Gibson Brands Forums

To case or not to case?

justshane

My only real concern with going in & out of the case all the time is a handling error resulting in a ding.

Bang it against metal on the case' date=' or hit something as you're carrying it.

Seen it happen a million times, even with the case on the floor.[/quote']

Sadly true, very true, most of the dings in my Gibsons happened when putting them back in the case.

Yeah, I've sometimes wondered why somebody didn't come up with a sort of hinge to keep guitar cases open, and/or with hardware that would be a bit more kind to a guitar finish were one to bash the guitar and hardware.

Hmmmm.

m

case will no doubt offer better protection .keeping them out of a case is pretty much a convenience thing and you need to pay attention to things ,such as where the guitar will be,are little kids around who could be horseplaying and damage it or how huimid is it,how much sunlight gets exposed to it,etc. I use mine alot and have most of them out in the open in my living room,hanging on the wall with string swing guitar hangers.I dust them and clean them regularily.I also use them frequently.If I am going to be gone for a while or people coming over ,I will take them down and put them in their cases.I have a rack made that the cases rest on horizontally.

Cases are no doubt best protection,but if you trust those around you and keep eye on things ,its nice to have them readily available and in the open kind of.

This may sound half silly, but I wonder if anybody has done any sort of research into this - or if some sort of research even is possible.

The two variables, as I see them, are general preservation of the guitar from environmental changes cased vs. uncased and damage of putting a guitar into a case after playing each session vs. not.

I tend personally toward the latter; and even if left out of the case, to lay the guitar on top of the case itself. But there are no children in the household nor among guests.

m

Hey, I live in northern OZ and all my girls live in a non airconditioned space (humid) and I think they love it ,.I'm sure they sound better every day! I have a theory. All those old vintage babies that we salivate over so pashionately must have sucked in more moisture over the years than a sponge thrown in a bath .These girls all scream like banshee's at the moon!!!And look amazing.

LP Pearly Gates

es 137 (candy)

CS 356-B Koa

gretsh Billy-Bo

Epiphone EA250 with B(1972)

Yammy SG700se

Ibanez '83 roadstar (sunburst birdseye)

They all say g'day to y'all.

I hang 20 or so the rest go into cases. the hangers have been on the wall now for eight years, never had a issue there in the studio the wall was made specifically for that and as for dust no issue that's what feather dusters are for. Over the years the only two scratches i have ever knowingly put on a guitar were done by cases.

Three 75 pound rated anchors into an all metal "Off the Wall" brand hanger and I'm not worried about them falling even the recording model at 12 lbs. 3 oz

For safety from being dropped, cracked, stepped on, bumped into, pilfered or finger printed. Case them.

For humidity issues, if the room they are kept in is humidity controlled and cordoned off during your absence from kids and other forms of wild life (cats, dogs, ferrets, spouse or other co-habitants, etc.) It's okay to leave them out on a stand that won't eat the finish. Otherwise, Case them.

I have never dinged my guitar from closing the case on it.

I have knocked my Gibby off the regular stand though...faceplant...chipped the nut a little....any closer to the low E string slot and I would have had to replace the not possibly.

Archived