Gibson Brands Forums

Opinion needed for next guitar

Silenced Fred

I know I know, but just bear with me. I just want to see what people say. I already know what I'm leaning towards, but I just want to see what everyone else says. Both are similar but different. I have a Les Paul VM Studio, and I'm modding my strat. Which one would you go for and why? I'll be outright, I think I'm gonna go with the 339, but I'm really liking the Trad models... decision, decisions...

Hey dave, you took my 2 cents ... [biggrin]

Fred, you have already a beautiful LP VM Studio, I would go for the hollow-body, for the same reasons Dave mentionned! (but I'm biased, since I'm not having 2 guitars of the same model/type, just because I don't see the need for it)

Single cutaway. Sell your current Paul and make room for the upgrade -- THEN you'll have case left over to put toward anything you like!

And I think Les Paul used a Les Paul to play some amazing jazz. Besides if you do get serious about jazz, those guys are hardline conformists what guitar is 'correct' (single-cut, full-size hollowbody, a la ES 175 etc). Which, of course, is all the more reason to develop chops enough to waste anybody in a cutting contest ... while playing a pointy metal guitar. (you can roll the tone back to zero on those too.)

Okay, so what I'm thinking is get a 339, and I might end up modding my LP with some hotter pickups. Leave that set up for heavier, more gain, and the 339 for all purpose use. Very versatile guitars. Keep any recommendations coming though

The 339 will bring more versatility to you which is probably more important when you number of guitars that you have is small' date=' than having two of the same type of guitar.[/quote']

Gotcha. Like I said, I just needed people to confirm my thoughts... [lol]

PS, I was gonna go with a 339 anyways [lol]

Now I just have to decide on pickups for the LP...

Nathan...

Try this for an odd idea on the LP...

A floating p90 or other sort of single coil from the pick guard. You actually could do that with the 339 too. I've been thinking of it on a cupla my guitars using an old, old (over 40 years old) I bought for an archtop I had and converted to an electric 7-string (doubled g as in a 12-string) back in '67. It'd even give some stereo potential. Buy a new pickguard for the project and figure the mounting so no physical mods of the guitar would be needed....

m

How hot are you wanting the pickups? Any particular tone you're going for?

Not really sure... I'm thinking of maybe doing albino pro in the neck, and pearly gates in the bridge. I know that won't be crazy hot, but I'm open to suggestions

Not really sure... I'm thinking of maybe doing albino pro in the neck' date=' and pearly gates in the bridge. I know that won't be crazy hot, but I'm open to suggestions[/quote']

Seriously check out the modern selection of pickups from BKP if you're willing to drop the cash for hand wound boutique pups. You can get pretty much any range of tones you want. Plenty of youtube demos on them. A couple variations are based around an alnico magnet.

Seriously check out the modern selection of pickups from BKP if you're willing to drop the cash for hand wound boutique pups. You can get pretty much any range of tones you want. Plenty of youtube demos on them. A couple variations are based around an alnico magnet.

Not really sure I want to drop the coin on boutique... I am thinking maybe alnico pro or pearly gates for neck, and recommendation for something to really push an amp, preferably less than 100... NO EMGs!!!!!

Archived