Gibson Brands Forums

Can my L-48 be dated somehow?

parisology

This is my first post here.

I have what I believe is an L-48 model f-hole instrument.

Do the L-48's have a serial number anywhere? I can't find one. I've looked inside with an inspection mirror, and nothing on the outside.

The object of course is to date the guitar. It has a plywood top, that's the main attribute other than a serial number that would help. Thanks.

Hi Parisology,

Welcome to the forum !

If it's an older one (40s-50s), then there should be a factory order number ink-stamped on the inside back.

For narrowing down the year of manufacture, please send the following pictures of the guitar :

* Photos of the instrument in JPG format as an attachment (please limit to 2MB total size) – full front, full back, as well as close ups of the front and back of the headstock, to service@gibson.com or service.europe@gibson.com

Kind regards,

Stijn

My guess is 1954.

Z-1952

Y-1953

X-1954

W-1955

V-1956

U-1957

T-1958

S-1959

R-1960

I think those are the only years this applies to and some models may have used a different method. I know many of the electrics used a number as a prefix.... 5 XXXX would be 1955, 6 XXXX would be '56. Don't take my word as gospel though.

If you held a gun to my head I would say 1954, Factory Order Number 9036 (number doesn't mean much other than a batch number) and 25 means it was the 25th one in that batch (usually a total of 40).

It probably has 19 frets, right?

Funny thing about archtops, the audience can hear you but you can't hear Jack Squat. The sound is very directional.

Don't worry, someone would be happy to give that L-48 a good home.

I'll send you my shipping address if you like.

• 1 year later...

My grandfather left me a guitar that I think is a Gibson L-48 (there was a stamp on the inside I could see through the f hole that said "L-48"). I also see "8737 29" stamped in black ink through the other f hole. Is there any way to get any information about this guitar?

My grandfather left me a guitar that I think is a Gibson L-48 (there was a stamp on the inside I could see through the f hole that said "L-48"). I also see "8737 29" stamped in black ink through the other f hole. Is there any way to get any information about this guitar?

That FON suggests 1951, but detailed photos would help us date it more precisely.

• 1 year later...

My link

Thanks for the information. [thumbup]

This information is taken from some website or is personal knowledge ?

Thanks

I was a mere babe in arms when your guitar was built, so my memory of it going out the door is a bit fuzzy...... [biggrin]

However, the website below is a good but not infallible reference for dating Gibsons using the serial number or FON.

My link

• 3 years later...

Here's a shoot of my 1947 L 48. The FON # is right under the upper F hole.

4 digit number stamped in black ink and a 2 digit number in read pencil right after it.

Sent off an email to Gibson Customer service I think the same email posted here in the

second post and received all the help need to figure out the year.

100_0490sm.JPG

thanks!...looks just like mine. I'll look again

I shined a flashlight into each f hole and looked everywhere inside for a serial #. There is nothing in there at all...no stamp on the back, no stamp on the sides, etc.

Is it possible that they serial # might have been on a piece of paper that had been glued to the inside and maybe came off over the years? I didn't see any indication of glue residue, etc.