Gibson Brands Forums

A Great Rock & Roll Show Last Night...

zombywoof

Sometimes you just need a big dose of good old rock and roll to get your spirit (as well as your ***) moving. And I got just that last night.

We caught Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in Kansas City. Petty, for me, is one of those guys who just does not get it across on an LP. But I have seen them live twice now and Lordy, the Heartbreakers might just be the greatest live American rock band out there (at least since Big Al Anderson left NRBQ). The highlight of the show for me - their cover of "Oh Well."

Sorry to report no Gibson acoustics were in sight - only a Martin. But there was a slew of Gibson electrics up on the stage. If you get a chance to catch them on the Mojo tour jump on it. You will not regret it. Only disappointment was the opening band - the Drive By Truckers. Not the band (I actually like them) but the sound was so muddy you could not make much out.

I've saw TP and the Heartbteakers four or five times live over the years. My first reaction was how good Mike Campbell the lead guitarist was. IMHO, one of the best guitarists you never heard of. Probably the best backing band ever. (second only to Crazy Horse). It's good to see them and TP re-unite and release a new album (or CD for you younger folks!).

It's good to see them and TP re-unite and release a new album (or CD for you younger folks!).

I had seen Petty before but it was on my wife's to do before I kick the bucket list.

When we got there we found that our ticket price also included a free copy of the Mojo LP. To get it though we had to text message on our phone after which we would recieve instructions on email about how to download the record. Only problem was neither my wife nor I Know how to text. We spent about 15 minutes putzing around with the phone though and did finally figure it out.

Sorry to report no Gibson acoustics were in sight - only a Martin. But there was a slew of Gibson electrics up on the stage. If you get a chance to catch them on the Mojo tour jump on it. You will not regret it. Only disappointment was the opening band - the Drive By Truckers. Not the band (I actually like them) but the sound was so muddy you could not make much out.

Sounds like a great show. Bummer about DBT...I hate the way opening bands often sound at big shows...real shame' date=' because that band is revved up to be sharing the stage with Tom Petty.

Maybe no Gibby acoustics in sight, but here's DBT checking out my '46 J-45.[biggrin

DBT.jpg

ZW --are Tom and the boys doing any silliness in his show ala the 'psycdellic dinosauer' like he was doing back in the 90s or was this a good old rock show? J

I had not seen Petty since the Southern Accents tour so missed the psychedilic dinosaur thing but nope - just the typical big screen footage and a very cool effect on the screen that looked like snow falling but which were in fact white guitar picks.

Maybe no Gibby acoustics in sight' date=' but here's DBT checking out my '46 J-45.[biggrin']

DBT.jpg

Very cool pic. See, now if you had given the DBTs your guitar than maybe I could have reported a Gibson sighting.

Funny though, the DBTs were supposed to stop by and purchase a blonde Hammond B-3 organ a local shop has for sale but I gather the deal fell through.

Very cool pic. See' date=' now if you had given the DBTs your guitar than maybe I could have reported a Gibson sighting.

Funny though, the DBTs were supposed to stop by and purchase a blonde Hammond B-3 organ a local shop has for sale but I gather the deal fell through.

[/quote']

I met them in the afternoon for a photo shoot, and they all tooled with the guitar and liked it much... I offered to leave them the J-45 till the show that night, but I think Patterson Hood was concerned that that it was too valuable to chance. My avatar is the guitar with their signatures. That J-45 has such an ugly overspray (one of the worst I've ever seen), I saw no need to be concerned about having it signed. I'm a big fan.

They do have some Gibbys. Patterson Hood has a J-40 (that Cooley accidentally broke and sounds better for it), and electric, it's all SG and LP.

Sometimes you just need a big dose of good old rock and roll to get your spirit (as well as your ***) moving. And I got just that last night.

We caught Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in Kansas City. Petty' date=' for me, is one of those guys who just does not get it across on an LP. But I have seen them live twice now and Lordy, the Heartbreakers might just be the greatest live American rock band out there (at least since Big Al Anderson left NRBQ). The highlight of the show for me - their cover of "Oh Well."

Sorry to report no Gibson acoustics were in sight - only a Martin. But there was a slew of Gibson electrics up on the stage. If you get a chance to catch them on the Mojo tour jump on it. You will not regret it. Only disappointment was the opening band - the Drive By Truckers. Not the band (I actually like them) but the sound was so muddy you could not make much out. [/quote']

My daughter went to the concert in KC the other night and I'm still kicking myself for not going! I hope he comes back to KC again.

Reminds me a lot of Robbie Robertson of the The Band.
Robbie and Cambell both play the song and work on fitting into the band, vs flash for its own sake.

I don't hear a similarity in their sound, tho. Robbie is a pick and finger guy, metal pics. Also, at least in The Band, Manual's piano freed JRR to drop in and out, play short riffs, almost like horn shots. The overall sound is aggressive, trebly. I hear Campbell as a more fluid player, long flowing lines, where jRR is tight and spikey. If I were to make a tone comparison of the top of my head to MC, it would be Brain May-- different genres, sure, but what makes them similar is their dedication to crafting an ensemble sound, their ability to play a variety of styles (bluesy, heavy, R&R) and a penchant for long flowing sustained lines. My 2c.

Robbie and Cambell both play the song and work on fitting into the band' date=' vs flash for its own sake.

[/quote']

My point exactly! I see them as the "glue" that holds the overall sound of the band together as opposed to the "everybody look at me" role which most lead guitar players want to take.

What I love is you can master the individual parts to a Tom Petty song like "Breakdown" "Free Falling" or "American Girl" pretty darn quickly. It is getting all those parts to fit together to forge a sound that is at once familiar but definitey yours which is tough as all get out - and that is the mark of a truly great band.

Archived