Gibson Brands Forums

Amps for Acoustic

lechus

Dear Friends,

I am looking for a good amp for my SWD 2009. My limit price is 800 $. I know that it is not too much :-k

Could you recommend some of them?

Is the Marshall AS50 a good amp for acoustic?

Thank you.

Dear Friends' date='

I am looking for a good amp for my SWD 2009. My limit price is 800 $. I know that it is not too much :D

Thank you.[/quote']

I have the Marshall AS-50D. I can't say enough about this amp! The 50 suits my needs just fine. If your price is $800.00 bucks, I would recommend going after the AS-100D. The 50 is great for an audience of about 30-50 people (small coffee house or bar), the 100 would give you a little more capability. Depends on your audience. All in all, the Marshall is a great amp. I highly recommend them. But to be impartial, try playing your guitar through several different makes and models. Let someone else play your guitar and you listen to it. Then make your decision. Your ears are the ones that count!!!

+1

I've just got rid of my AS100D to finance a Vox Night Train but it's a superb acoustic amp. Bit on the heavy side for moving around but LOTS of options, four channels, notch filters for feedback, XLR inputs, DI for output to PA's, make it a very worthwhile purchase.

When I perform with my acoustic it is run directly into the PA, but I do run it through an amp now and then at jams, rehearsals and for practice. From what I've seen and heard it is very important to get an amp specifically designed for acoustic guitar, they are "voiced" for that application. Running an acoustic through a Fender Twin generally sounds like crap.

Another feature of many acoustic amps is a microphone channel, very handy for the one-man-show, or even just jamming or practicing.

I have played through many acoustic amps. My current is a Genz Benz Shenandoah 200 Stereo Deluxe. It is a 200 watt stereo acoustic amp with two 12" speakers and two tweeters which can be turned on, off or there is also a setting to cut the tweeter frequencies which is useful with my Taylor for example. It basically is a small 75lb PA system as you can hook up a variety of guitar and mic lines into it. I love it and have kept it because it is so versitile.

I have also really loved the UltraSound line of acoustic amps. Both of these options give you true acoustic sound of your guitar without coloring the tone. Of course the onboard reverb/chorus and other options will alter the sound to your taste as well if that is your thing. I personally love just hearing my acoustic tone with no effects.

Roland also make good acoustic amps, however they seem to have a more colored tone than the above options. Fishman loudbox is another I have heard good things about but have not tried. I haven't tried the Marshall amps that have been mentioned either. I have played through the Fender and Crate Acoustic amps and was not impressed.

Food for thought......

Dear Friends' date='

I am looking for a good amp for my SWD 2009. My limit price is 800 $. I know that it is not too much [biggrin

Thank you.

I have one too. It's a very very good value amp. Produces a good clean sound and has some good features - reverb, chorus, notch filter.

I'd have thought you could buy 4 of these for your $800!

Having said all of that, I'm about to sell mine. My playing partner has a Bose L1 Compact and when we play together and I became very aware of the difference. The Marshall has a clinical and rather cold sound to it compared to the Bose I'm going to get a Bose or the Fishman Saloamp. Not decided yet.

Back to the Marshall. If you are playing and singing solo it will do a spendid job for you. It's loud enough for up to about 100 people depending on the venue, location etc. Light and well made.

The AS100 will be better for larger venues but with your budget you should have plenty of choice - see other posts.

Try as many as you are able although I bought mine blind and have been very pleased with it.

Hi H. How goes it?

Thank you very much for all your opinions.

I think that it will be enough with the marshall one and I will safe some money. Nobody knows what can happend tomorrow with the economy. [biggrin]

I was afraid because I didn't know if the marshall one was a good amp for his price and I would prefer spend more money but be sure with a good amp.

Thank you.

Thank you very much for all your opinions.

I think that it will be enough with the marshall one and I will safe some money. Nobody knows what can happend tomorrow with the economy. :-k

I was afraid because I didn't know if the marshall one was a good amp for his price and I would prefer spend more money but be sure with a good amp.

Thank you.

Good plan. If you are in the UK at all soon' date=' mine is for sale? [biggrin

Archived