Gibson Brands Forums

Effects...heaven or hell????

Vinny

I agree with retro, that too often people use pedals instead of actually learning the skill. I don't use that many pedals, I can go straight into the amp, but I have some pedals I like. I use my Swollen Pickle to get a monstrous rhythm chord, I use my OD as a boost, I use my MXR Distortion + for solos. I kind of want to get a phaser, tremolo and a delay, but I'm not into the crazy effects.

Too often people worry about how to achieve (insert guitar player name here)'s tone, when most of the time it was just a dimed amp with a guitar plugged in and rocked it. I think pedals have their use, but I think that they get used too much.

Use whatever works.

Frankly, these types of threads piss me off. They're almost always started by some ****** who doesn't use any pedals or, more likely, is going through a phase where he yanked all his pedals out and now wants to come off as some elite purist. The replies always consist of a few players who go on about plugging straight into the amp and blah, blah, blah and the replies from the players who use pedals are almost apologetic and make certain that everyone knows that they use only a few pedals and they don't rely on pedals. I say "B.S." to all of it.

Guitar players like to think of themselves as forward, progressive people but they're really the most stodgy, stuck-in-a-rut group of people I know of. There are lots of great tools available out there and make use of them if you want to, if you're not into effects, then don't. I love *MY* tone and use guitars, effects and amps the way *I* want to use them and don't really give a crap what anyone else does.

Use whatever works.

Frankly' date=' these types of threads piss me off. They're almost always started by some ****** who doesn't use any pedals or, more likely, is going through a phase where he yanked all his pedals out and now wants to come off as some elite purist. The replies always consist of a few players who go on about plugging straight into the amp and blah, blah, blah and the replies from the players who use pedals are almost apologetic and make certain that everyone knows that they use only a few pedals and they don't rely on pedals. I say "B.S." to all of it.

Guitar players like to think of themselves as forward, progressive people but they're really the most stodgy, stuck-in-a-rut group of people I know of. There are lots of great tools available out there and make use of them if you want to, if you're not into effects, then don't. I love *MY* tone and use guitars, effects and amps the way *I* want to use them and don't really give a crap what anyone else does.[/quote']

I agree, use what works. I hate it when some bands *cough cough* Coheed and Cambria *cough cough* use an overprocessed signal and you can't even hear them live, it just gets lost in the mix.

I like pedals, I think they further sounds, but can sometimes hold you back

I like pedals' date=' I think they further sounds, but can sometimes hold you back[/quote']

Not if you know what you're doing and how to use them.

Some notable players who use(d) effects:

Jimmy Page

Jimmy Hendrix

Muddy Waters

Joe Perry

Brad Whitford

Jerry Cantrell

Eric Clapton

Tony Iommi

Joe Walsh

Rick Nielson

John Fogerty

Dimebag Darrell

Steve Vai

Joe Satriani

**** Dale

Elliott Randall

Keith Richards

Billy Gibbons

Slash

Jeff Beck

Link Wray

Randy Rhoads

Prince

Carlos Santana

George Harrison

Robby Krieger

Pete Townshend

Gary Moore

Frank Marino

Edward Van Halen

Use whatever works.

Frankly' date=' these types of threads piss me off. They're almost always started by some ****** who doesn't use any pedals or, more likely, is going through a phase where he yanked all his pedals out and now wants to come off as some elite purist. The replies always consist of a few players who go on about plugging straight into the amp and blah, blah, blah and the replies from the players who use pedals are almost apologetic and make certain that everyone knows that they use only a few pedals and they don't rely on pedals. I say "B.S." to all of it.

Guitar players like to think of themselves as forward, progressive people but they're really the most stodgy, stuck-in-a-rut group of people I know of. There are lots of great tools available out there and make use of them if you want to, if you're not into effects, then don't. I love *MY* tone and use guitars, effects and amps the way *I* want to use them and don't really give a crap what anyone else does.[/quote']

WTF!

Did you wake up in a bad mood??????

If it pisses you of, why do you answer?

It was not meant to offend ANYbody! It was just a reflection!

As I said, I use pedals, but I wanted to say there are nowadays toooooo much bullshit pedals also!!! You can play piano or sax with your guitar now!

I use some, of course, and I know all the players who uses!! But they use very little of them! Page was a wha, an Echoplex, and that was it almost in the 70's!

So this is a reflection-thread, a phylosophical one....just innocent thoughts, sharing ideas.

So, whitout ANY appologies, your answer is OVERrated!

A nice simple feedback was already enough, you don't have to offend other people! Really?!

Use whatever works.

I could not agree more.

WTF!

Did you wake up in a bad mood??????

If it pisses you of' date=' why do you answer?

It was not meant to offend ANYbody! It was just a reflection!

As I said, I use pedals, but I wanted to say there are nowadays toooooo much bull**** pedals also!!! You can play piano or sax with your guitar now!

I use some, of course, and I know all the players who uses!! But they use very little of them! Page was a wha, an Echoplex, and that was it almost in the 70's!

So this is a reflection-thread, a phylosophical one....just innocent thoughts, sharing ideas.

So, whitout ANY appologies, your answer is OVERrated!

A nice simple feedback was already enough, you don't have to offend other people! Really?!

[/quote']

My apologies. I wasn't writing directly of you in particular, but I can see why you would have read it that way.

And, yes, I did wake up in a rotten mood this morning but that was no excuse for coming here and behaving like an asshole.

Page used wah, echoplex, fuzz, phaser and an octave divider and probably some other stuff, although not all with the same setup.

Archived