Gibson Brands Forums

2 x 12 Ext. Cab Question

Rewddawg1

Thanks to the help of TboneSullivan I found out I was running my Marshall thru the wrong ext. cab. I misunderstood how the impedence works. I had the amp switched to 8 ohms and was running thru an 8 ohm cab. This was wrong for my amp. If you go to the SG section under Amp question you will get a better idea of what was wrong. Anyway luckily this did not damage my amp. Now I have the correct cab and it is a Genz-Benz 2 X 12. This cab really rocks. Seems like my output has doubled and the bottom end coming out of this cab is unreal. I thought my rig was loud before but it's a blow your face off setup now. Here's a pic of my setup. I also returned my Vox Night Train and got the Orange Tiny Terror. That was the 2nd Vox they sent me and I kept getting a loud hum, buzzing and crackling noise when either the gain or volume went past 12 o clock. If both were turned past 12 o clock forget it. Anyhoo I'm happy now. PLEASE HELP I HAVE A QUESTION ON POST #31.

IMG_0198.jpg

Rewd.

Nice! It must throw some good low end thrust too. I have a 2x12 ported cab that keep meaning to getting around to replacing the speakers in it to stack it up with my other 2x12.

Like I said the bottom end is unbelievable. Just in drop D and using the Tiny Terror I can make the walls and floor rumble.

So the Marshal combo wasn't loud enough for ya' date=' LOL. Nice set-up. What do you use the Vox for?[/quote']

I used to use the Vox for practice and smaller get togethers. I say used to because that was the second one I had problems with. So I gave it back and got the Orange Tiny Terror. I will eventually be getting an orange 1 x 12 for the TT so I don't have to haul around such big equipment for small jam sessions.

Thanks to the help of TboneSullivan I found out I was running my Marshall thru the wrong ext. cab. I misunderstood how the impedence works. I had the amp switched to 8 ohms and was running thru an 8 ohm cab. This was wrong for my amp.

Uh what?

Yes with my Marshall the impedence needs to be 16 ohms. Only when I run both the internal and external speakers at the same time do set my amp to 8 ohms.

Oh. I musta got confused. 8 is 8, 16 is 16.

Count 'em up. Ohm's law is not only a good idea:

it's the law.

Oh. I musta got confused. 8 is 8' date=' 16 is 16.

Count 'em up. Ohm's law is not only a good idea:

it's the law.[/quote']

Not sure what you mean by your comment but read the copy of the page from my Marshall manual. The bottom left paragraph.

IMG_0192.jpg

That site is referring to something different and is just a forum to boot. If you read my manual above in post # 11 you would understand that everything must be of 16 ohms impedence. The only time to switch my amp to 8 ohms is when I am running internal & external speakers rated at 16 ohms. or 2 cabs rated at 16 ohms. I thought the manual was pretty self explanatory. My problem was I totally missed that last paragraph because it starts out talking about the TSL60 which is an amp head. My mess up.

The external cab is wired for 16 ohms. Because my internal speakers are wired for 16 ohms my amp should be set at 8 ohms. Tbone and I discussed this for a few minutes in the SG thread under Amp Question. I talked to a tech today and he said the mismatch was not as harmful as it would have been if I ran my amp at 16 ohms and only had an 8 ohm cab. Anyway I had a good reason to get a better ext. cab with the wife she didn't know how to argue against possibly ruining my Marshall.

The external cab is wired for 16 ohms. Because my internal speakers are wired for 16 ohms my amp should be set at 8 ohms. Tbone and I discussed this for a few minutes in the SG thread under Amp Question. I talked to a tech today and he said the mismatch was not as harmful as it would have been if I ran my amp at 16 ohms and only had an 8 ohm cab. Anyway I had a good reason to get a better ext. cab with the wife she didn't know how to argue against possibly ruining my Marshall.

Well, none of the manufacturers seem to go out of their way to explain themselves...

But it still come down to the total ohm load... most tube amps don't have a problem with a 1 or 2 x mismatch, but optimum power comes when matched.

Didn't mean to get you riled up - I just misunderstood what was being said.

Archived