Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone know anything about transferring photos from camera to computer?

KL

Just wondering if anyone can help with this. I had a new memory card in my camera. Took some pictures transferred them onto my computer ok (using iPhoto). Kept the originals, then took some more photos. Now when I connect my camera to my computer iPhoto can not see the latest pictures I have taken. This has happened with the last couple of memory cards (Sandisk) I have had. The photos are still on the card and can be viewed in the camera, so I am sure they are not lost. But any ideas on how to retrieve them please? Thank you.

Most camera's will show up on your PC as an additional hard drive when you plug the usb cable in. You just copy and paste them to the folder you want. Maybe the camera is creating a new fold on the memory card ?

When you plug the camera or memory card into your computer does an icon pop up on your desktop as well? If so, double click on that icon, and the photos should pop up in a folder there. Then you should be able to select and drag/drop them into iPhoto. -I had a similar problem with iPhoto a couple months back. Check if there are any software updates that need downloaded too, it might be something like that. Good luck.

When you plug the camera or memory card into your computer does an icon pop up on your desktop as well? If so' date=' double click on that icon, and the photos should pop up in a folder there. Then you should be able to select and drag/drop them into iPhoto. -I had a similar problem with iPhoto a couple months back. Check if there are any software updates that need downloaded too, it might be something like that. Good luck.[/quote']

No icon appears on the desk top, but thanks for the idea!

I don't have my Mac infront of me, but consider a "refresh device" option in the toolbar along the top left after you plug in the camera.

Do you have it set to automatically transfer photos upon connection? If so disable that, just in case.

Like you said, make sure it's not deleting the photos after transfer.

What do you see when you connect it anyway? Just the same pictures from the last time you uploaded?

Most cameras come with software for downloading photos taken. Some laptops will take the card directly as yours does. Try searching the drives and see if it comes up as something like a G drive, much like a thumb drive would.

Thanks for the replies.

In my case my (Nikon Coolpix P3) camera connecr directly to the computer (iMac) via a cable.

There is no place to insert a card directly in my computer at present.

I could not find a 'refresh device' option, and it is not deleting anything (thankfully).

When I connected my camera the latest batch of pictures I had taken were just not there on iPhoto.

Usually when you connect the camera to the computer, then switch the camera on, iPhoto opens automatically. Then the pictures on the card in the camera appear on the screen and there is an 'IMPORT' icon that you click on and the pictures are imported.

There is a box you can tick to say not to import duplicates.

It usually works really well.

Thanks to those who have replied with suggestions, it is very helpful.

When I transfer photos to my computer, MacBook Air, I do it like this. Plug the cable from you camera to your mac. iphoto will open automatically and ask you if you want to import the photos. Say no and close Iphoto. Look for a hard drive icon on your desktop that represents your camera and double click that icon. The camera drive will open and you will see two folders, DCIM and MISC, double click the DCIM folder. When that folder opens you should see another folder or folders that contain your photos. Open the folder and click on a photo to open it to see if you have the photos you are looking for. If not click the back arrow of that dialog box and open one of the other folders and repeat until you find the photos you are looking for. If you have to click the back arrow to view the other photos make sure you click the back arrow of the dialod box and not the back arrow of the browser window.

After you have found the photos you want make a new folder on your desktop, name it accordingly and drag the photod from your cameras drive to the folder on your desktop. From there you can reopen iphoto, create a new album and drag the photos from your folder on the desktop into the album.

This is the long way around but if your camera has several different folders and iphoto doesn't see them all it a good work around.

It would be easy to help on a PC... Just open "My Computer", then the camera....

No clue on a Mac... but...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2498

http://www.ehow.com/how_4762709_download-pictures-mac-computer.html

http://www.usc.edu/libraries/locations/leavey/tutorials/assets/g7-mac.pdf

http://www.rickysays.com/transfer-photos-from-cell-phone-to-Mac-OSX

http://www.ehow.com/how_6187985_upload-nikon-coolpix-l18-camera.html

Perhaps one of these may help. If not, Enter the following into Google and see what pops up:

+Nikon +Coolpix3 +transfer +pictures +Mac

Good Luck!

One other thing that you might be able to try is get a card reader (I got mine for less than $20) for your SD card. -That should show up on your desk top when you plug it in. Try contacting Mac support. They've been really helpful when I've had to contac them.

Archived