Gibson Brands Forums

egnater rebel 20 vs 30 vs tiny terror

Kzin

Im looking for a new amp and I´m a little torn between the egnater rebel 20, rebel 30 and tiny terror. I have only had a chance to try the tiny terror. What I liked about it was that it sounded very organic, dynamic and responsive. The sound of the guitar realy came trough. It worked very well to clean up the sound with the volume knob on the guitar. The amp sounded very good at the point of breakup. When I increased the gain I thought it sounded a bit to much like a hornest nest. A bit fizzy fuzzy and not enough bottom end.

How do you think the rebel would compare? And apart from the extra features, how do the rebel 20 and 30 compare when it comes to volume, tone, headroom, and how big it sounds?

I've played the Tiny Terror, and I felt the same way about it. I rather liked it.

I haven't played any Eganters however. The only thing I can weigh in with is headroom. While the Orange is 15w, it will have the least headroom of the 3, obviously since it has the lowest wattage. The rebel 30 will have the most, obviously.

The thing is though, these low wattage amps aren't really designed for clean headroom. But if that's what you're going for, out of these 3, the Rebel 30 would win.

Also, the Eganters have 3 band EQ, so you could dial in your tone a bit more precisely.

I've never tried a Tiny Terror so I can't really compare. I have a Rebel 20 with two Egnater cabs and I love the tone. It has more head room than I expected and sounds great cranked. Even dialed down to 1 watt it's pretty loud.

The thing is though' date=' these low wattage amps aren't really designed for clean headroom. But if that's what you're going for, out of these 3, the Rebel 30 would win. [/quote']

I play a hr deville at the moment and the cleans are too clean. I want a litte dirt to them, so I figured the rebel will give me that at different volume levels thanks to the adjustable wattage.

I tried both, as well as the Vox night train. I bought the Tiny Terror. I loved the simplicity of the amp. I was able to dial in a great sound within seconds. I felt the rebel had too many bells and whistles. It felt gimmicky to me. The sound on the TT sounded way more organic and seemed a better fit with my Les Paul.

My tele with single coils doesn't like the amp. It's just not a good match. I play the tele through a Blues Jr.

The Blues Jr. is also the reason I went with the Tiny Terror. I already had a great sounding "clean" amp. I wanted something with a little more balls.

If you are looking for a lunch-box amp, I also would try the Egnater Tweaker...

I tried both' date=' as well as the Vox night train. I bought the Tiny Terror. I loved the simplicity of the amp. I was able to dial in a great sound within seconds. I felt the rebel had too many bells and whistles. It felt gimmicky to me. The sound on the TT sounded way more organic and seemed a better fit with my Les Paul.

My tele with single coils doesn't like the amp. It's just not a good match. I play the tele through a Blues Jr.

The Blues Jr. is also the reason I went with the Tiny Terror. I already had a great sounding "clean" amp. I wanted something with a little more balls.

If you are looking for a lunch-box amp, I also would try the Egnater Tweaker...

[/quote']

That's the key. I think especially with these "one trick pony" amps, the good thing is they are fairly cheap and you can get one for dirty, one for clean, for about the price of an amp that can do something similar.

I really liked the Dual Terror. With the gain on halfway, and the volume on the guitar at about 7 sweet cleans I was able to achieve.

I tried both' date=' as well as the Vox night train. I bought the Tiny Terror. I loved the simplicity of the amp. I was able to dial in a great sound within seconds. I felt the rebel had too many bells and whistles. It felt gimmicky to me. The sound on the TT sounded way more organic and seemed a better fit with my Les Paul.

[/quote']

I thought the TT sounded best at mid gain, just before or after breake up. With more gain it became too fizzy fuzzy with not enough bottom end for my liking. I played it with a strat. How would you compare the TT with the rebel at mid gain setting and the same amps at high gain settings?

In what way did you find the TT more organic sounding than the rebel?

I would agree on the breakup issue...not so great at high gain levels. I never play with high gain. I needed an amp that came me some crunch at lower volume levels---which the TT does. It doesn't take much to push it into break-up land.

I didn't A/B the amps--so I can't really comment on whether one was better at mid-grain versus another.

I just felt that my Les Paul sounded the best through the TT. I sounded more "natural" through the TT...and the simplicity of the amp forced me to use the guitar's tone controls more...which is perhaps why I would say the tone was more organic.

Does that make sense?

Also, my tele doesn't sound as good through the TT as it does the Les Paul. The amp really lets my LP shine. So if you are playing a strat through it, that might be a consideration. I didn't buy it for the tele.

• 2 weeks later...

I would agree on the breakup issue...not so great at high gain levels. I never play with high gain. I needed an amp that came me some crunch at lower volume levels---which the TT does. It doesn't take much to push it into break-up land.

I didn't A/B the amps--so I can't really comment on whether one was better at mid-grain versus another.

I just felt that my Les Paul sounded the best through the TT. I sounded more "natural" through the TT...and the simplicity of the amp forced me to use the guitar's tone controls more...which is perhaps why I would say the tone was more organic.

Does that make sense?

Also, my tele doesn't sound as good through the TT as it does the Les Paul. The amp really lets my LP shine. So if you are playing a strat through it, that might be a consideration. I didn't buy it for the tele.

Yeah, I think I understand what you mean. I found the tone in the TT to be very "pure". The tone of the guitar realy came through. I plan on using strats with my amp as well, so therefore the rebel might be better suited. Also to my understanding the high gain stages of the rebel are supposed to be more smooth, so maybe it will sound better at higher gain setting and with strat-type guitars.

I have an Egnater Rebel 20 and a Tweaker. They both have an effects loop, which the Orange doesn't.

The Rebel 30 is pretty much like the Rebel 20 except it has reverb and I think it has a direct out.

They're all good amps. The Tweaker is very versatile as far as tone goes. A great amp for the money.

I have an Egnater Rebel 20 and a Tweaker. They both have an effects loop, which the Orange doesn't.

The Rebel 30 is pretty much like the Rebel 20 except it has reverb and I think it has a direct out.

They're all good amps. The Tweaker is very versatile as far as tone goes. A great amp for the money.

Im realy intresseted in the rebel because of the variable wattage. How do you find the the tone at the point of break up? Do you find it "organic", or "pure"? Does the guitars own sound come thru? Is it possible to get nice blues tones with strats from it, like steve ray vaughans of matt schofields tone? How about angus type sound from an sg?

Archived