Gibson Brands Forums

All-In-One Home Theater Systems Advice

rocketman

So our new puppy totally ripped up our family room carpet (darn dog!!). Time for a new carpet but the good news is that I'll need to move all the furniture out, including my 12 year old home theater system. Sounds like a good excuse to get a new one!

I don't know anything about them so I need some advice. We don't use it much and I'm not a freak about getting the best one. Anything under $750 would be ok. I want something that will get me through the next 10 years. I was looking at this. It seems to have all the latest bells and whistles.

Anyone have one of these? Any other recommendations?

... I'll need to move all the furniture out' date=' including my 12 year old home theater system. Sounds like a good excuse to get a new one! [/quote']

I'm watching this one closely. Our ten+ year old HT ("the new speakers") are in need of replacement, too.

I wonder if I ordered some from Samsung if they'd make me wait 3 months and then cancel my order?

I have a Yamaha system (integrated amp) and provided my own speakers. While the speakers are older its a he11 of a system' date=' the mains are Klisph Heresy speakers, the secondary or extension speakers are JBL Studio monitors, the center speakers are KLH center speakers with 3 two inch speakers each (pair) and finally I have a Klisph 1000 watt subwoofer with 12 inch speaker. The KLH and Sub are newer (since 2005) the Heresy are from 86 and the JBL's are early 90's. I used to have a huge Pre-amp / Power amp with DBX rack mount equipt but gave all that up for the Yamaha. Except for the cheaper systems you really can't go wrong; he11 mine is rated for over 400 a side at 8ohms and it weighs a ton itself. Good luck.[/quote']

I wanna watch "The Fifth Element" at your place.

Yeah my father in law has that same Sony system and it's way more than he needs. He was lost from the get go.

I can't tell ya the number of times he's called me and asked if I'd come over and fix it because he had no sound or lousy hiss or no bass etc.

I personal like to keep it simple as possible since my kids and wife both use it. I have a pioneer system thats been going strong now for 10 years.

I think you'll be fine with anyone of the major brands out there today.

Its not rocket science.......... oh wait!

lol

For under $1000.00 there is not much in the terms of performance or reliability. If that is

what the budget calls for get it.

I have sold and installed many HTIB and they sound fine that is until you compare it to a

real receiver and quality speakers.

Right now Martin Logan has a 5.1 speaker system that is incredible for under a grand but

you still would have to get a receiver and DVD.

My personal system

Atlantic Technology speakers 6200 series

B&K Receiver

OPPO DVD player

Runco 50 Plasma

URC 980 remote

Thanks all. My biggest issue is that I'm not that really into the home theater sound. I don't watch much TV and the wife still doesn't even care enough to even look at the HD channels, let alone the sound of a high quality system. Honestly I use it maybe 2-3 times a month.

I think I'm going to go with a Denon - 600W 5.1-Ch. A/V Home Theater Receiver and a Sony - 3D/Internet Connectable/Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-ray Disc Player. I'll keep the current speakers I have.

I have a 15 year old Sony stereo receiver.

Surround Sound, 5.1, Dolby, blah, blah, blah...

I use two speakers for the stereo out from my 25 year old TV.

I like the Bose systems, small and not too far beyond your price point.

Got the system yesterday and it's more than adequate for our needs. I didn't know about the whole internet capability of modern receivers. I got that working last night. Watching and listening to HD youtube videos on an HDTV with 5.1 surround sound is much cooler than I thought it would be! The receiver has a bunch of neat websites installed. It's pretty neat...

Archived