Sorry, that's all I can do for you, at this point.

CB

I got this from a friend that I have known for quite a few years(30) and he bought it used in 1970. I couldn't get the serial number up at all . The made in the USA is stacked . I am dying to get pictures up but that won't happen until tomorrow . It has the P90 pickups for sure , I guess I would like to know how a guitar bought in 1970 and that serial number doesn't come up anywhere I looked , never mind . Oh yeah all the numbers and Made in the USA are stamped .Thanks for your input CB .

There are 6 digits but no A ' date=' so maybe it is a 1970 ?[/quote']

Based on your explanation, of when it was purchased, I'd say it was a '69 or early

'70....yet, the serial number, itself, indicates an ealier year. So...???

Should be shallower beveling, from '68 on. So, that might help, too? What kind of

neck joint, does it have...a longer heal, or attached right at the body, with a short

heal? And, does the neck have binding, or is it plain (w/o binding)?

CB

i took the websites advice and clicked what I thoutght would apply on the vintage(made in usa, stamped headstock) panel try that then let me know. Blackie give me time bro i'll fix it lol.just did it twice with the same results, maybe its not me?:-k whatever the case i dont gaf. but if his friend bought it in 70 then i dunno.

i took the websites advice and clicked what I thoutght would apply on the vintage(made in usa' date=' stamped headstock) panel try that then let me know. Blackie give me time bro i'll fix it lol.just did it twice with the same results, maybe its not me?[biggrin] whatever the case i dont gaf. but if his friend bought it in 70 then i dunno.[/quote']

Yeah, now I get what you did, thanks....but, IF his friend is right,

as to when it was purchased, "used"....who knows?

CB

Yes I am more confused than ever as Theswinzey said It comes up 73/74 and I apologize about that . I will talk to him this weekend and see how good his memory is ! Anyway from the tuners it has to be at least 1970 but I am not an expert .

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u347/Chance_6951/SG%20Guitar/DSCF0007.jpg

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u347/Chance_6951/SG%20Guitar/DSCF0007.jpg

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u347/Chance_6951/SG%20Guitar/DSCF0003.jpg

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u347/Chance_6951/SG%20Guitar/DSCF0004.jpg

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u347/Chance_6951/SG%20Guitar/DSCF0005.jpg

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u347/Chance_6951/SG%20Guitar/DSCF0006.jpg

I guess I will leave this up to the experts !

The "Made In U.S.A." stamp was started sometime in 1970.

Also in early '70 the "volute" appeared for the first time.

The published records of Gibson serial numbers specifically EXCLUDE the numbers from 390998 to 400001 from all 60's years.

The 300,000 numbers reappear during the '74 to early '75 era.

Of course with Gibson (especially during the Norlin years) there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule.

Besides detailed photos, potentiometer codes would also be very helpful.

Irregardless of the exact year, any SG (of the same model) built during the era in question will have roughly the same value. There were no "vintage" years or models during this era.

Yep, '70's (Norlin) era, for sure! Block inlays, no binding on the neck, valute

(but a nice one, not as obnoxious as some, I've seen), and that wide bridge,

Black "Mini-humbuckers," too...(those were introduced in '72, and used until

'78) and "Gibson" Bigsby like vibrato. So, Guitar Dater may be correct, in this

case? Looks to be in great shape, for it's age, and many Norlin Era Gibson's

are still quite good guitars....despite their reputation, at the time.

"Value" according to Vintage Guitar Price Guide (2008, the latest one "I" have)...

for '68 to '71, $2,500, to $2,800 Cherry colored finish, and '72 to '75, between

$1,350 and $1,600 Cherry or Walnut Finish. Of course, those are just guidelines...

what it's really worth, is whatever it means to you, or what you can GET for it. ;>)

CB

The potentiometers were made by CTS (137), in 1974 (74), during the 37th week (37) of that year. Assuming they are the original pots, the guitar could not have been made prior to that date.

So as I stated in my first post on this subject from only the serial number and "Made In U.S.A. stamp, late '74 or early '75 it is. You can reasonable, and accurately, call it a 1974 if you like.

The "Made In U.S.A." stamp was started sometime in 1970.

Also in early '70 the "volute" appeared for the first time.

Of course with Gibson (especially during the Norlin years) there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule.

If you can help

My 72 SG250-W has no volute and the neck is a 2 piece[confused] ... Of all the SG 100-200 and 250's I have seen photos of, mine is the only one without a volute

The 2 stamped on the back of the headstock suggests it was a factory second, but I wouldn't let that worry you. I've seen lots of factory seconds that it is impossible to tell WHY they were stamped as seconds.

Its a factory second alright an it has a 3-piece mahony neck, typical 70's SG.

Its an SG Special from 1974/1975.

I'm sure that the Bigsby original belongs to this SG.

The SG Special came on the market as a low priced Gibson. they came instead of the SG I and II.

The Bigsby and bridge on your SG were the bridges en Bigsby´s Gibson used in those years, they are original on your guitar, so they belong on your guitar.

You don´t see SG Specials often with a Bigsby.

The pick-ups are the Gibson tiny humbuckers, they are not P90´s, but real humbuckers (the P90 is a single coil pick-up and not a humbucking pick-up)

Archived