Gibson Brands Forums

I need some inspiration...

Silenced Fred

I'm going crazy writing songs. I have like 3 or 4 in the works, and they tend to cross sometimes. I need to get down the guitar parts so I can put them to bed until I rehearse with the band, but I am having problems coming up with the rhythm. Any really good rhythm playing on albums or songs? I just need to get the gears moving. Thanks guys

Songwriting like love' date=' Grasshopper.

If no easy, no be good.

Just sayin'......[/quote']

Lyrics are easy for me. I have an idea of the guitar parts, but I just want some inspiration of cool rhythms, chord changes, something

Are you trying to come up with riffs or actual chord progressions? I don't do much writing, but think The Beatles are about the best place to go for really interesting, inventive chords and melodies. I'm not saying try to sound like them, just get some ideas of using more than I, IV and V chords.

Something that works for me is, try to write the melody without your guitar in hand. All of us are creatures of habit and we have our standard riffs and progressions that we love and can overuse if we are not careful.

Once I get a good handle on the melody, then I find it on guitar. It keeps my melodies from all sounding alike.

Good luck.

Something that works for me is' date=' try to write the melody without your guitar in hand. All of us are creatures of habit and we have our standard riffs and progressions that we love and can overuse if we are not careful.

Once I get a good handle on the melody, then I find it on guitar. It keeps my melodies from all sounding alike.

Good luck.[/quote']

I agree, doing this causes you to be more unique and forces you to challenge yourself more. I use this GP-like program called "Tux Guitar" and write songs in that. I might not be able to play the 160 bpm 16th note patterns right away but it challenges me to learn something I couldn't normally play.

Something that works for me is' date=' try to write the melody without your guitar in hand. All of us are creatures of habit and we have our standard riffs and progressions that we love and can overuse if we are not careful.

Good luck.[/quote']

Thanks, I'll have to work on that. I am doing most of my writing while on the road or actually away from my guitar. I try to listen to a lot of songs, then work on stuff that is similar. Not the same, but similar

I try to listen to a lot of songs' date=' then work on stuff that is similar. Not the same, but similar[/quote']

I dont think copying someone else's style is a good thing, you should try to be original in your own fashion, listen to whats within you, you cant necessarily force song writing either, most great artists have things that flow to them, but the best artists have their own style and sound,, of course they do have influences, Im not saying that,, but copying someone else isnt the best way to go,, be original if youre writing original material [biggrin]

I dont think copying someone else's style is a good thing' date=' you should try to be original in your own fashion, listen to whats within you, you cant necessarily force song writing either, most great artists have things that flow to them, but the best artists have their own style and sound,, of course they do have influences, Im not saying that,, but copying someone else isnt the best way to go,, be original if youre writing original material [cool']

Mainly, I look for cool types of rhythms, lyrical styles, I need a starting point. It doesn't really sound like that song at all. I wish I could find a way to express this better, but it is original.

Archived