Gibson Brands Forums

Bigsby B5 Vibrato on an SG Special

Tman5293

Hi,

I want to know what the benefits are of having this installed on my SG Special would be. Would it be hard for me to install myself? The main reason I want this is because 1. it looks awesome and 2. the cool vibrato effect. But on the Bigsby website they had a video about it and guy was saying something like, adding this to your guitar increases tone, or something along those lines. Is this true?

Thanks,

Tman

Easy -

Use the Vibrate - http://www.vibramate.com/vibramate-v5-ST.php

No drilling or routing.

Make sure you use only an original Bigsby B5 with it, the cheaper third party Bigsby knockoffs don't line up right.

As for looks - yeah, it's cool. As for adding tone or sustain - that's highly debatable.

I wouldn't install one unless I planned on using it. But it definitely adds a highly dependable trem/vibrato system. I'm a trem guy - I like to use them and have them on most of my guitars. I've used Bigsby trems and they're very good.

Hmm Im looking at putting a chinese knock off on my Epiphone ( ie, a chinese kinock off gibson xD) can pick one up new off the 'bay for about £35 and the quality looks fairly good as well (and if its not im sure i can take it apart and buff it up to make it all shiny)

Hmm Im looking at putting a chinese knock off on my Epiphone ( ie' date=' a chinese kinock off gibson xD) can pick one up new off the 'bay for about £35 and the quality looks fairly good as well (and if its not im sure i can take it apart and buff it up to make it all shiny)[/quote']

I would never use a knock off...only the real thing. It will probably break or not work to begin with.

Installing a Bigsby on an SG is not that hard. The hard part is deciding what to do with the tail piece posts. My tech filed them down to little shiny domes.

I know some cats like the vibramate, but I hate them. Either install a Bigsby or don't. Yours is a Special like mine, not some sixties Gibson. I put one on mine about two years ago and my only regret is that I did not do it sooner. They are a lot of fun.

l_4f1ccf2733f44e3399628dccbc59368c.jpg

I know some cats like the vibramate' date=' but I hate them. Either install a Bigsby or don't.[/quote']

I don't really get this. The Vibramate just simplifies the install process and allows you to use pre-exsisting holes, then you don't have any messy posts leftover from the tail piece. There's no real downside to using it, other than the price of buying one. It's a much cleaner install.

I don't really get this. The Vibramate just simplifies the install process and allows you to use pre-exsisting holes' date=' then you don't have any messy posts leftover from the tail piece. There's no real downside to using it, other than the price of buying one. It's a much cleaner install. [/quote']

I was wondering that as well...

evol - have you tried the vibramate method? (I've not tried either yet, btw) is there a difference in behaviour or tone?

I would never use a knock off...only the real thing. It will probably break or not work to begin with.

Same for me, if i was putting it on my gibson, but since my epiphone is essensially a knock off, im much more willing to give it a shot, at best i save a lot of money at worst i loose a little

I don't really get this. The Vibramate just simplifies the install process and allows you to use pre-exsisting holes' date=' then you don't have any messy posts leftover from the tail piece. There's no real downside to using it, other than the price of buying one. It's a much cleaner install. [/quote']

IMO the cleanest intall for a Bigsby is from the factory when a guitar has never been setup for a stoptail. But that's not the case most of the time. I agree with you though. I think the Vibramate is great. Like you said it simplifies and cleans up the installation.

I also like how evol did his though. Cool SG. That's the old school way and I'm not the type of person to be super concerned about holes. It's more about function for me. I don't think you can go wrong either way but I think the Vibramate is great. I may get the short maestro vibramate and put it on my SG when it finally comes out.

How is the break angle at the bridge with a Vibramate? Outside of the fact that you are not mounting the Bigsby directly to the body, this is my biggest question. Just from the photos it looks like the Vibramate puts the Bigsby too close to the bridge. Guess I would have to play an SG with one to find out how it is.

So, no, I have not seen a Vibramate in person or used one.

Archived