Gibson Brands Forums

Attack of the Japanese Beetles!

Rocky4

They've destroyed my backyard landscaping. Spraying helps the smaller plants, but the ornamental trees are trashed. I put up traps a week ago, but emptying them is tricky. You're supposed to empty them in a bucket of soapy water which kills them, but then you have a bucket of dead beetles, which puts out quite a smell after a while. Then you have to empty it somewhere. Being half redneck, my next plan is to empty the bag in a bucket with a little gasoline. Light and watch the s.o.b.'s burn. Details to follow.......

Asian%20Long%20Horned%20Beetle%202.gif

Is this your culprit?

We've got it bad here in Halifax in Point Plesant Park due to the proximity to the Container pier. The park has been hit hard not only by the thriving population of beetles, but also many trees were destroyed after Hurricane Juan about 8 years ago.

Last week-end I saw a couple on my Apple trees for the first time ever. I used an over-the-counter fruit tree spray. The trees were due for their semi-weekly spraying anyways. I hope this works.

I've read that Japanese Beetle traps tend to attract more beetles than they catch. So... place as far away from your affected plants as possible....

USDA Maps show the whole eastern seaboard to be infested with the little buggers (pun intended) moving west. My county is shown as 'clean', but neighboring counties as infested. I guess it's our turn. [lol]

Asian%20Long%20Horned%20Beetle%202.gif

Is this your culprit?

We've got it bad here in Halifax in Point Plesant Park due to the proximity to the Container pier. The park has been hit hard not only by the thriving population of beetles' date=' but also many trees were destroyed after Hurricane Juan about 8 years ago. [/quote']

Nope, that is what is known as an Asian Long Horn Beetle.

If you've got them, you have a HUGE problem. They've been devastating the tree population in Cook (chicago) county and the collar counties for about 15 years. Containment is a pipe dream.

They say they arrived in wooden pallets from Asia. No known North American natural predators.

Yeah, I know they're called Asian Longhorns, I just wasn't sure if it was a case of multiple names. And yes, they are a huge problem, due to the proximity of the park to the pier they've spread pretty quickly. I had a woman in my store have one in her hair, she must have been sitting outside and too close to a tree or something, and after she knocked it out she couldn't stop checking her hair.

They've destroyed my backyard landscaping. Spraying helps the smaller plants' date=' but the ornamental trees are trashed. I put up traps a week ago, but emptying them is tricky. You're supposed to empty them in a bucket of soapy water which kills them, but then you have a bucket of dead beetles, which puts out quite a smell after a while. Then you have to empty it somewhere. Being half redneck, my next plan is to empty the bag in a bucket with a little gasoline. Light and watch the s.o.b.'s burn. Details to follow.......[/quote']

All this time I thought "Japanese Beatle" was just another name for Yoko!

Being half redneck' date=' my next plan is to empty the bag in a bucket with a little gasoline. Light and watch the s.o.b.'s burn. Details to follow.......[/quote']

I like your style, brother.

Nope' date=' that is what is known as an Asian Long Horn Beetle.

If you've got them, you have a HUGE problem. They've been devastating the tree population in Cook (chicago) county and the collar counties for about 15 years. Containment is a pipe dream.

They say they arrived in wooden pallets from Asia. No known North American natural predators.[/quote']

True and the devastation is very sad to see. In my neighborhood the streets used to be canopied by huge, old trees, but the Asian long horn came through in the 90s and majority of the trees are gone. They are starting to come back, but it takes time.

Ah, the joys of globalization. Nothing like an invasive species to destroy the native habitat. Living on the Great Lakes my entire life I have seen my share. Breaks my heart.

Beetles dying in gas

P1010004.jpg

beetles burning as I let out an evil laugh

P1010005-1.jpg

crispy critters

P1010008.jpg

In my opinion all insects/arachnids are spawn of the devil. This is truly an amazing thing. Good work fellow bug hater! [lol][crying][blink]

Yeah' date=' I know they're called Asian Longhorns, I just wasn't sure if it was a case of multiple names. And yes, they are a huge problem, due to the proximity of the park to the pier they've spread pretty quickly. I had a woman in my store have one in her hair, she must have been sitting outside and too close to a tree or something, and after she knocked it out she couldn't stop checking her hair. [/quote']

Nope, different critter. Japanese Beetles are smaller and more compact. Have a copperish color. They eat the softer part of the leaves in between the veins. This gives the eaten leaves a doily effect. Check out Wikipedia for a picture.

Say' date=' Rocky4. How did you get them beetles to congregate at the bottom of that bucket? It appears you have a funnel or something on top before you lit it up.[/quote']

He had traps set up for them already. He just emptied the traps into the bucket.

Archived