Gibson Brands Forums

Any baseball / softball players out there????

duane v

I use a Rawlings "Heart of the Hide' date='" 12 3/4" glove.

I love it.

Their "Pro Preferred," are awesome mits. Expensive and should last a lifetime.[/quote']

Now you're talkin...

I have a 85 Rawlings HOH and though I need to get it looked at to get it looking nice, it's still a great glove.... I also have a few Nokonas

My 1985 Made in USA HOH (11 inch glove)

hoh1.jpg?1281298795

My 1989 Made in USA MAG Series Rawlings (12.75")

P7240232b.jpg?1281298968

I caught when I was a kid. I had (still have) a Rawlings Ed Bailey signature model mitt. (Ed Bailey?! That sort of dates me, doesn't it?) I switched to first base before I went to high school. I wore out one and then bought another (and still have my) Rawlings Heart of the Hide DCT trapper. I made the cut as a freshman in college, but after being the played-every-inning-of-every-game stud-duck high school junior and senior, in college I didn't relish riding the bench behind a first baseman only one year ahead of me and a heck of a lot better player than I was. Plus, my grades were suffering. So, I agonizingly met with the coach and told him I was hanging up my spikes. I then devoted my college academic life to digging toads out of the mud and NOT pouring water into acid (a Biology/Chemistry major) and my college extra-curricular life to growing my hair, chasing hippy chicks, and playing a little intramural fast-pitch.

I've played a lot of slow-pitch since college, and I've bought a lot of leather, but those old mitts are still my favorites.

Played ball since I was old enough to throw it. Started off as a catcher then in 4th grade made the switch to short and pitching. Was going to move on to college ball until I tore my throwing arm out of socket in football my senior year in H.S. Still using my Nokona. 12 years now and just as good as the day I bought it, oiled once.

Played a lot of high level baseball through high school. As a third baseman I used a big floppy Rawlings "Brooks Robinson" model to scoop up grounders at the "hot corner". Played a little softball in my early twenties and that floppy glove was terrible for softball. In fact I wasn't really cut out for the Sunday afternoon beer league softball either. When I was 27 I found a competitive men's baseball league. I got an invitation to tryouts, but before the season started I blew my shoulder out playing hockey.

End of athletic career. But I still have my Brooks Robinson glove. I even take it out and oil it up every few years.

Not much hardball anymore (I'm 59 with no health insurance). I still play quite a bit of softball though.

Gibson for guitars--- Rawlings for Baseball gloves (made in USA, please).

I have 2 that I work with currently, they're about 10-12 years old. Both are 11 1/2 inchers (I play mostly infield).

A black/tan PRO225BTG (basket web) and a tan GG15SC (2 piece solid web). (No camera handy).

I also have a PRO1000B, from the early 80s still game ready (except the thumb strap is partly off),

L5Larry- I still have a mid 1960s Brooks Robinson model (XPG-3--not quite "game ready") that was anything but big and floppy- it's an 11 1/2 incher, always small and tight.

My passion, other than music, is coaching baseball. I manage a 17-19 year old team. One of the best gloves I've seen over the past couple of years is the Roy Hobbs Series. The gloves are hand cut, oil rubbed, and feel and look like they are 60 years old. (Kind of a VOS model. HA.) I think they are in the $100-$130 dollar range, but really worth it. They make infield, outfield, catchers and first base mitts.

All leather, Montgomery Wards Stan Musial model.

Liberally oiled with neatsfoot oil every year. I've had it 40 years and only had to re-string it once.

It had a big 'basket' designed especially for softball. I took some ribbing when I first used it in HS baseball. By the time I was a Senior, all the major league players were using, essentially, softball gloves with the big baskets. Go figure.

This was my first REAL glove. It's interesting that my first glove and my first guit tar are about the only thing I still have from my youth. How 'bout you guys? Your first glove still with you?

Sadly, when I helped coach my sons' and daughers' summer league ball teams, None of the kids with the nice, all leather or even palm side only, leather gloves would even THINK of oiling their gloves. [cool] They just let them deteriorate until Mommy and Daddy bought them a new one. I've come to hate limestone infields. They dry out those leather gloves after only one summer.

L5Larry- I still have a mid 1960s Brooks Robinson model (XPG-3--not quite "game ready") that was anything but big and floppy- it's an 11 1/2 incher' date=' always small and tight.[/quote']

Well it seemed big at the time, and definitely got loose as a goose. My "Brooks" would probably be late 60's or early 70's. The "Brooks" replaced my worn out "Dal Maxville" (St. Louis Cardinals 60's shortstop). I just pulled it out, it also seems to be an 11 1/2 incher, and the model (best I can read after 40 years of glove oil) is XFCB 17.

Ah, the good ole days, when one of my favorite things was knowing that I had a weekend baseball tournament coming up, and would get to play 5 games in two days in 100 degree St. Louis heat and humidity.

Well it seemed big at the time' date=' and definitely got loose as a goose. My "Brooks" would probably be late 60's or early 70's. The "Brooks" replaced my worn out "Dal Maxville" (St. Louis Cardinals 60's shortstop). I just pulled it out, it also seems to be an 11 1/2 incher, and the model (best I can read after 40 years of glove oil) is XFCB 17.

Ah, the good ole days, when one of my favorite things was knowing that I had a weekend baseball tournament coming up, and would get to play 5 games in two days in 100 degree St. Louis heat and humidity.

[/quote']

I remember Dal Maxville-- good ballplayer

My "Brooks" replaced a Spalding Pete Ward model that got "eaten" by my brother's Doberman.

Archived