Gibson Brands Forums

Neil Young.....what do ya think??

bobrollar

It's somewhat of an enigma to me that Neil Young can't sing or play guitar any better than I can [perhaps not even as good] but he's such an amazing song writer that I've always loved and respected his stuff. You see, no big surprise the song writing is actually the hard part . . . which is why in some cases I don't love or respect other pickers and/or singers that are actually way better than I am at both.

but, that's just me . . .

i was watching a movie called lords of dogtown. it's about the origins of skateboarding. towards the end, this kid shaves his head as old man starts to play. i went out and bought the album harvest, and now have about 15 releases by neil young. been a fan ever since. i saw him at the bridge school benefit in mountainview...

I love Neil Young. He is one of the few artists than can tear out your ears with fuzzed out guitar and five minutes later caress you with a beautiful acoustic ballad. My favorite Young is Live at the Fillmore East with the original Crazy Horse line up backing him up (RIP Danny Whitten). It is so raw and ragged, but the songs are there in full glory.

He best attribute is his fearlessness on telling it like it is. Ohio? f'ing classic. So raw. So true. And the entire Living with War album. Amazing.

Big fan of Neil over here. Heard Live Rust and Ragged Glory when I was about thirteen years old--saw him at Farm Aid the same year. Both of those events changed my life. I love his playing on both acoustic and electric' date=' his vocals, and especially his writing. Everything about him is bold, idiosyncratic and absolutely genuine and definitive. To me, his music just never gets old.[/quote']

XDemonknight, as Neil says..."Rust never sleeps." I once played the song "Powder Finger" in a band. I really nailed Neil's

solos in that song. The other guitar player kept saying to me, "You suck, man." to which I replied, "If you're such a great guitar player, then how come you can't do it?" You gotta let Neil get into your soul, man. Then it sounds freakin' great!

Been a fan' date=' since his "Buffalo Springfield" days! Always will be. His "Lead" playing, somehow, "Fit's" him...

But, I too love the acoustic stuff. Neil's just "Neil!" Kinda like Dylan's just "Dylan!"

Nuff said!

CB[/quote']

Yeh, CB...dig his sound and lyrics on "Mr.Soul" with Buffalo Springfield. Another favorite off the "Harvest" album with the Stray Gators is "Alabama". Just something about that State he doesn't like. #-o

I love Neil and many of his tunes' date=' this is a few years ago but here are a few of his songs. Sorry not the best recordings on Rocking the free world thats the 5150 starting the tune and all leads are mine and the guitar is the old RG550 and the effects used are delay and chorus, the overdrive is from the 5150. You will hear me call for the singer within the first 45 seconds and we had no idea where he disappeared too all the leads are mine and sorry for the drop out when this was recorded it was on a cassette deck; so much has changed is such a little amount of time....

Rocking

The second offering is Hurricane and the LP doing the tune. Dominic started the tune with the opening licks and I played rhythm throughout this tune and all leads.

Hurricane

These are not the best recordings and are about 8 years old now; hope you enjoy them.

Pretty cool updated versions. With those licks you put in it almost sounds like Van Halen covering Neil Young; minus Diamond Dave. I do have to ask - was your drummer bored? He kept whipping out full measure snare fills.

Not at all it was a bad night for him' date=' it was too late to cancel the gig when I found out he was coked up. I found out when he told me he forgot his throne; I mean who forgets his throne? Thats like your strings for the guitar. We did try to make best of the night. This was by far the most popular band I ever was in; 3 years running and we worked every weekend we wanted to work and was rated in the local paper top ten bands 2 years running in Hartford.[/quote']

Ouch. I feel your pain. A band I played in in college was with this amazing drummer. Imagine if Buddy Rich and Dave Lombardo had a kid. He was also an alcoholic. Gigs where we played first or second were great. If we played last, forget it. The last two/three months we were together he would show up so sauced for Sunday noon rehearsals that he could not play. He had checked out by then and didn't want to play the music anymore. Great passive aggressive behavior, eh?

It's somewhat of an enigma to me that Neil Young can't sing or play guitar ...

Yeah, I feel the same way - only more so.

I've always thought NY kind of sounds like cats making kittens - but that's just me, I suppose.

Can't deny that he's popular.

I just don't get it.

Archived