Gibson Brands Forums

El gusano

Bowdiddley

As you may know National Tequila Day is July 24th, thats tomorrow! But did you know it is considered North America's first native-born distilled spirit?

I'd like to ask all my Gibby forum buddies to raise a shot glass and enjoy.

Maybe a derailment, but I'm from So Cal for a long time. I remember when every country road was mile and miles of orange groves. Everywhere you looked, it was orange groves. It's not like that any longer.

I had the opportunity to go fishing in Mexico back in '03. A few hundred mile north of Guadalajara... the bus ride through the state of Jalisco, near the city of Tequila made me think of that. Miles and miles of agave...

There was (then) a shortage of the good stuff... I found it hard to believe, what with all of that crop...

Maybe a derailment' date=' but I'm from So Cal for a long time. I remember when every country road was mile and miles of orange groves. Everywhere you looked, it was orange groves. It's not like that any longer.

I had the opportunity to go fishing in Mexico back in '03. A few hundred mile north of Guadalajara... the bus ride through the state of Jalisco, near the city of Tequila made me think of that. Miles and miles of agave...

There was (then) a shortage of the good stuff... I found it hard to believe, what with all of that crop...

[/quote']

Growing up in Garden Grove we were surrounded by some of the best strawberry fields and citrus orchards. Too bad it's given way to urban sprawl.

I saw a great Sunday Morning feature on Tequila recently. It takes a long time for blue agave to mature. Then add on the time to process it (roasting, mashing and distilling) and then for the good stuff, to age it, it certainly is a craft worthy of lifting a glass too.

Take A Ride on the Tequila Express

In Riverside or So. Cal in general.

Remember all of the borcoli and cauliflower farms in Costa Mesa?

How about the endless orchards and bell pepper fields in Irvine?

Brea was the same way. Citrus orchards as far as the eye could see.

There once was a reason it was called Orange County.

Sometimes we'd sneek into the local strawberry fields and get a big box of strawberries and make margaritas all night long.

Sometimes we'd sneek into the local strawberry fields and get a big box of strawberries and make margaritas all night long.

Ah, yes...

Lets not forget the salad bowl of the world,man I've never seen so much artichoke in my life!

There was (then) a shortage of the good stuff... I found it hard to believe' date=' what with all of that crop...

[/quote']

There was a plague ruining the plants, it got nasty enough that trucks with healthy harvested piñas where being carjacked at gun point. It looks like they brough the problem under control.

Tequila is a sipping drink, a lot of people here in the US down 2 onces in one gulp or two and call it a shot and then they hate it to the point they can't smell it.

I drink it in small shots and pace myself, it is real good that way.

To me if you have to down a shot in more than 1 gulp, you can't call that a shot, that's chugging. just me[biggrin]

There was a plague ruining the plants' date=' it got nasty enough that trucks with healthy harvested piñas where being carjacked at gun point. It looks like they brough the problem under control.

Tequila is a sipping drink, a lot of people here in the US down 2 onces in one gulp or two and call it a shot and then they hate it to the point they can't smell it.

I drink it in small shots and pace myself, it is real good that way.

To me if you have to down a shot in more than 1 gulp, you can't call that a shot, that's chugging. just me[biggrin']

I suppose - I've shied away from Mr Tequila ever since those scenes in Caddyshack...

I think I'm better for it!

This one time, at the University campus bar I went with friends of friends for lunch at the grand opening.

We were sitting in one of those jacuzzi boths, the ones with more seating and less exits.

The guy in the back of the booth ordered fried pepperoni and a beer.

Then he decides he wants a shot of tequila.

It apparently had the mentos and diet pepsi effect on his stomach.

All we heard was a squishy sound, like the sound you get when you wrap your hand around a faucet and turn it on.

I was one of the lucky ones... Who was able to get out of the way, the others, they weren't so lucky.

Archived