Gibson Brands Forums

Is follow-up on its way? What about your guitar legacy?

DeVeeWee

I have seen a nice picture of pippy's daughter on the mandolin, ... and here's my eldest son, holding his first 3/4 Spanish guitar and just finished 2nd year of music school! What about your legacies? (dem00n, don't say you're going to suprise us ;) )

DSC01467.jpg

All of my kids dabble in music in some way or another.

My oldest has released three CDs of rap/hip hop music some of which I've played on. (check out my sig)

My daughter plays acoustic guitar.

And my youngest son is a very good rhythm guitarist and one heck of a drummer. Here's a pic of a show we did together.

Its pretty awesome to jam with your kid!

normal_DSC_1251.jpg

I have five grandsons. I have already put five Ruger MK II pistols in the safe for them so that they can learn to shoot and learn about the Bill of Rights.

I am collecting some pretty nice guitars and will have at least one for each of them later on. 14 year old is playing now. I gave him a Fender frontman amp for Christmas, his 10 year old brother an epi SG starter pack, and the 6 year old brother got a snare drum. I had previously given the 10 & 6 their own Harmonica and instruction CD.

I think my daughter is more interested in singing but she's only 6. She just needs to get over being too shy to sing in front of people. My son, who will be 4 in December, is much more interested in guitar than my daughter ever was. For my daughter's 4th birthday, we bought her one of those 3/4 First Act acoustics. She lost interest but my son plays with it more than she does. He does a better job mimicing my hand movements.

Nice stories!

It's good to feel that an appreciation for music - of whatever type - can be passed down through the bloodline. It certainly happened with me. My father was passionate about music and I grew up in a house with no T.V. but a couple of thousand 'Long Play' records which were always being played. All the time.

Possibly as a consequence of that we almost never have the T.V. on in our house either. Chloe gets 20 mins of Childrens Storytime on T.V. before we all sit down for dinner and the rest of the time it's music.

...I have seen a nice picture of pippy's daughter on the mandolin...

LOL!

I feel it's my duty to point out that whilst it's true Chloe is holding the mandolin in my avatar she can't actually play any tunes on it yet - well' date=' unless strumming an open-tuned mandolin has been recorded, that is!

...I think my daughter is more interested in singing but she's only 6...

Chloe is a bit like that too. She'll be 6 in a month or so.

By far her favourite band at the moment is ABBA. She is quite happy to sing 'Thank You For the Music' at the top of her voice on the way to school.

She's also happy to make up songs as she walks along, singing them as she does so. I think she's influenced by Winnie-the-Pooh and his 'Hums' (we read excerpts from the book quite often as bedtime stories).

She has a very good ear for pitch and she keeps in key even unaccompanied. I'm really looking forward to her learning and growing!

Nice stories!

It's good to feel that an appreciation for music - of whatever type - can be passed down through the bloodline. It certainly happened with me. My father was passionate about music and I grew up in a house with no T.V. but a couple of thousand 'Long Play' records which were always being played. All the time.

Possibly as a consequence of that we almost never have the T.V. on in our house either. Chloe gets 20 mins of Childrens Storytime on T.V. before we all sit down for dinner and the rest of the time it's music.

LOL!

I feel it's my duty to point out that whilst it's true Chloe is holding the mandolin in my avatar she can't actually play any tunes on it yet - well' date=' unless strumming an open-tuned mandolin has been recorded, that is!

Chloe is a bit like that too. She'll be 6 in a month or so.

By far her favourite band at the moment is ABBA. She is quite happy to sing 'Thank You For the Music' at the top of her voice on the way to school.

She's also happy to make up songs as she walks along, singing them as she does so. I think she's influenced by Winnie-the-Pooh and his 'Hums' (we read excerpts from the book quite often as bedtime stories).

She has a very good ear for pitch and she keeps in key even unaccompanied. I'm really looking forward to her learning and growing!

[/quote']

All nice stories and good to see that playing music is viral in your families ...

pippy, Chloe is on the right pathway, we can see that from here! FYI, my brother and I started playing our mom's guitar when we were 4-5, we turned the Levin around and played drums on the backside of the guitar, with huge matches! She should try this some day, ... you can get great sounds out of a dreadnought[biggrin]

I may have kids when I grow up... but that's probably not very likely.

My little sister and little brother's kids - and grandkids - aren't into music as my sis and I have been, her singing and me playing mostly guitar and doing some lousy vocals.

m

not realy a follow-up yet...

i got my 6 yr old a toy guitar last xmas just to get him interested, he does listen to me when i play but most of the times he moans it's too loud and he cant hear his cartoons [blink], i'll keep trying and push him in the right direction in a few yrs [cool]

this is him [cool]

19776129836829395410727.jpg

Here's my youngest, 17 now, son James, playing his SG. High school Jazz band.

He kept turning behind the music stand everytime my wife tried to take his picture.[blink]. It's a nice picture of him, but no good views of his SG faded.

It's nice to see everyones' "next" generation..

james.jpg?t=1278012734

Great guys, the facts are there ... follow-up is guaranteed!

stevejoshlay1, one advice ... keep the Gary Moore away from your son because resurrection day is on its way (he's going to make you pay for all the trouble ... with a Bm chord in overdrive on your beauty or do I have to send you a pair of Belgian glasses :) ) BTW great picture man!

steve, didn't know your son's already 17 and playing in the school band! Top!

milod, things can't go wrong with a YouTube star-uncle!

LPguitarman, you've got yourself a band! Wow! Stupid question : do you still need a metronome with 2 twin sons in the band?[biggrin]

Great guys' date=' the facts are there ... follow-up is guaranteed!

stevejoshlay1, one advice ... keep the Gary Moore away from your son because resurrection day is on its way (he's going to make you pay for all the trouble ... with a Bm chord in overdrive on your beauty or do I have to send you a pair of Belgian glasses :( ) BTW great picture man!

[/quote']

haha tbh mate i think he'll have to get off to the gym and lift a few weights before he picks up the GM...it's a real heavy weight [biggrin]

Archived